Uniti Nova for highish end vinyl

I am not concerned about being spied upon its more about using a mobile too much when there are more important things to do. Having said that if you turn off your phone, turn off location tracking, and do a journey then turn it on again then you can see that your phone has indeed tracked you. This was discovered by a US news channel when doing an investigation. It was on Tucker Carlton’s show I think

If your phone is turned off, you have to place it under a tinfoil hat to keep the government from accessing it. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, a Fox News show host. The bastion of truth for America. LOL

2 Likes

I’m afraid that is a misunderstanding by someone who doesn’t understand how phone systems work.

When you turn your phone on again it will try to locate where you are by reference to the cell sites it can see. It is required to do that by FCC rules so that if you make a 911 call, they know where to send the responders to help you.
Best

David

The only way you can turn it off is to remove battery from a mobile device. ( been told by an IT professional )
Also a camera on a laptop and monitors camera actually can monitor or listening in. I thought it was completely bonkers but I am not surprised if it’s true.

1 Like

Gotta take the battery out if you are completely paranoid. :wink:

1 Like

Here is Technics SL1200M3D during setup:

slip-mat got substituted for the original rubber mat, but I do not believe I will be able to squeeze much more out of this set.
The thing is, through all the incarnations of my Sondek (even before it got Keel-ed, Geddon-ed and Lyra-ed) it pushed me towards upgrading my digital front-end. Vinyl always had that extra “something” that HDD, Tidal, CDS3 and Wadia 781i did not. I know that folks at Audiogon argue ad nauseum about this little “something” and now, finally, I understand the argument. Whatever that “analog magic” was in my TOTL “olive” Naim… it is Not here. Other than that, Uniti sounds absolutely marvelous!!

What’s the phono stage?

all-tube Retro Phono Stage from PJL Electronics, customized for Goldring 2100 cart

Thanks.

Your IT Professional is a bit paranoid. You turn a mobile phone off by turning it off. But it’s true that if someone with malign intent has had physical access to it, then they might have installed firmware which makes you think it’s off when it’s not. But this is non-trivial and not likely to affect you unless the NSA has an interest in you. Removing the battery may help in that situation but you can’t remove the battery from many phones, iPhones for example.

Making the camera on your laptop or computer monitor live while you are using it is much easier to do though and that’s why some people stick a piece of tape over their laptop camera and some laptops even have a built in cover that you slide into place.

I think really that there is nothing for the normal non-paranoid phone user to worry about (and I am a communications engineering professional). But even if you are paranoid, it doesn’t mean they are not out to get you!

Best

David

1 Like

While my main system was in storage I got an Atom then a Nova.

The Nova is very good for the price point as a streaming source, an old NAP 250 beefed up the output, but when I hooked up my old LP12 (Ekos/OC9/Lingo/Linto) I started rediscovering my vinyl after a few years without, and was soon buying new vinyl again.

I was a little disappointed to discover the analogue inputs are digitised but in practice I found the device more than adequate at showing the qualities that have always made me prefer vinyl to digital sources. Several newer albums I purchased on CD or HiRes quality download were eclipsed by the enjoyment I got from purchasing the equivalent LP on vinyl.

Fair to say I’ve not listened to the LP12 directly through the Nova for some months as I’m using it as a streamer into an older active setup with a newer NAC 282.

While I think the Nova does an admirable job digitising anologue inputs I think you’d have to demo one in the context of your system/expectations to ensure it does what you want.

1 Like

Yes. That’s our government and all tech companties want you to think. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But what I am saying to you is that I do actually know. Anyway believe what you like!
Best

David

1 Like

I trust you but need to verify. :grinning:

Perhaps a psychiatrist should be more appropriate than a communication engineering professional? just some humor however…:crazy_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.