UnitiServe Flac to Wave decoding

Save/restore the HD image

My first Unitiserve was indeed destroyed by a lightning strike. It was fried via the Ethernet cable, not the mains power lead. The replacement has survived a number of unexpected power cuts unscathed.

1 Like

I hope mine will be like your second one

Which is the best Synology or Qnap server for music?

Either would be fine. Choice of server is probably more important. Asset is easier to use. Minimserver possibly better for handling metadata on Classical music.

Thanks, but which model exactly of each brand, how many disks and ports - they have so much different options.

They are both good for music, there is no difference.
I prefer Synology, I’m more used to it & like the OS & the product support more.
Both have preinstalled DNLA/UPnP software packages, both use 3rd party software such as the forum favourites Asset UPnP & Minimserver
They both have different power/size of CPU, memory & disk bays, both take HDD or SSD.
For music you don’t need a large size CPU, however as always more is better, but budget limited purchases need not be concerned about this for music & basic storage.
A 2 bay is all thats needed (IMO) some say a 1 bay is enough, others insist on 4 bay, whatever they all work well & in use there is no difference for music.

Personally I use a single bay NAS as it has enough capacity for my needs. Of course you want more drives for backup, but then you don’t want them in the same enclosure.
A more basic model is arguably better suited to music use, as it’s low power, and can generate less audible and electrical noise. A UPnP music server is not a demanding piece of software.

What about this option?
Qnap HS-251+

Have a read here Qnap ts - 251+ - #3 by Antz

its HS - not the TS

Are you looking at HS because of the shape?

OK if that form is your choice, the 251, and the + are all good, it isn’t affected by the box shape & size.
That said all QNAP & Synology models no matter what shape are a good choice for music

They say its the best for the music streaming, silent etc

BTW I did some tests yesterday - Asset on Mac vs US.
Yes Asset gets really close, but US sounds still better.

If silent is something for you, OK go for it.
But keep in mind that all modern NAS are very quiet. My DS214 is in the listening rooom, but it’s inside a small cabinet & it’s silent. The added benefit of a cabinet is it stops the flashing LED’s which to me are far more a problem than a very low noise that’s impossible to hear when the music is playing.

I can switch off flashing leds on my WDs

Don’t judge Asset, it’s a DNLA/UPnP & doesn’t have much SQ effect if it’s running correctly.
most SQ variations will be from the Mac, I suspect too much other stuff is running in the background at the same time.
I know someone who has a stripped out IBM that he uses for just music & video, and he says it’s as good as his business NAS setup.

Yes, it was just for reference in case something useful to you was mentioned eg hard drive recommendations.

1 Like

No Mike, I will keep the US connected to WD NAS.
This green Naim logo in front of It gives me hope in the dark every night … and I love it

Best

Serge

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.