Unhappy with the new NAIM update

Same here. Spent a lot of time and money on finding the right streaming components.
What a disappointment! I think I listen more vinyl on my Solstice now…

1 Like

I am curios on which software I was before.
Was it 3.8.0 or 3.8.1 - think the latter as I have done 1 update and bought my nd555 in may 2023 (build 2022).

That could not be the solution… :blush: or can it - love vinyl as well

1 Like

It would be good to know what Naim has done to change the sound signature and why. On balance, I’m liking it, but I haven’t spent any cash tuning my system. That said, the speaker demos I have had may need to be revisited.

P.S. I note with some DACs you can select different filter settings. Maybe Naim could provide such options, to include the previous signature.

4 Likes

Not exactly unhappy, but back in the days, I was listening to Tidal in 16/44 and I thought: God, one day when Naim releases update, we’ll be in Hires heaven. Now, when we have Hires on Tidal, I’m finding hard to find Hires music on it. Some bands’ catalogues are still available only in High quality, or only the latest releases are in Hires.
The biggest surprise is that some really big names are entirely/mostly unavailable in Hires on Tidal.
The names like: The Police, Dire Straits, Depeche Mode, The Rolling Stones etc

1 Like

I think this is the issue - it affects different users in different ways and may well be dependent on other system components.

A few years ago my understanding was that any changes to general firmware code could potentially alter timings of certain processes leading to unpredictable sound quality changes. On top of this there was the possibility to tweak audio processing to alter the sonic signature. Maybe the first consideration is bull, but if so it ought to be possible to separate firmware updates with bug fixes/enhancements from audio processing tweaks - ideally it would then be nice to be offered historical audio processing tweaks with any current version. If not then the two processes somehow need to be decoupled in future hardware.

3 Likes

Not happy either. Seem to be numerous problems quite apart from the damn presets. I have 6 units to change. Why can’t the presets be shared. More importantly the HDMI output from the tele is dead as is optical on two TVs. Worse when I turned the Nova on I probably blew the speakers. It seems to have changed the volume and introduce a loud interference.
But I think, assuming I manage to spend hours and sort all this, is the fact you bring the update out when Apple introduces IOS18. I don’t know who to blame for what.
Really Naim, after 20 years as a fan, I can’t believe you have introduced this update like this :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The downside of Naim amplifiers is that you cannot tune the bass an trebble, it is what it is.
With this new firmware I should wish I could turn the bass 1 or 2 levels up and the trebble 1 or 2 levels down.

2 Likes

One thing people should do is power down and reboot if the sound is off.

3 Likes

Given the issues being reported, there’s absolutely no way I am going to download the latest firmware for my Atom.

I am quite happy with the way my unit is running streaming Tidal and internet radio, thank you very much.

Has anyone been having issues with Qobuz since the update? Whenever I stream from Qobuz I get random dropouts for around 10-20 seconds, pretty much like it’s buffering. There’s nothing wrong with my internet and if I switch to USB HDD or internet radio it works just fine, so the issue seems to be exclusive to Qobuz for now. I never once had this problem before the latest update, but since updating I’ve had it daily to the point where I’m just not using Qobuz at the moment.

3 Likes

I had something similar happen to me. I restarted my ND5xs2 and it seemed to have fixed the problem. At the same time I did restart my DHCP Server(my network). Not sure which one fixed the issue.

I have problems with a freezing app (now totally freezes).
All restarted, rebooted and set back to default. No success till now.
Will keep an eye on it.

1 Like

Saturday afternoon football results on the tv in the 70’s voice.

G

13 Likes

You might add a thread „happy without update“ :blush::wink:

1 Like

You know how to solve this and make money at the same time. You know it makes sense. :wink::grin:

Bravo GraemeH

1 Like

Absolutely remarkable, eeeerrrrrrrrrrr…

5 Likes

This is only relevant when the post count exeeds all the unhappy with naim is not doing anythinbg to XX and YY feature in the 3.0 firmware.

Qobuz has been fine for me on a Nova the last several days since updating.

Might be an intermittent Qobuz issue too.

I’ve had Airplay glitches but that may well be an AppleTV beta update.

1 Like