Uniti Core - can I control using Windows PC instead of app?

Have been using the Core for. Couple of years now, controlled using the Naim App on my iPad. Been having unrelated iPad issues, and wondering if I can control, select songs, create playlists, etc, directly from a Windows based computer, a laptop to be specific. Search the data Bases, it appears possible with the streaming units, but there is no references to the Core. I am using the DAC -1 (as a DAC, not as a preamp) if that matters at all. Thanks, Bill

The Core can only be controlled with the Naim app on iOS os Android.

Any difference between android and iOS apps? With my iPad issues, I have been thinking of buying a Samsung android tablet (cheaper than Apple) but don’t want to go away from iPad if the android app for Naim does not function as well. ((The point of the original question was wondering if I could use the pc as an option while I figure out my tablet situation))

The iPad app is far better than the Android app.
Best
David

In what ways? Display/appearance or function?

The app was developed on iOS, and only much later was it ported to Android. When I tried it on an Android device a couple of years ago, it worked fine apart from one or two features that are iOS only, but others seem to have more problems with it.
One of the complications with Android is the wide variety of devices and screen sizes it has to run on, from different brands, which I suspect makes consistent performance more difficult to achieve.

What features are iOS only?

1 Like

You could try installing an Android emulator on Windows like Bluestacks and running the Naim app in the emulator. I tried this a while ago and it worked fine, although I remember having problems with streamer discovery so I had to manually enter the streamer’s IP address.

1 Like

There are some minor functionality/feature things, but mainly the IOS app is more stable and as Chris says one more generation developed than the android app.

Best

David

It’s been a while since I’ve used it so I don’t recall the details. No Rovi booklet on Android, for some reason.

I used an android version of the app for a few years and found it slow. I recently got an ipad and was amazed at how much better it was. As I don’t use it for much else beside controling two naim systems, it is basically a bloody expensive remote control.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.