Uniti Atom + CD Player vs Uniti Star

The Core is a “deluxe” Naim solution.
You can get similar functions from ripping+management software on both PCs or NAS or a combination thereof.

Fair point - I was basing that thought on an earlier response. Interesting to hear your real world experience. In theory the Star is a more powerful amp so should get more out of the speakers. I checked the spec of my Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers - they recommend an amp with 30-150W power. The Atom output is 40W per channel, whereas the Star output is 70W per channel.

Trying to get a demo may be a challenge though. As a fan of Naim products - I have a MuSo as well as an Atom - I could just take the plunge and go for it.

I also looked a bit closer at the Uniti Core, it seems very pricy for what is effectively a premium and easy to use CD ripper and storage device, that doesn’t actually include storage. So I think I’ll avoid going that route which leaves my probable options as either:

1. Keep the Atom, buy an Audiolabs 6000 CDT CD transport. I can still rip CDs on my laptop.
  2. Sell the Atom, buy a Star. If I can pick up a manufacturer refurb even better.
1 Like

As I am on a similar trajectory, I wonder if I can inject the lightest of thread hijacks and ask if anyone has any experience of half-width / compact CD transports that might be a closer match to the Atom aesthetically ? Thanks.

Mind you if the Star CD section need repair / service later on, you are without music.
Not so with Atom and separate CD.
Personally I’d never bother ripping my CDs, I’m happy with the physical thing, though admit they take up space.

No idea if your speakers would require more power ?
Maybe think about adding a dedicated Nap poweramp to Atom.

I admit I’m something of a fan of the Atom. I use mine with a NAD C568 as a transport and a Core for all the downloads and CDs for which I do not have shelf space. (I really like the Core as well, as it works so seamlessly with the Naim app, and can play directly to a DAC from its coax output. Either way sound quality is perfect.)

The reason I would not expect the Star to be a significant upgrade is that the speakers you have (which get a great reputation, and my dealer has them in stock… I’m tempted :slightly_smiling_face:) are an excellent match to the Atom at a sensitivity of 86dB, and do not demand (are capable of) great output in the sub 100 Hz region, which is where the Atom can find itself short on power (it delivers less power at the lower frequencies and that is where most power is actually required). You are probably running at about 1 Watt output most of the time, but everyone’s situation is different.

The speaker “power recommendation” spec is essentially meaningless. You could attach a 500W amp and do no damage if the speaker is only running at the usual SPL you listen to as you are still delivering about 1 Watt. If you decided to host an outdoor rock concert, maybe a different story! :flushed:

1 Like

I’ve been searching for something similar for ages. Nothing really stood out in the right price range although the Pro-ject CD players get good reviews. They are, however, extremely aesthetically challenged (IMO).

I found the step from the Atom to the Star much bigger than the one from the latter to the Nova. So on that basis I’d say go for the Star, it’s much better.

But, since I don’t use CD’s that much, I didn’t actually compare the CD functionality to anything else. So if that’s an important source, it might be worth doing that before deciding.

1 Like

If you intend to rip CDs, and are considering the considerable investment in a Star, you should read all the threads on this forum relating to the Star having a known fault which causes rips to have audio drop outs.

Buyer beware. naim have not yet addressed this issue.

I don’t really need a CD ripper as I can do that on my MacBook Pro. Although the “all in one” nature of the Star does have some appeal in terms of one place to rip, store and play CD content. I’ll check out the Star reviews and issues, thanks for highlighting that.

1 Like

+1 for an Audiolab CDT into your Atom. Interestingly they are preparing to launch two new CD transports - the 7000 CDT (replacing the 6000) and flagship 9000 CDT.

3 Likes

Indeed I saw the Audiolabs 7000 cdt when I went to find deals for the 6000 cdt. Available in March apparently. Looks to have a nicer display and a USB slot for digital playback. Neither of which are needed alongside an Atom that already has these features so I still think the 6000 cdt probably makes more sense.

Interesting input on the Atom + speaker combo, thanks. Couple of follow up questions:

1. As the Star has extra power (79wpc vs 40wpc) wouldn’t it help reveal more of the low frequency / bass capabilities of the Lumina speakers? I think I’d like that.

2. Is the Core worth it vs simply connecting a SSD external drive to the Atom? I’m struggling to see the value of that investment other than it being nicely integrated into the Naim system?

Thx

Plus, you might not always want to keep these speakers. The Star will give you more options to upgrade later, even if it will do less for you with your current speakers (which I’m personally not convinced of) as @cephas thinks.

The best option would of course be to audition. Isn’t that an option, to try the Star and Atom at home or at your dealer ?

A Core will cost you about as much as your Atom. To my mind that is wildly disproportionate use of funds, so I think you’ll get far more enjoyment from a Star or a Nova for similar overall expense. A USB drive connected directly to the streamer will sound as good for fifty quid. Ripping software such as DBpoweramp is far more versatile than the Naim ripper, so if you are happy to use a computer that would be my choice.

If you want the convenience of a ripper/store/server that works off the shelf, an Innuos Zen Mini will do everything the Core can do, and much more, for half the price.

3 Likes

I’ve just bought the Sonus Faber speakers and will be keeping them for a while yet. Although this upgraditis bug is definitely a problem :grinning:

Audition always the best option, I’ll possibly look to do that next weekend.

1 Like

I tend to agree with your point on the Core, which is why I questioned the investment. As you say it seems disproportionate vs the value of the other Uniti devices. I’m happy with ripping CDs on my MacBook Pro (I use Apple Music rather than DBpoweramp though, so far it’s worked fine) and using a USB drive on the streamer.

One of the things I am interested to test actually is the sound quality of a CD played via a Star or Audiolabs 6000 CDT vs the ripped version of the same CD using USB (ALAC or FLAC file). There should, I suppose, be little difference.

WRT 1. You are right that the Star could reveal more of the bass, but as the SFs don’t have much output in the bass, they may not really exploit a more powerful amp. The amp can’t deliver bass if the speakers don’t present a load at those frequencies.

WRT 2. If you are trying to price justify the Core the answer is probably not to get one. It is about 80% the price of the Atom, but I would not be without mine.

Keep in mind there is no “bad” choice here. But if you can’t do an audition, then do lots of research and take your time about it all. ChrisSU also brought up the possibility of a Nova. To my mind that would be a better upgrade than the Star in the long run, but you would still need to decide what to do about your CDs. Good luck!

1 Like

There is a new CD transport from Audiolab, very well reviewed by Paul Rigby . It’s an improvement on the highly regarded 6000CDT (which I think is stunningly good value for money)

My thought on reading the original post was that the Atom is half width, some of the half width ProJect CD players with digital out ?

1 Like

I bought a Uniti Star to replace my Uniti1, the CD drive of which had failed, and I needed CD playback. The Star sounds fuller, crisper all round and noticeably better on percussion sounds, to me. Bass/kick drum sounds almost palpable, which I never experienced with the Uniti1, it just seems to be there.
I miss the flexibility of CD playback of the Uniti, but have got used to the combination of app and remote, and to me playback of CDs ripped to a WD Passport by the Star does sound slightly different (better?) on the Star.
The extra 30w power does make a marked improvement, to me. I have no experience of the Core or the Atom.
Playback is through Royd Doublets, if it helps. The Uniti CD was actually repaired by Naim, and sold on, and I’m now really enjoying the Star, and, having HDMI Arc improves tv sound, too.
As always, YMMV.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the Star also support simple CD playback as well as the rip and store capability?

Agree entirely on HDMI arc. Our TV sound through the Atom is superb, very crisp and clear on the vocals as well as great audio generally.