Ubiquite AmpliFi HD

If you are going to use Mesh then it only makes sense if you have several node access point,devices distributed around with Ethernet access every so often. If your connecting your WLAN access points together via Ethernet and you only have two, you might as well use the AP-AC lite devices which are optimised to work in such a configuration as a single or multiple ESSIDs
This also allows you to use a more powerful router and is quite independent of your wifi… which is usually considered beneficial.

Not everyone needs a system that requires switches or power injectors. I just have an openreach modem and 2 Amplifi routers and it provides a rock solid performance via ethernet and wifi in quite a large bungalow and it only cost me £320. I stream via Roon using Tidal and my own NAS and again I have never had a problem. I also use various TV streaming services via wifi and again I have never had a problem even with 4K content. The only time the Router has needed a reboot is when it has performed a firmware upgrade. I did exactly what poulisgr is considering and have not looked back since.

No I agree… I used to use the provided powersupply with my AP-AC lites… but I dispensed with those when I positioned them correctly for optimum Wifi coverage… (I am involved with this stuff professionally)… sure you can plugs things together in many ways and that is your choice, but it also worth pointing out the optimum products/tools for a particular task for those that aren’t perhaps as familiar with them as yourself.

I read many posts on these forums where people have plugged network devices like Lego without really appreciating what they are doing… sure it may work of a fashion, but possibly not as optimally as it should, and then frustrations can creep in when mystery dropouts or, items not being able to discovered creep in at a later date.

BTW the AP-AC lite APs are about £70 each… so perhaps rather cheaper to use.

Indeed, including the necessary power injectors (which work like a wall wart but mean you only need the Ethernet wiring up the wall or wherever).

I will add that the in-house automatic roaming from AP to AP is really quite good: I used to run old routers as wifi access points for good coverage like Mark, but this is much better for performance and convenience as you move from room to room. Not necessary, of course, but a nice upgrade to check out.

alan

Indeed, roaming works when portable - but also allows for steering and load balancing that is more relevant for semi permanent wifi setups with changeable load environments

Hi Mark, yes, this is indeed an option which I have considered - somehow redundant as it may be

There is some good tutorials and information on youtube by a guy called crosstalk solutions.

It seems the best bang for buck could be the pros, I will probably get a couple soon as eventually I want to get a ubiquiti switch.

Never been that impressed with the Unifi Ap’s, new and old.

Moved to a couple of Cisco Waps and never had an issue.

I think for the home gamer, the price of Cisco WAP really does not add up.

They aren’t a lot more than a unifi AC Pro.

£156 for a WAP 571 vs £125 for the AC Pro

FAir enough the only ones I could find were 200+

I think it fair to say for home gamers Cisco might be a bit ‘enterprise’, I suspect you are in the game somewhat.

I remember having a cisco router for like a day as it needed a licence to operate? I guess they have stopped that nonsense, but certainly fair to say cisco is not really aimed at home users.

The same could be said for unifi, but its certainly more approachable.

Yes, there are some Cisco Enterprise AP’s that are very expensive that ideally need a controller to function at their best but for the ‘serious’ home user, the WAP range are very good and are near enough, just as easy to configure as the Unifi via the GUI.

Indeed, Cisco are changing their licence models… so licensing most likely will become subscription based on their newer products… not a problem for businesses, but probably not ideal for home users.
Certainly I would check the licensing arrangement on any new Cisco product I bought for home use
But from a functionality point of view with the Unifi products there are several similarities, and might even indeed use the same hardware underneath the covers.
Anyway the key thing is the setup and implementation of the wlan and ESSID… what hardware you use fir such such a relatively simple setup is I feel less crucial.
Agree about the controllers, both Unifi and Cisco work best with a controller… my Unifi controller is great for managing, pushing configs,and collating stats…

Hi I am new to this thread … and need some advice I recently installed a full ubiquiti AP system consisting of 1 x AP lite, 1 x AP Pro and a cloud key. Which connects beautifully to my Naim setup. As I am wanting to install a ip camera security system … I went ahead and rashly bought a Cisco 3750G 24 port switch… my idea was to improve sound quality and provide poe to my existing Ubiquiti gear + future gear… I understand from this thread the Lite is good for 803.af … but I am unsure of the Pro … would this need a voltage adaptor??? and what about the cloud key??? Can any one advise here from practical experience

Hi

I bought 2 AP Pros and a Lite over a year ago and all were to the normal standard and did not need converters.

I also expanded system and got cloud key, USG and 24 port switch. I got unpowered switch as I did not need all PoE then added 8 port switch with the 4 PoE to run cloud key and APs. One thing to note all these devices run pretty hot so ventilation should be considered.

As a further question to all, any thoughts/experience on sound quality of Ubiquiti switch compared to Cisco 2960?
I have bought a ‘new’ one for £50 but have not yet tried it.
Cheers
CK

Surely you would have considered the ubiquiti switches as you have started down that route?

I am struggling to see any real point to the cloud key? (I ask as I recently installed 2 Pros, very good wifi and running the server as a service in a windows virtual)

Having a cloud key, I would agree with @garyi that it is a bit pointless for home installation.

CK

I wasn’t really saying its pointless I genuinely dont understand what its for, I only say this because once set up the wifi seems to work just fine even if the server is not running? I read that it allows access from off site, but again this does not appear to be an issue assuming the server is running ok at home.

Its not very expensive so thats cool, but with that super cool geeky interface I am surprised that the unifi switch was not purchased, it certainly my next geek gift.

Hi, the latest Uniquiti Pro APs I understand support 802.3af… so no PoE adapters needed, but do check…
I use the Cloud Key… works well, and the latest software provides some very good reporting and diagnostic as well as security information… and allows you manage and provision equipment without being connected to the internet and running a controller on a seperate Mac or pc. I use and manage three Ubiquiti devices.

Does it make sense for you? Hard to say… for me having full control without access to the internet was important and running a reliable controller for reporting without needing a PC or Mac running 247 was also important.

BTW using Cloudkey, you can still use the Ubiquiti dashboard, and connect to your Cloud Key anywhere in the world using single sign in without having to have a fixed IP address… very useful for checking up on things or even providing ‘support’ when away on business.

BTW the controller simply connects and is powered by an 802.3af switch… it’s what I do here… so very low powered. I think there is also a USB power option if you can’t use PoE.

I had a similar situation as well and chose the Eero Pro mesh wifi (2nd gen)(Amazon just bought them). They have been fantastic, solved all my wireless issues. Replaced my AppleExtreme/Airport. Nice thing is I can still use them for wireless printing in bridged mode!