Ubiquite AmpliFi HD

I’m surprised Simon you would not have set up the controller on a raspberry pi, it seems to offer everything a cloud key does for 30 quid. Another 20 could be used to set up a DDNS account if needed.

I am sure I could but the cloud controller is smaller, neater and on its small PoE powerlead really convenient with no extra powerleads or PSUs etc. Sometimes having a semi locked down machine has its advantages… os, firmware as well software upgrades can all be managed by the portal, and yes with it no DDNS amount is needed.

Slightly digressing, living where I leave, powercuts are not uncommon, and I find the Pi’s can eat memory cards in such circumstances… no such issue with the Cloud controller… so it works for me… but yes there other options … great set of choices.

Speaking of choices, I’m having good success running the Ubiquiti controller in a container in a Synology DS918+ NAS; look for the jacobalberti package, which seems to be the most popular one. This option is zero incremental cost and avoids need for yet-another-always-on-PC…

As others have noted, you don’t need the controller running all the time if you’re not interested in logging activity; it just needs to be on for setup or changes. Existing wifi access points, switches, routers will all keep doing their thing just fine even when the controller is shut down.

Regards alan

Someone has told me that the Controller is required with multiple access points (APs) to support correct roaming between the APs? But I could not find such information in the web from ubiquiti.

No I don’t think that is correct… the controller provisions the APs and collates logging but thereafter I believe APs simply communicate with each other.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.