Uniti Star Display Disappears after Firmware Upgrade

correct!

Oh well, didnt expect them to really. It was a big ask but it would be nice to know if any of our theories were right.
Maybe @Richard.Dane is in a position to comment.

I can’t do that on my router sadly but the split router works fine so will leave until a patch is released

Ray, I just know that Naim are working on a fix for those who are affected. I’d imagine they will update us when a solution is successfully tested and ready.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what it changes audio wise this time. :slight_smile:

My display froze for the first time tonight. I had been mucking around with my network so it had lost connectivity. So this goes with the network issues I have had before when it looses network connection it freaks it out.

I’ve been having the same problem ever since 3.2 came out. Can’t wait for new firmware!!!

Same problem (screen freeze after sleep) with 6m old Nova. Virgin Router (Hub 3.0) >100mbps, WiFi, with or without static IP for Nova. Problem lies entirely with buggy firmware update. Same problem evident with my 8mbs setup a few weeks ago (Netgear - WiFi). Trouble started the day I upgraded and I was one of the first to do so. No problems with the firmware the Nova carried when bought.

Try waking up the screen simply by pressing the star button on the Naim Nova remote control, to save the suboptimal fiddling with full shut down . I never had to mess about with cables and cutting off voltage/power supply to wake up the screen, but I have had to resort to full shut down, rather than sleep, before I discovered the proposed trick.

I have been loyal to Naim for 35 years. The company should now take drastic action with the new firmware and those who approved it. Blushing or not, it should own up by formal announcement and offer straight forward solutions to all, not just those who write, including perhaps a firmware upgrade which would actually return people to their previously flawless firmware. Pretending that this problem applies to some customers only, is like hiding one’s face behind one’s finger and is far more eroding to its reputation than full openness in my view. One does not expect to experience circumstances like this with hardware at this price level.

In addition, I do not know about you, but I installed the new firmware with a lot of anticipation because I was led to believe that it would include a no luminance option similar the MuSo’s, Qb or otherwise (I own both). I had not expected that I would not have a straightforward path to reverse the firmware “upgrade” (without emails to staff) or that illumination changes would be restricted to the screen, and would be ineffective even at that.

I wish to finish on a positive note. Sound is dark and wonderful with B&W 705 S2 speakers on their own stands.

2 Likes

Wow, it’s 2 months since the issue was reported and no fix yet. Probably we will not see anything until September as as far as I remember Naim is closed in August. Just I do not know what to think.

Well I know what to think. I bought a NAD M10 with which I’m perfectly happy now. I’ve lost al confidence in Naim and the way they handle this. No excuses, no explanations, no solutions. The worst a company can behave in situations like this, and who says this wont happen again ?

2 Likes

Hello this is my first post. I purchased a Star approx y months ago and have the same issue. It is fixed by turning unit off and then unplugging power. After reconnecting to power it always solves the problem- but still disappointing for a unit of this price.

1 Like

Yes, we all know the solution … and are unplugging for almost 3 months now.

Still have problem with screen freezes on my nova.

The 3.2 is really full of bug, the 2.6 had problems with sound presentation.

Naim, please owner to allow downgrade to 2.3 which why the right amplifier we have bought !

This one sounded superb and no bug and very fast responses to the app.

1 Like

Fully agree

3.3 is out!

Firmware update 3.3.0 for Uniti Atom, Star and Nova

Today sees the release of a significant firmware update for our Uniti range, fixing a range of display and usability issues, plus adding fresh internet radio functionality. Thanks to all Uniti users for their patience while these bugs were fixed.

This release will be followed in coming weeks by a Firmware update for our network players – ND 5 XS 2, NDX 2 and ND 555 – that addresses some minor bug fixes, plus also adds Apple AirPlay 2 support.

The fixes and updates in full:

New: Internet radio stations can be stopped and resumed by pressing the pause button

Fixed: Front panel display would not always switch on
Fixed: Front display does not time out so quickly during playback
Fixed: Music from UPnP server would sometimes be visible in the Naim app but would not play
Fixed: Front panel would not always offer rescan option if DAB had not yet been scanned
Fixed: Swiping through tracks on Naim app would sometimes select wrong track
Fixed: Missing bit rate and depth information on USB and UPnP input
Fixed: Tidal logout via Naim app
Fixed: Uniti Star would occasionally fail to play from its music store
Fixed: DAB stations list would sometimes be missing some stations after a rescan
Fixed: Last played DAB radio station resumes on input selection
Fixed: DAB radio stations list would occasionally be truncated after station scan

Installing now.

Fingers crossed!!!

I have installed the update and it has not solved my frozen screen problem.

Good to see an unreserved apology from Naim. It rose to its considerable reputation.

However, I am beginning to think they are looking in the wrong direction as they debug the firmware.

I had been OK for a while with the previous version, following deactivation of all the server functions (server input disabled in input settings, server mode disabled in other settings), . After installing the new software, I reactivated the server functions and found the screen frozen the next day.

I am now deactivating the above once again, although there is no guarantee that this will work following the latest firmware changes.

Sadly, this is an issue which could reach notoriety status! Too much outsourcing By Naim/Focal? Just take a look at the acknowledgments section in Naim app/settings/about

I was talking to my dealer who had a similar Star problem, and a Naim techie came out and played around with the unit with firmware. Apparently not easy to repeat back at HQ. Sounds like they need to get out in the field to the customers.

That is what public beta testing is supposed to do but although there are plenty of beta testers, they aren’t seeing this problem, as you know. It must be of great concern to Naim.
Best

David

1 Like

Everything seems to be working for me. I don’t use server functions.

@Theodore, please could you make contact with Naim support, giving as much details as you possibly can on the issue you are experiencing. If you could do a short video clip, that would be most helpful.

Same to anybody else experiencing screen freeze - please contact Naim support, giving as much detail as you can on the issue. Many thanks.

1 Like