Uniti Nova has been burning for three months, but it still sounds terrible!

Yes but we don’t know if he’s also changed the cables. Or didn’t notice with the star. Just want to rule it out. Every unit goes through a listening test (amongst other things) after an extensive soak test, and before final packing + shipment. Assuming there hasn’t been a component failure, the unit should sound the same as it did at the factory.

Thanks for elaborating. Out of interest, do you know how often something gets rejected based on the listening test?

I can’t say statistically but it can happen.

You seem to be missing the advice, some from the Naim Forum moderator. Waiting another 3 months is as likely to improve matters as much as making sure you only wear blue cotton socks whilst listening to it.

You seem hesitant to contact your dealer. Is it a long distance or are they unapproachable?

I know how frustrating things like this can be but burn in simply does not make that much difference.

The longer you leave things the more likely it is that you won’t get a satisfactory response from your dealer.

CALL YOUR DEALER.

.sjb

6 Likes

It baffles that the OP is sufficiently unhappy with the sound to ask a question here yet is willing to but up with ‘terrible’ sound for another six months. It defies common sense. As I have said, you have said, Richard has said, and others have said, it should sound good in the first few minutes. No amount of run in can change something from terrible to good. It’s very strange.

3 Likes

My system wiring is a complete set of Naim wiring, which is actually the first star I bought. After upgrading to 3.50, the screen doesn’t light up, and I took the opportunity to change a nova. The star has a good voice appeal, while Nova has a faster and three-dimensional sound. Because Nova may be a prototype, and the foot pad is damaged, I replaced it with a completely new one. This one is perfect in appearance, but the sound is less energetic and dull. I think it’s too new Maybe I don’t have enough time to cook. Although it’s been three months, it doesn’t last 24 hours. I’ve been watching the forum these two days. Don’t some people need 5-9 months for their equipment? I won’t contact the dealer for the time being, because the merchant said that the judgment of voice is too subjective, and it’s not in a city, so it’s necessary to deliver goods. If it’s difficult now, it’s also difficult to communicate with each other. Let’s look at the pot again, the effect of the equipment should be fixed in nine months, and then consider the treatment method

Do you mean you have only used the nova for 24 hours, and otherwise it has been switched off? Or switched on for 3 months but you’ve only listened to it for 24 hours during that time?

You seem to want to believe this, so maybe it will come true for you. The main issue seems to be your relationship with your dealer. You could do worse than send him a link to this thread where ALL the advice is that if it is not sounding to your liking now, it will sound no different in 5-9 months time.

.sjb

I presumed this meant it wasn’t turned on 24 hours a day but it’s probably no harm checking.

.sjb

The longer you leave it, the less likely it is that your dealer will be willing to do anything about it. Either you are unhappy with the sound or you are not. Lots of very experienced people are advising you to get in touch with your dealer. You asked for advice yet you won’t follow it. I wonder why that is. Maybe there is no problem after all. That said, and following a couple of questions above:

1. Are you leaving the Nova switched on 24 hours a day?

2. How many hours has the Nova played music since you got it?

2 Likes

This thread is ridiculous, regardless of the apparent language barrier.

2 Likes

If the screen doesn’t light up and the hardware fails, I can find a business. The judgment of voice is subjective and difficult to replace. My nova is turned on 24 hours, but it doesn’t play music all 24 hours in three months. Most of it is standby. Because of the language barrier, I have to use translation software to communicate, ha!

I understand that writing in a language that is not your own is not easy.

The simple fact seems to be that you had a Star and it sounded good. Now you have a Nova and it sounds bad. That is not right, and that is what you should be speaking to your dealer about. The Nova should be clearly better than the Star.

We have all suggested that you should speak to your dealer and explain the problem. That’s what you should do. There is really no more that any of us advise.

There is no reason why the Nova should sound worse than a Star, even if the Nova is brand new.
I agree with others here that you should speak to your dealer to get it checked out as soon as possible.

My Nova sounded amazing straight out of the box. Admittedly it was an ex demo but only a few weeks old and with not much use.

Nine months sounds insane. However, I’d try blue cotton socks first.

2 Likes

I’ve never had a piece of Naim Kit that sounded ‘bad’ out of the box. The higher end sources I have had, CDS3, CD555 and most recently ND555 have all improved quite dramatically over a period of time but they were great to start with in my opinion. The only time I power down is if I am away for a more than a long weekend and that is when it is more noticeable for me, the day or so this kit takes to come back on song AFTER it’s been run in.

There have been quite dramatic differences in firmware sonic signatures.

I had an early Nova and after the first few firmware updates I really hated the sound of newer firmware.

Could it be possible your ‘prototype’ was simply running older firmware that you preferred?

I’d say for about 2 years I kept reverting to an older firmware version that sounded great. Still different but firmware in the last 9-12 months has sounded very good and I revert less frequently.

Do not underestimate the difference firmware can make in terms of sound quality.

Also what are your sources? Nova analogue/digital inputs or streaming/USB etc?

Exactly how would Kimber or any cable be incompatible? I’ve never heard of such a thing. What speaker cables are compatible then? What characteristics of cable to I want to either avoid or seek out for my Atom?

Basic advice but worth sharing - Check your speaker cables are connected correctly to the Nova. If you have Naim plugs make sure the red socket is with the little + tag on the plug (on the outside in both cases) and each cable goes to correct left and right speaker. Left is on the left looking at the speakers.

2 Likes

Ah thanks