Uniti Core random loss of album artwork

That’s clear enough. Why not omit the word folder from that descriptor and say “a .jpg file”, rather than a file labelled folder.jpg? Transposing the words file and folder is bound to bring on a bout of serious confusion for we literal thinkers. Come to think about it, it might be worse than that. Amongst my boyhood hobbies I listed train spotting (nb two words, not like the fillum) and stamp collecting. I had hopes of growing up to be fully formed philatelist, but I never had the funds for that, just as E. L. Wisty hoped to go on to do the judgin’, but never had the Latin. So I’m probably on the autistic spectrum as well.

Will do.

Thanks again. For your patience especially.

The point you are maybe missing is that the file has to be named folder.jpg, not Beethoven5.jpg or whatever.

Hi David. Thank you for your reply.

I have set up internal SSD as music store, that is what puzzles me?

Providing you let the Core format the SSD, you should see the downloads and Music/MQ folders.

Ah, yes. Why I mean is rips that were not carried out by the Core.

In fact when I reimport the back up, will the Core identify previous rips that I can edit within the app?

Yes. Rips made in a Naim server should go into the Music/MQ folder and other rips and downloads should go into the downloads folder. You can edit anything in the downloads folder with a PC. You don’t need them to be out of the Core for editing.

Hmmm, that’s what I did. I went through the new set up, which formatted the SSD drive and i it then chose that drive as the store. When I browse through a PC to the Core, I am unable to see the folder structure (MQ/downloads etc) All I see was the pic from my previous post, puzzled me?

I think you need to go up a level on your PC. If you navigate to \\ip number/ you should see the two folders. Ip number is the current ip number of the Core. You can get that from the Naim app.

Exactly. File named folder, but still a file and not a folder.

Cat named dog, but still a cat and not a dog.

That’s cognitive dissonance, right there. For us literal thinkers at least.

Yeah well you will have to ask Naim about that. I didn’t decide what it should be called. I am just telling you how you can make it work, if you want to. Anyway I’ll leave you to it.

Hi David,

I can’t seem to find it? I guess I can see Uniticore under MY PC, and network locations. Forgive my ignorance, where else do I need to look?

Just to add…I checked IP address on the app. And still I can’t browse to the Core ?

You need to be using Windows explorer or the Mac equivalent. If you look at the online advice for Core on the Naim website, they explain it better there.

Thank you. I obviously need to learn a bit more about this.

I really appreciate your help.

Off to the Naim website I go!!!

You can’t browse in a browser like Edge or Safari or Firefox. You have to use a network browser like Windows Explorer.

1 Like

I went to the Core Downloads folder and opened the Scarlatti D. album folder containing the re-sized jpg file. I changed the name of that file from Domenico Scarlatti - Sonatas Vol. 1 to folder.jpg and saved. The artwork still does not show.

Next I will try putting the music files back into Mp3tag and removing the embedded image which was saved into them at 3000x3000 pixels, then save them again with no embedded image at all, relying only on the folder.jpg image file enclosed in the folder. This should leave them in the format recommended by Naim.

On a Mac you can browse the Core SSD from the Finder “Go” menu item - then choose connect to server
Connect as Guest, it will ask what you want to mount - should show “Downloads” + “Music”

1 Like

@davidhendon I have made changes to the Scarlatti D. album directly on the downloads folder using Mp3tag.

I removed the embedded jpg files from the music tags. To be sure that changes were working I also changed the artist name to Angela Hewitt (replacing a much longer attribution which seemed to include her piano technician) then saved the changes to all 16 tracks. So no images embedded and the album folder containing a resized image labelled folder.jpg.

The cover artwork still does not display. The changed description of the artist is present below the album title when displayed in the albums list. When the album is opened to select files for the playlist the track descriptions are present but not the artist name. When tracks are selected into the playlist the artist name is present below each track.

It occured to me that these are all Hi Res FLAC files, not WAV. As a double check I opened another Hi Res FLAC folder downloaded some time ago, this time Grieg works for strings by the Bergen Phil. This folder has two separate jpgs with different file names and sizes, one at 1407x1387 and another at 300x295. This album has always displayed the album artwork.

Not sure if it helps, or is a distraction, but I use Jaikoz to edit my classical music downloads. With Jaikoz you can include artwork for each track if not already showing, as well as editing the file name for the download file and for individual tracks. I find the metadata is very poor on most downloads, with many inconsistencies between companies. I sometimes have to downsize the image for it to show in the Core, and rename the jpg image as folder.jpg as others have already said.

1 Like

@Chris-G that’s interesting, thanks.

As I described above I have removed the image from the music tags, leaving the folder with a single file named folder.jpg, as advised. This image is reduced to 1000x1000 as advised. Yet still it does not display, so I am casting around as to what to do next. For peace of mind it might just be best to dismiss it as yet another first world problem and sit back and listen to the music, which plays perfectly and sounds just as delicious without any image.

From your experience in using Jaikoz where you found it necessary to downsize an image can you say what size image you might typically have started with which would not display and what size you had to reduce it to before it would display?