Underrated albums you want to share with others

Terrific album choice @Andyblain
Haven’t played this for a while years, but hunting it out now.
Nice one.

1 Like

Was about to mention Fiction by the Comsat Angels.

2 Likes

‘Forever Changes’ is one of my favourite albums ever. A lot of the instrumentation is as light as a feather, but the album has its dark side too.

A point of trivia for you: Love’s Arthur Lee was a big chum of Jimi Hendrix. There used to be a bootleg album of them playing together - I never got to hear it, but it was not great stuff, reputedly.

5 Likes

On my Facebook page recently there was a photo of Jimi Hendrix, with Cat Stevens , one of the Walker Brothers and er Englebert Humperdinck .

Mr Humperdinck commented that Mr Hendrix was a really nice person and one occasion played guitar for him . Now that would have been a recording…

I think all three of Love’s first albums were quite similar peaking at Forever Changes and then it went all Hard Rock , and I can believe that “it was not great stuff”

3 Likes

His voice sound like Bob Dylan

I saw Love at Barbarellas in Birmingham sometime in the early to mid 70s. I can confirm they were not good, all hard rock. Very disappointing. Saw Arthur Lee with John Echells and "Love " in 2005 Much better. IIRC the band members were Baby Lemonade. They did all the songs we hoped for and more. John Echells was a showman , playing guitar behind his head , with his teeth etc, all Hendrix style.

1 Like

Firstly, the eponymous first album from:

Secondly, this from Toyah which was so much more than the ‘pop’ singles:

6 Likes

Agree about that Toya album. I think she could have been so much more.

1 Like

It was the first Toyah album I bought, I’ve since come to enjoy earlier albums which have a combination of good and challenging tracks which very very experimental.

I also enjoyed several later albums but Anthem and The Changeling were probably the band’s peak output.

I absolutely love the Toyah Drury Lane New Year’s Eve convert in 1981 and have it on betamax! Once digitised it, I saw the other day it’s being released quite soon as a CD/DVD which I’m sure I’ll buy.

Short excerpt here:

Jungles of Jupiter at 8’35’’ or so is great. Followed by Danced.

May all seem cheesy today, but as a teen with a 4 pack of Kestrel lager and the house to myself that night it was indulgent fun!

1 Like

Sadly, most of my American friends have never heard of them. Forever Changes is often in best album lists in the UK, but not here.

1 Like

Antonio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina - Elis & Tom (1974)

Everything about this album is sublime: Tom Jobim’s extraordinary songs, the crack Brazilian and LA musicians, and Elis Regina singing like she never had before or since.

You can hear even Elis’s heart breaking as she sings the gorgeous Modinha, which always brings a lump to my throat.

The CD booklet comes with the original Brazilian-Portuguese lyrics, and English translations. The album is also available on a streaming service near you.

3 Likes

Amazing , certainly one of my top ten

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with you.
One of my desert island discs.

1 Like

Anyone remember this? ‘A. F. T.’ - ‘Automatic Fine Tuning’ (1976). On the Charisma label, this is largely instrumental prog. Only four tracks. The band also recorded a John Peel Session in 1976 which was great. I had a cassette recording of this session in the 1970s but it is long gone sadly. Never heard it since. It included an extra track ‘Racehorses’ which is not on the album. Many Peel Sessions have had a commercial release in more recent years but not this. Another one unreleased is the 1977 session by ‘The Movies’ and the 1975 and 1977 sessions by Andy Fairweather-Low.

1 Like

Gary Boyle - ‘The Dancer’ (1977). I’ve mentioned this record before. It is classy instrumental jazz-rock and sounds great on the original vinyl on the Gull label. Much underrated I feel.

1 Like

Eels_-_Wonderful,_Glorious

Not seen many people mention Eels on here but I really like them. The above doesn’t have a bad one on it.

10 Likes

Big fan, they have become one though. Eels is basically just Mark Oliver Everett (E).

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much. His autobiography is probably the best music one I’ve read.
I find Blinking Lights a tough listen and Earth To Dora was a disappointment but other than that his stuff is pretty much spot on for me.

Eh…Four Sail (a completely different band apart from Arthur) was superb!

1 Like

Shootenanny is my favourite. Blinking Lights is probably too long but there’s some excellent tracks.