Unitilite drawer, yet again

I know there are several threads on the issue, and I’ve been through them but couldn’t really find the answer.
A friend of mine has a four-year-old Unitilite - as with so many others, the drawer refuses to come out on its own.
For a while, it was possible to open the door, the drawer would come out and you could play a cd.
However, he’s left it too long, and now the drawer refuses to come out altogether, even when you’ve managed to open the door.
The belt apparently needs to be replaced, but how do you get the drawer to come out if it refuses to do so after pulling the flap down? Can you pull it out with tweezers… a heavy-duty wrench, a sledgehammer?
I’m feeling a bit guilty as I persuaded him to get a Unitilite - needless to say, his opinion of Naim stuff is rather low now…
Any suggestion will be appreciated… thanks.

I have the same issue, except the draw comes out when the flap is down.

I’ve found that just ejecting and loading can help a little.

However, I wonder if the belt has broken or whether it has expanded and lost traction with the warmer weather.

I have pulled the tray when it hasn’t fully come out but of course at my own risk.

Overall I’m not so bothered, but will just keep the lite till it fails. The only real option I guess is a return to Naim.

1 Like

Just pull it out with anything. It won’t be stuck, just a bit sleepy. Tell your friend definitely not to bother trying to take the cover off the Unitilite. It doesn’t help in the tiniest bit and he might break something else. You change the belt through the drawer slot. It’s not that hard to do at all.

Best

David

3 Likes

@davidhendon @porkyg.
Thanks for your replies. I’d read your posts on the other threads, David, but I didn’t know whether you could actually pull the drawer out if it seemed to be stuck. I will report on my progress - I can’t really trust the friend, I’m not sure he can tell a screwdriver from a hammer.

1 Like

It’s much easier than it looks. I mean really much easier than it looks.

Best

David

1 Like

The drawer appears to be definitely stuck - no amount of coaxing will persuade it to come out.
Like the proverbial parrot, it’s not sleepy, it’s dead… I think there’s another issue with it and the whole mechanism may have to be changed.
Thanks for your suggestions, there’s probably little we can do.

Probably is another issue then. It probably will have to go back to Naim.
Best

David

I had the same problemen. The problem is caused by the cd drive that is not lowered enough to let the tray pass. When you open the case of th UnitiLite you can remove the screws of the drive and slide a white plastic part under the drive sideways. That will lower the cd drive and you can pull out the tray.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply; I’m a bit loath to open someone else’s Unitilite, but I might try one of these days.
Do you put that white plastic part into its original position when you reassemble the cd drive?

You can leave the white plastic part sideways, so that the cd drive/laser will stay in the low position.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.