Uniti Core Scratching cds

Has anyone encountered this? The unit seems to be scratching about every one in 5 cds I rip in it. The scratches are quite faint but I’m not imagining it . I bought 5 new CDs and it definitely scratched one of them . Is it the slot loading mechanism or do I just have a faulty box?

uniti scratch, back to the dealer. Undoubtedly, something wrong.

Yes, it would certainly appear so . I thought that maybe this was just the way with slot loading mechanisms . Frustrating !

you can still listen to music, with tidal or usb stick into your ndx. And you will have after a brand new core. If on guarantee still, you should ask for an exchange.

1 Like

I have ripped about 1500 cd,s never noticed a scratch. Just to make sure I ripped 5 pristine new cd,s this morning, no damage. Talk to your dealer or take it back. It’s a cheap Teac cd drive, the dealer may even be able to change it?

2 Likes

The slot is quite narrow, unnecessarily so I think. I am extremely careful putting CDs in, allowing the Core to pull it in rather than pushing it myself, and haven’t had any scratches that I noticed, but it’s not as foolproof as the Unitiserve was.

I guess a slight misalignment between the CD drive and the slot could be the problem. If you get down and look the Core in its slot, as it were, you may be able to see.
Best
David

1 Like

Make sure any CDs that you feed it are completely free of any debris - most will be removed by the lips of the slot loader but I had at least one CD that had wasn’t ripping properly and I found a piece of grit lodged in the surface that could easily have come free and caused problems. Best talk to your dealer and take it from there to get it sorted.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suspect that the unit was damaged in transit somehow when it was sent to me from my dealer.

My dealer has agreed to replace it and I should have the new unit in a few weeks.

On a positive note , the Core sounds great through my NDX. I acquired a Chord Signature Super Aray ex demo for £300 and am using it on the digital out of the Core. It’s made a significant difference to the detail and presentation. Not sure that I’d pay the retail price of £800 for it though.

I think it’s a good discipline to take a quick look at any CD before putting it into the Core slot and remove any dust or whatever from the surface. In practice I find new CDs are always clean.

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.