Unhappy with the new NAIM update

you must be kidding - can’t wait to turn it on…

Seriously, the difference is night and day :smile:
I hope it works for you as well!

2 Likes

immedeately?

Yes, I was a bit surprised myself but it’s really sounding good tonight. Just played my son a couple of tracks as his reply was just WOW!

3 Likes

You never question your own mindset and placebo at all?

2 Likes

I don’t even know what mine is set to, but are away anyway.

Anyone changed back to ‘Default’ to test if the sound reverts back to the ‘unhappy’ observations. Perhaps it’s flicking the switch that ‘knocks the sound back on balance’?

G

5 Likes

Nope. Not for a minute. I know within a few bars of the music starting when the system is sound good and when it isn’t.

1 Like

As mentioned, I’ve often just set this by ear. I have noticed that sometimes you can hear a really marked difference and sometimes you can’t tell any difference at all. Not sure why that is?

Not entirely correct :slight_smile: you initially wowed the new FW. But I know what you mean. When you know your system it did not talke long… will start again in 10 min. or 40 min. Than its off for 1h or 1,5h

Alright… Using the inputs on/off and ground switch as a major EQ going from totally off to being in audio heaven is…new to me.

3 Likes

I did on the first day of the update, then it all went to pot!

Yes the effect was immediately noticeable

This is weird and I know this hobby is so I’m not really that bothered but it would be interesting if someone that just did the ground switch just switched back. It takes a few seconds to do. If the sound goes off, then that might show something. If the sound stays good that might show something different. Who knows what?

@Daan-1975 you want to give it a go? @geko perhaps?

The weird thing is you tend to follow Naima advice and argue it’s what Naim says hence it’s right and sounds right. Now all of sudden it’s ground switch to floating even though the ground switch in a system with one source should be set to non-floating for Naims grounding arrangement to work properly. My head spins!

6 Likes

The input changes made a small but noticeable difference. The ground switch made a much more fundamental difference for some reason.

I have noticed this effect a few times when connecting/disconnecting the the earth cable from my LP12. There have been several instances where this has suddenly changed the LP12’s performance for the better, in a somewhat similar manner to the ND. Again, no idea why?

3 Likes

You are right of course but it’s easier when you have just one device connected to your ND. When you connect other devices to the 552 it gets a lot more complex knowing what internal earthing arrangement have been made.

3 Likes

@Geko is your lp12 connected via earth cable?
My TT is currently switched off (supercap is switched off - the one powering the prefix).
No earth in the system?

1 Like

On floating it is better but too early to tell if it’s back as it was before
More together again - less air but more musical. So far so good.

The switch did a big difference… not ready to switch back.
Everything is laid back a bit more - in a good way. The „playing louder“ effect has disappeared … I hope.
Less detailed but more music…?

3 Likes

My LP12 earth is connected to my Superline. This is then connected to the 552. The Superline is powered all the time. Only other connection to the the 552 is my Sky Q box but that’s via optical.

I’d switch your Supercap back on and connect the turntable earth.

@Geko & @drago Naim advised me to do a hard factory reset on my 222. Have you tried it on your nd555’s?

It’s a little early for me to be sure but I’ve been listening for the last 15 mins and so far so good. I don’t want to get too excited just yet :grimacing:

1 Like