U-Serve - time to move on?

The are some UPnP settings that allow you to set to transcode from Flac to WAV on the US’s desktop console (nothing to do with n-Serv).

@davidhendon is the expert here, and maybe he can chip in.

If the US is set to back up to the nas, once the files are converted to flac, as explained above, it will then back up the flac to the nas. But maybe that’s not what you are asking.

I changed the name of the folder where the US saved the backup files to Nas prior to starting the file conversion to save getting the Wav and Flac files mixed up. When the conversion and Flac backup was completed several days later and i knew all was good i deleted the Wav backup folder on the Nas.

Thanks guys. Ignore me, I’m talking nonsense as I just plug a WD Hard Disk thing into my computer and manually back up my Universe files on to it every few months. I don’t have a separate NAS which is what I think is needed in the scenarios you are talking about.

All my files on the US are WAV (Jason told me that was best) so I think I can convert the backed up WAV files that sit on my WD into FLAC using the DBPoweramp app I have on my PC.

I must say I do find all this stuff pretty tedious!

You can’t do what you mention in your second paragraph as you’ll end up with no metadata. You can do it by converting on the Serve, or by following the process that Gary outlined. While you may find it tedious it’s important to take the time to understand it so you avoid coming a cropper later. Everything you need is explained in this thread.

Sorry Dave, I misunderstood your question.

HH is quite right, you should have your US convert all your WAV files to Flac before you hook up a separate NAS for back up. If you like WAV, you can set your US to transcode from Flac to WAV on the fly.

I converted all my music to Flac on my US and then plugged in a QNAP NAS (for back-up duties) to the same network as the US . I do remember I needed a bit of help to configure the QNAP and to copy over the Flac files but it didn’t take long. Now, whenever I rip a CD on the US, it automatically updates the QNAP with this new rip overnight, and of course the metadata is retained and copied over too.

There are others on here with more expertise who might be able to guide you through the process. I remember there used to be some guidance for setting up a NAS on the Naim website, so you could have a look there.

Hope this helps.

Or you can leave them as is and if/when the UServe packs in, you can use mp3tag or Song Kong to convert your Naim WAV’s backup to Flak on a pc…if I understood that correctly.

I’m convinced some people struggle to leave things as they are. After doing a bit of research I’ve decided to not convert my WAV files to Flac right now, I see no point. I’ll probably replace the US (eventually) with a Naim product anyway. If I did decide to buy a server from a 3rd party I’ll convert them before changing.

Of course if my US crashes I may regret this decision.

I had a Unitiserve then transferred all my WAV to a NAS and went happily on my way music wise, but was frustrated by the inability of the Naim app to find tracks/albums/artists. So there may be an issue around the metadata only working through the Unitiserve and not through the NAS. So to future proof things you might want to convert to FLAC (or back up as FLAC if the Unitiserve permits this).

I should stress that I don’t know that this is the issue I have, but the above posts suggest that it is. Does anyone know for sure? And if it is the issue whether I could get another Unitiserve, put all my WAV files into the Downloads folder of the Unitiserve and convert them to FLAC from there (with all the relevant hidden metadata) - or does this only work for the main Unitiserve CD ripped directory?

You may be able to find a s/h N100 for around 60% of the RRP, or a Uniti Core.

Not all Melco or Naim dealers are prepared to use eBay so it pays to spend a bit of time getting a national dealer list together, or use your favourite search engine e.g. ‘xxx for sale’…

There seems to have been a huge amount of confusion about this recently. It’s really simple…
To set your Unitiserve to rip to FLAC in the first place:
Go to Maintenance > Encoder Settings > Ripped CD Encoding and choose FLAC

If you haven’t done this and want to convert an existing WAV library to FLAC, go to Library > Albums and ctrl/click on Albums, then select Encode to FLAC. The US will then chug away in the background doing the conversions. If in doubt, do this on an individual album or two first to make sure you’re happy with it before converting your whole library:

If you have a proper backup, that too will be converted to FLAC. Then, if your US stops working (or you sell it) you can load Minimserver or Asset on the backup NAS and immediately continue listening to your music. (In WAV or FLAC, whatever you prefer.)

On the subject of sound quality, if you have a 1st generation Naim streamer and have read too much stuff on this forum, you will likely be the victim of autosuggestion and will therefore need to listen only to pure unadulterated WAVs. Fear not, the Unitiserve lets you have your cake and eat it. You can store as FLAC, with its reduced file size and better metadata handling, and still listen to WAV, by using the following setting to get the US to convert FLAC to WAV on playback:
Go to Maintenance > UPnP Settings > Miscellaneous Settings > Transcoding and select Decode:

Your streamer will then get WAV. It has no way of knowing that the US has transcoded it just seconds before playback rather that doing it permanently 10 years ago. WAV is WAV.

(The screenshots are from N-Serve for Mac, if you use a PC there will be comparable setting in the DTC.)

5 Likes

The US backup will be in whatever format you have chosen for its Music folder, so if you want a FLAC backup, use FLAC for your CD rips.

You can’t use the US to change stuff in the Downloads folder, so this won’t work. Just store your main Music folder in FLAC and this all becomes a non-issue.

It is not a question of struggling to leave things as they are, rather preparing for the inevitable day when the US konks out and you have to try and retrieve the Naim version of WAV files from your back up, where metadata is difficult to retrieve/tag.

Yes, there may now be a workaround using mp3tag or Song Kong, but isn’t it better to take the initiative now and futureproof yourself for when that fateful day arrives and you have to bury your beloved US?

Think I’ll probably replace the US later this year and to keep things simple I’d probably replace it with the Core (if only it looked more classic). So the WAV files should be an issue as they’re all Naim and packed the same way.

I’ve always believed that the bigger the file the better the SQ. If I reduce them to Flac playing them as WAV won’t retrieve lost data.

All of this is way to confusing for my poor artists brain to process.

That’s fine but you will be forever locked into a Naim server (unless you are prepared to do the Song Kong fix), and I have to say, servers are not Naim’s forte.

Now I am getting confused I thought the Core rips CD, the main difference between the US and Core was you can’t use the Core to play a CD.

It rips bit prefect according to the website

Yep, just checked myself, the Core does indeed rip. Sorry for the misinformation.

I have deleted one of my posts and amended another so as not to cause any confusion.

1 Like

Now my response seems odd.

1 Like

Which is why I told you what I have done. You can delete/amend your posts accordingly if you wish. I just don’t want to put incorrect information on the forum.