Uniti Atom & a subwoofer

Why do the cables need to be screened and how do i find out the impedance of the RCA cable? Not many manufactures do list this spec. A normal RCA cable is 75ohm as far as i remember.

There are actually three questions there (one is implied).

The low level cables need to be screened to avoid introducing high frequency interference components into the feedback loop of the preamp.

The 100Ω resistor is in the connector at the amp end of the cable, in series with the signal line.

The characteristic impedance of the cable is irrelevant (and RCA Phono plugs typically have a characteristic impedance of 32 to 45Ω anyway).

Oh thanks for the information, so much to consider!
Can you recommend a cable which meets those requirements?

What does the resistor do please?

As much as I love my Atom, I personally don’t like the plugs that Naim supply and think standard banana plugs are far more convenient. I love the depth and subtlety of the Rel, its very basic connection defies its quality, but it’s no different from most other subs in requiring a very simple connection - I spoke directly with Rel (and RS) about it beforehand as it seemed too simple - but there it is AND it sounds/feels amazing. If you prefer something more tangible try this website (where you can order all sorts of bespoke combinations including stackable speakon plugs

).

Apparently so long as the amp is “high level” connection directly through it via the speaker outputs is fine, presumably going via the speakers themselves (rather than the amp) can result in some (albeit very minor) delay? So the preferred option if possible.

The first significant delay occurs between the preamp and the speaker terminals of the poweramp, then an even greater delay between the input to the sub and the sound that’s output form it. The delay in the speaker cable is insignificant and is measured in pico seconds.

The big problem with high level connections is the back emf from the bass drivers of the main speakers: this distorted signal is presented to the input of the sub, then amplified and made audible by the sub.

1 Like

The Naim version of Rel’s Bassline Blue cable, or the much cheaper Designacable version you mention, are intended to ensure compatibility with all Naim power amps even when connecting directly to them rather than to the speaker input sockets. So that’s probably the best option for you if that cable routing is going to work in your room.
I agree that the Naim plugs supplied with the Atom are not ideal, at least in this configuration. You would need to stack them onto the sub cable plugs, and with the weight of stiff NACA5 hanging off them I don’t think that would be a good idea. They are a bitch to solder too!
If you want a neater solution, I would find some regular banana plugs with nice large solder buckets such as Deltrons. Then solder both speaker cable and sub cable to the same plug. Then you will have a better connection and no wobbly stacked plugs to worry about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.