Uniti nova or Superuniti BT!?

There’s a Nova on the bay (2020 model) private seller…£3300!!! Hasn’t even registered the thing yet with Naim, so five year guarantee, etc.

That’s a totally cost neutral situation if I sell my SN2, ND5XS, CD5X and Flatcap 2X…but reading the above as per usual opinions seem a little divided.

Easy answer is to listen to one…but that’s tricky at the moment due to covid restrictions, so it then becomes a leap of faith :roll_eyes:.

So it boils down to flexibility. As mentioned above, maybe I keep the SN2, sell everything else (CD5X, ND5XS, Flatcap 2X) and buy a new (or ex dem) ND5XS2 which gives me the latest streaming without throwing in the towel completely. On the occasional boozy evening I can still play a bit of vinyl too :crazy_face:

I think I’d be inclined to listen to one first before you make such a bold move. I had a Nova and then moved up to a NDX2 /SN3 and it was a considerable improvement imo so just be careful you don’t end up disappointed, the Nova is great but better then separates I’m not sure although you will get the updated streamer capabilities

1 Like

Cheers Hollow…that’s what I’m now thinking. Lifestyle is good if you have a need to save space. My lifestyle system is in the bedroom where anything more than one ‘box’ would not meet with the approval of she that must be obeyed’!
I think keeping the amplifier as a ‘seperate’ is in hindsight desirable. Maybe just a streamer upgrade then…to a ND5XS2. Keeps the boys and girls in Salisbury gainfully employed too. :+1:

I don’t know why, I’ve known several who prefer the SQ of the legacy streamers. The guy who I bought my SU from went to the Nova b/c he wanted to be on the new platform and later wanted to buy my SU back back b/c he preferred the sonics of the SU. He ended up going to the 272 instead and is happy. I’ve only compared them at my dealer and I can only say the sound is different, not necessarily better or worse. I’m sure my ears would adjust but I’m going the 272 route as well so it’s neither here nor there.

I moved to a Nova from a SuperUniti and I feel like it was an all around performance upgrade, not just benefits due to the new streaming platform. Same goes for the move from Qute to Atom. I am very happy with the Nova, but have never owned a Naim separates system, nor made any sort of “downgrade” move.

In your shoes, it might be worth asking for help from @trickydickie to set up the Qobuz-over-UPnP server on your NAS, which would give you access to that streaming service with your existing SuperUniti (and your ND5XS). It is also reported to improve Tidal on the old platform, bringing it to the same quality as local streaming. The new platform solves this issue a different way, but that can be for later…

Then you could do a “main room” comparison, moving your SU downstairs and listening vs the two-box SN2+ND5XS to get a feel for the “lifestyle” vs “separates” system experience. The new gear is better, but not a lot of love for the Nova vs an SN2+new platform streamer on this forum… but how great a difference? And what about price / performance? Only you can decide!

In my mind, there was a clear “everything better and more solid” upgrade when moving from SU to Nova, so you would need only determine “how much more do I like the SN2+ND5XS than the SU, given optimal streaming of a good internet service over a UPnP bridge”? Then guess, or demo, where the Nova lands on that spectrum… certainly (again in my view, and with due respect to the opinion of ElMarko and his friend) it will be better with a Nova than the SU, but perhaps shy of the SN2+ND5SX2 upgrade you are considering (according to others, especially Mike_S, who runs both).

As @Mike_S says, great problem to have… and in lockdown, plenty of time to learn, implement alternative streaming solutions to optimize the native performance of both your SU and ND5SX, and play around a bit in your main room to see how things could look and feel with a different one- or two-box solution.

Have fun whichever way you go!

Regards alan

2 Likes

Thanks Alan for your response there. Indeed it’s not a bad starting point to be in…to have two Naim systems (not unusual on here) seems quite indulgent, but does allow for some experimentation.
I guess this is the fundamental question with streaming music from online providers such as Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, etc, as this way of listening to our music evolves and improves (let alone the possibility of Iradio adopting newer methods of broadcasting at higher quality) upgrades in the hardware used to access this content will also therefore need periodically to be done.
Maybe (in hindsight) I should have held off a little bit longer in taking the plunge (two years ago now I brought my first device…ND5XS) but it seemed the right time to me. My Wife and I have enjoyed the convenience so much of exploring not only music we already physically owned but new music we had never even heard of…thousands all at our fingertips!
I’m probably going to maintain the separation of streamer and amplifier as (to my ears) the Supernait 2 sounds very good so why change it.
It’s a no to the nova then and a hello (at some point) to the ND5XS2.

That sounds like a plan, and the tales of others here who have done the same seem universally positive. So much so, it often makes me look to see what would be involved for a next step upgrade. But it is a huge jump financially (especially here in Canada) and there seems to be a sort of inevitability to the whole 2-box to 4-box improvement plan that tips it beyond my personal comfort / lifestyle / interest / investment threshold.

Like you, the entire streaming journey has been a revelation as well as a rekindling of my youthful passion for music writ large. First the entire rediscovery of old favourites, with fingertip access served from a simple NAS. Then Radio Paradise, which has an excellent DJ driven program that inspired me to buy more new artists than any other single factor, well at least since I was a teenager. Then Spotify integrated, and quickly thereafter Tidal with access to what often feels like every CD ever made… yes I know it isn’t really, but it’s good that it feels that way! Whole worlds of jazz and classical and, especially lately, relaxation and ambient music have opened up for m in a far more systematic way than I can even imagine in a world without Tidal, Roon, and a beautiful user experience to accompany the flow of music.

The new systems sound fantastic and offer convenience and choice. I’m really happy with mine. It sounds like you are too, and that is a very good thing.

Keep us posted as you experiment and upgrade. Even the single-box-lifestylers really enjoy reading about the journeys of others. Take care, stay healthy, do your part!

Regards alan

edit to add: I’ve recently been on a low-cost quest to add convenience and functionality to my home by installing Raspberry Pi Roon end points and relatively high performance but still inexpensive DACs. I’m not saying you need to do this, and it is definitely a fork in your planned road, but I think it would be fun and worthwhile to pause and do a coordinated Roon trial, coupled with an hour setting up RoPieee on a tiny, easily hidden $100 box, and a demo with this going into your SN2 via any number of DACs (from the $150 Toppings to the $800 Soekris or Schiit or Denafrips, to the sky’s the limit models you will come across on any forum, including some great forum posts on here from the Chord and Mytek and, perhaps less so, RME or Benchmark fans).

There are lots of ways to reimagine your source. Exploring Roon opens a lot of doors … and imho it would be time well spent since it is a major differentiator between the old and the new Uniti streaming platform too. It may not be for you, but it would be a ton of fun finding out for yourself.

1 Like

@ElMarko

Interesting. It´s not the only person i read about , saying so.
I would opt for the cliché auditioning in home, if possible.
(instead of going back n forth with selling process)

@pev999

As a confess BMW fan, i got to say that when i pushed the triger , i ended buying a Honda (VFR800), for reliability reasons.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.