Unhappy with the new NAIM update

(Thinking the title of this thread no longer suits . . .)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply Steve.
Should I pm them to you?
Much appreciated.

Many thanks

1 Like

Hi @StickVic either pm or post them in the sticky internet radio feedback thread.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Slighly off topic. After the recent update I lost the ability to control Tidal. No playback, no control. All of the content is shown there but no control over it. Tried full power circle, unistalling app, factory reset and nithibg works.

On my system, the Google Assistant stopped working after the update - true for each of my ND5 XS2, Nova, and Muso 2. After updating, if I ask any of them to “Play WFUV” or “Play Abbey Road” the Assistant responds that it cannot find any music player on my network. This is of course nonsense. Not only do I have the three Naim streamers, I have Google Nest products and ChromeCast Audio pucks all of which continue to respond properly to my commands to play music.

One further note - I can still GoogleCast to the Naim units (e.g. from Qobuz on my phone). The problem is limited to vocal commands.

@Stevesky - can you replicate this problem or is it specific to my set-up?

EDIT - The Google Assistant also responds erroneously when I use the touch screen on my Nest Hub to try to control my Naim streamers.

Hi
There. Ist be something not running smooth technically with the new fw.
Sometimes (quite often) all of a sudden iPad (and remote!) Carmen unresponsive.
Simple solution start song new - all gone. Never had this before. New fw and latest app!
@Stevesky
Should I write an email to naim?

Update: I checked the diagnostics as it happened and underruns got red with 2 going up to 3 but still red. With next album underrun = 0

Hi @drago

Think best bet is raise a support ticket with the support team and they can break down on what is going on.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Thanks - consider it done :blush:
Please let me add - is the underrun going up when paused unusual? Despite from the app being unresponsive

How about giving us access to the likes of Cerys Mathews, Jamie Cullum and 'Round Midnight as available on BBC Sounds? Kevin Griffin, Aschaffenburg, Germany

Is it just me or did the sound degrade after the update. My bass is floppy, definitely not as tight as before. Last night I updated the system and right after I noticed the degradation of the sound quality.

2 Likes

I think the reality is that any firmware updates with a significant effect on sound quality affect different system configurations in different ways.

I was actually delighted with the sonic improvements on my Nova, whereas years ago firmware updates made the sound far worse for me personally.

Also, give it some time - my initial reactions were very favourable but over the last 48 hours or so the character seems to be changing again.

1 Like

Same here - see other thread (happy with … posts not in the correct thread).
I tried to adapt 2 full days but till now failed - liked the sound before more! Nd555 here.
Bass is not floppy but too heavy in my system.

Unhappy that this change in SQ comes without any notice.

2 Likes

I am also unhappy with the upgrade (which I was really looking forward to it to due to Tidal max upgrade). My full 300 nc system was fully in balance but now the bass has disappeared and the sound is too bright…

4 Likes

Fully in balance here as well before the update. Spent tens of thousands to get it balanced again (in fact went full 500 to get balance). At last I tweaked via Ethernet.
All was wonderful and with new update … bass too much in my room and the rest too sharp.
Seems to happen for NC as well as classic - same streaming platform

I even do not need tidal or radio … oh dear… what have I done

And if it’s not enough… the app plus remote gets unresponsive quite often …

1 Like

I experience exactly what you describe.
Bass heavy, sharp and tiring to listen to.

Is there a way to revert back?

1 Like

As far as I know not supposed to be done

That’s just ridiculous, it’s not a €1000 iPhone here that we are talking about but a €9500 streamer. There should be a cool down period like with Apple devices so people can revert back in case of this sort of situations.

1 Like

In my case a 30k streamer… which sound and signature I demoed!
There are a lot of improvements in sq, but it does not work with the balance I have calibrated with so much sweat

2 Likes

My system was also (finally) in balance and now it all went to :poop:

Exactly. People have been fine tuning our systems based on a certain base level. This is really unacceptable as people have spent thousands of euros and hours of work on finetuning based on a sound that now has completely changed.

2 Likes