UnitiServe Flac to Wave decoding

Ok will share the price when I know it.

We have to establish a direct connection to discuss the drinks etc I guess

Ask Richard if he can give you my contact info.

Which price should I ask?

I can give you my french mobile

if Richard allows.

Ok when time comes and I know the dates

What is eventually my correct offer taking into consideration that it’s old technology etc ?

It can only be what it is worth to you. UK prices seem to vary around 400-500 pounds at the moment.

Ok will offer then 300 euros

1 Like

If the price is less than 500, why not. For 1k, if I had to choose today, I would take an Innuos mini. Much more friendly than the Unitserve.
If the ripping is not important, a Melco N1h second hand.
I had the later before and it sounded better vs my Unitserve/ Uptone Js1 .
The Unitserve can break at any moment, is noisy ( the hdd), and a pain in the a…for downloads. You can wait many hours to the download to appear. And sometimes it never appears.

Ok then 200)

I link it with my WD Nas “Best” folder - this way it seems to work. ( I have 4 WD 4bays units), each 12TB
Internal HD dedicated only to CD rips

A bientôt j’espère

1 Like

Anyway, for 300/400 you can’t find something better. And it looks good too. Keep it. If thunderstorms, switch it off, but pressing first the logo Naim. Never switch it off directly.

I know yes. What happens if it switched off directly? Database crash?
And in case of power failure?

You can loose everything on it.

You wouldn’t normally lose everything. What you have in a Unitiserve is a windows XP Embedded computer. The operating system is stored on the same hard disc as the music. There are two different situations to consider. One is that the Unitiserve is currently writing something related to the music to the hard disc when the power is removed and the second is when it isn’t writing something related to the music to the hard disc.

So in the case where it’s not writing to the hard disc, if the power is removed then it’s rather like turning any windows computer off improperly. You will get fragments of files and a general mess that probably won’t hurt the first few times, but one day it may all just be too much and not start up.

If it is writing a music file, for example transcoding a file or making a copy, then that file may be corrupted. You may have to delete it and start again. But probably everything else would be ok.

The main issue is that there isn’t much DIY you can do to rescue a Unitiserve, so if it doesn’t start up again after an improper shutdown, then probably it would need to go back to Salisbury and the only option offered by Naim is a factory service which is expensive. They are very good at saving the music though, even for example in the case of a hard disc failure.

Best

David

One can bring the US to Computer „Expert“ and let him clone the HDD to a SSD/HDD (or DIY). So a HDD crash would not be a problem in the future.

I thought the same

Save/restore the HD image