ULEZ/congestion charging - changing cars, or maybe not!

Most of them are fake.
I’ve seen some being dropped off from posh cars to collect. :roll_eyes:

No clean air tax up here in Glasgow and soon to be Edinburgh Dundee and Aberdeen.
Penalty charge no choice to pay carbon tax.
All monitored by ANPR cameras.

1 Like

There are professional beggars all over the country but the real homeless are easy to spot - hands and clothing give the game away.

2 Likes

Sounds like you need a hybrid. You can run as purely electric in the ULEZ, escape the charge and not pollute. For longer runs use the full hybrid.

Charges are based on the taxation class revealed by the ANPR system. If your car is compliant or exempt then no charges will be levied regardless of the operating state of a hybrid vehicle.

It’s frustrating that as a foreigner driving in London you still get taxed even if your car is exempt. They scan the license plate, and as they have no record just send a fine instead of doing a further (manual?) check.

By the time you receive it (going through lease company etc.), the fine has gone up and your looking at a hefty charge. Window of appeal had also passed in our case.

We challenged the lease company in our case, saying they shouldn’t have paid it (they had and were forwarding the cost), after which we haven’t heard back. So I guess they absorbed the cost, but others might not be so lucky.

1 Like

I think that only applies if the ICE part of the hybrid vehicle conforms to the relevant ULEZ standard as the ANPRs will presumably be unable to tell which mode the vehicle is running in.

1 Like

These were handy to find:

Euro 7 has been proposed according to that, as you say will it simply be abandoned?

AA on current/older standards:

When mine runs in full electric mode it has a blue light at the front. Although I’ve no idea if the cameras pick this up

Really? Only white or amber is allowed at the front of a vehicle.

1 Like

It’s at the top of the windscreen rather than by the main lights.

ANPR only read number plates nothing else it’s down to registration of the vehicle details.
Automatic, Number, Plate,Recognition… :wink: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

No blue lights on a non emergency vehicle.

• Blue lights
    Only emergency vehicles can display blue lights, it is an offence if your vehicle has any blue LED or neon under-vehicle lighting system or lights on windscreen, washer jets or number plates emitting a blue light. The motorist could receive a £50 Fixed Penalty Notice and or be reported to court.

Interesting. I’m assuming Peugeot were aware of the law when they made the car.

The law is the law.
Only saying thought I was being helpful to save someone a ticket.

It is helpful. And that bit you quoted is clear. Just not sure there is anything I could do about it. It’s not as if I’ve modified the car to put a light on the roof.

You’d think the light would be green - maybe that’s reserved for the secret Naim EV :wink:

1 Like

A secret electric Bentley

I can’t see anything at all on the web about this blue light. Does the handbook say what it’s purpose is?

I think the current position is softer than was expected but is likely to include particulates from brakes and tyres too so would impact EVs. I’m not sure whether these are yet binding.

I see that the EU is continuing with ICE vehicles until 2035 and is being lobbied to consider synthetic fuels rather than just insisting on EVs.

1 Like