UnitCore or not to Uniticore

@frenchrooster this has put the cat amongst the Pigeons. I like the solution. This is a Naim forum so I guess asking a bunch of stuff on here about the mini is probably not right. But it does connect to the MuSo’s. I am guessing based upon the info in other parts of the community this unit is loved. It looks simple enough and the Naim app UI seems to do a good job. Connected directly to the MuSo? I like the idea of adding a Power Supply later again seems to be subjective and listening is better. thanks for the tip

@frenchrooster another question, if I am not ripping CD’s or streaming any radio service, does the Unit need to be connected to the Router. ie all the ripped CD’s of which there will be around 600 i suspect will be local on the unit. Can i just plug it into a MuSo and leave it unattached until i need to rip ??

The Zen Mini would be my choice if you want an off-the-shelf solution. It’s hugely more versatile and full featured than the Core and it’s half the price.
I understand that you see the appeal of a visually matching Naim branded box, but to my mind it’s an awful lot of money to spend to feed your Musos, and the way all these UPnP servers work is that they just need a wired network connection to your router, so even the ugliest commercial grade NAS can be hidden out of site in a cupboard.

1 Like

In practice, yes, you need a network connection so that the control app can see and control the device. Also when ripping CDs you need an internet connection for metadata retrieval.

It has just to be plugged into the router, or a switch. You can use the Naim app and the app will see the Innuos and all the music inside.
A lot here use Innuos products, from Zen mini to Statement.
You can tap Innuos zen mini in the search part of the forum and you will find a lot of threads on it.
It will work exactly as the Uniticore in your system.

1 Like

I do not want to digress but all servers have problems with classical music (and it is not their fault).
See my earlier topic Changing metadata to improve Classical Music presentation - Streaming Audio - Naim Audio - Community

The relevant point at this early stage is getting something with flexibility like AssetUPnP and dBpoweramp (or MP3TAG which some users like) so you have the ability to manipulate the metadata. Flexibility is key.

I did not understand this when I started out - but I got lucky with my choice of the above.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_C I probably dont listen to enough classical music for this to be a problem But i will bare it in mind.

If you don’t mind me asking, what NAS do you use HH?

It’s a Qnap TS253A.

I have a Unitiserv - not as good as the Core - but rips CDs fine , controllable from an app , less than half the price and comes with disks.
There are many for sale on auction sites.
I actually use it connected into my 272 - but works absolutely fine over the network.
No compelling reason for me to upgrade to a Core.

2 Likes

A Uniti Core was the first Naim item I purchased. I was so impressed I went to SN3, NDX 2, and HiCap.
I do not find the sketchy Metadata to be much of an issue anymore.
I have the CD’s so the booklets are always aailable, and if there is anything that I really want the data for I scan the booklet as a PDF and store it on my iPad (or in iCloud)

2 Likes

I enjoyed the Unitserve too. But I find it a bit risky to buy a second hand one today. The firmware is old now, not followed by Naim, and it may be out of order any time soon.

I wouldn’t swap my Unitiserve for a Core, it has too many limitations. If the US dies, I’ll be looking elsewhere, although its showing no signs of giving up the ghost so far.

As well as getting first hand experience/comments from the Forum, you should also read the independent reviews on the Core.

The point to keep in mind is that here you will get quite diverse and often emotionally led comments that ring true for one person, but invariably not another. And can quite literally get you in a right muddle. At least with the press there’s no emotional bias or personal preferences leading opinions to factor in…at least not to the extent found on the Forum.

Good luck.

1 Like

Many thanks HH

Another US fan here.
@Chris, do you switch your US off or do you keep it on all the time?

I might be too late but I have gone the following route:

Qnap
Unitiserve
Core
Melco

I hated the qnap - I am not very comfortable with IT and having to rip into my laptop and then drag and drop onto the qnap was a huge pain and I never got round to adding all my cds.

The unitiserve was a huge improvement and the core was easily as good if not better. Really like the way you can amend the art and metadate from the Naim app for the core’s content

The Melco does sound better than the core but probably not enough to justify the extra money (with hindsight) - and clunkier to use than the Core which is very user friendly indeed

But that is from my perspective of someone who hates mucking around with computers. I like things that just work. Never tried innuos though

4 Likes

I leave it on when I’m at home, except when there’s a chance of lightning (having learnt the hard way that Ethernet cables can carry a large current from a lightning strike!!)

I tend to leave the backup NAS off most of the time as I don’t rip that many CDs any more. The US automatic backup still runs, and performs backups as needed when it finds the NAS is on.

Evening gents …….

Perhaps not the best place to ask but here goes……

I have a Core - wonderful machine but I have a slight problem. I am currently ripping all my cd’s again - SQ better than previous pc rips - but I have 2 albums (so far) which have 2 discs and both have the same music! The 2nd disc on one of them is purely instrumental versions and the second has different vocals and singers. When I try to rip the 2nd disc it merely overwrites the first disc. And if you try re-ripping disc 1 the same occurs. I have tried to rename the disc/artist/titles and change album art and then rip again - and all it does is rip with the metadata it picks up and once finished it deletes the edited version!

Is there any workaround this?

I always thought that no 2 discs could be identical and that any change in the 1’s and 0’s would therefore be recognised as a different disc?

Thanks if anyone can help or has come across this b4…

Hmm I have had it on one pair of discs. Got it to work but cannot remember how (would have been 2-3 years ago) - maybe changed the name after ripping one but I see you have tried that