Unhappy with the new NAIM update

Probably not a bad idea

1 Like

Beta testing is about functionality rather than SQ specifically, but if SQ issues come up then obviously they will be discussed. In the case of this release there was a lot of positivity around a build and it was expressed that it would be good if this SQ could make it to release. But the interaction between functionality and SQ seems complex. Certainly I’m finding this update sounds really good, but I’m not using a mega super sensitive system. I do think it would be good if some of those with top ranging 500 setups, who seem to be experiencing the most issues, would step up and participate. As I understand it, they should contact beta@naimaudio.com

2 Likes

I know. It’s hard to believe.

1 Like

There is confidentiality in beta testing and I’m not going to disagree with anything my colleagues have written. It’s important to remember that we are simply unpaid helpers. We may have opinions but ultimately it’s Naim who make the decisions. As it should be of course.

2 Likes

Would love to join the beta testing group!

1 Like

But they’ve already disagreed with what you said.

I would expect confidentiality, that’s fine, but not being truthful is not fine. That’s nothing to do with confidentiality.

And, I don’t suspect you are being untruthful.

So sent an email.

Nobody is being untruthful. It’s all subjective and people see things in different ways. Please don’t create an issue when there isn’t one. Everyone is doing their best, for the greater good.

I have sent an email offering my time. Could be interesting!

Sound quality is subjective, but whether sound quality is discussed isn’t subjective. It either is or it isn’t.

The denials concerning discussing sound quality was a result of me joking about the age of Beta testers, some of them are old, how good is their hearing? I know your hearing isn’t perfect.

The problem with this is; are we discussing sound quality or our ability to hear sound frequencies? I think this is where it all becomes pretty relative and a little blurred. A 20 year old person listening to a live band and recorded music will surely hear a much greater frequency range but as long as the recorded music is reproduced well he will think it sounds like live music. By comparison, a seventy year old person will still feel the well recorded music sounds like the live band even though may now hear only a limited range of frequencies.

I’m now pretty ancient myself but I can still tell, very quickly, if I’m listening to live music or a very good recording despite my hearing suffering the ravages of time. In fact I have a friend who’s hearing is really poor and requires two deaf aids but he still enjoys live music, listening to his small Naim system and instantly appreciating my system when he comes round, so I think the range of sound frequencies you can hear is less important than the quality of sound you can hear.

2 Likes

Do you (still?) have a system with an ND5XS2 in it?

Yes! Nd5xs2/ndac/xps/nait50/n-sat

Not so, a,though we are not permitted to share beta discussions outside of the beta groups, sound performance/preference is mentioned… and different beta sub releases are typically commented on.

Naim would need to comment on whether the speed of release to address the web radio situation meant the fine fettling of the software execution timing was minimised / by passed this time.

2 Likes

Thank you Simon.

I did suspect @HungryHalibut version of reality was correct.

I’ve been in that group since it began a few years back with an aim to both test features and be aware of any SQ issues - although as others have said that latter aspect is not what is being specifically tested.

We are told not to discuss things ongoing in that group - and also that you may get Firmware versions that have problems - it is a Beta-testing after all - and to be aware of not expecting better and possibly at times worse in ongoing release and testing.

The iterative versions do sound (to me) different and some are very good and some poor and most somewhere in the middle SQ. We are told the final tuning for SQ is done after all testing has been completed for the features desired for the next public release.

I’ve made occasional comments there if SQ was particularly good or poor alongside any testing.

With all that said - talk to Naim and as long as you are prepared for things not to be always perfect then I’m sure you can join.

DB.

3 Likes

Unlike the NDS, which improved sound by switching off inputs, Naim told me the ND555 was designed to have all the inputs enabled. Disabling inputs degrades the sound in their opinion.

1 Like

ND555
I’ve experimented with the settings over some time and find some ‘on’ and some ‘off’ works best for me.
All inputs ‘on’ I dislike and all set ‘off’ seems to give a bland unengauging presentation.

I’d posted a few time previously my preferences as I then found them. Some changes I’ve found over some days improved presentation - meaning I enjoy it more and will let the tracks play rather than want to tinker with the settings more.

I had found Server Mode ‘off’ for a while seemed better but I’ve now reveresed myself on that and ‘on’ is more interesting to listen too.
Also ‘on’ is USB Input and Spotify - none of which I use, but subjectively to me make the vocals better.

DB.

1 Like

I tested on my NDS with all on vs off and I very much preferred all not used being off.

Interesting, I’ll test with the inputs as well. See if it makes a difference for the ND5 XS 2 as well.

1 Like