The following audio formats are currently supported for music playback:

• aac
  • alac
  • e-ac3
  • flac
  • mp3
  • m4a
  • wav

Other supported audio formats will be automatically transcoded for compatibility.

However, not saying if there is optional transcoding for flac > wav

Plex is not very comfortable tbh, need something dedicated to music only

In this case, Iā€™m afraid that if you are sure you hear a difference between straight or transcoded flac on the 272, then your only options are to keep the US or use another NAS with Asset or similar. (Or a Raspberry Pi if you like to tinker, and keep the WD as pure storage)

1 Like

I think I will keep the US

I am trying to play files in the US SSD Download folder on its HD - but canā€™t see themā€¦ any ideas?

Unfortunately no US experience either. Maybe our resident experts like @davidhendon will know

So when you say US SSD, this is not a proper US SSD as built by Naim, which has a trivially tiny internal SSD and relies on a NAS to be the Music Store?

I am assuming that what you have is basically a US which had a 2 TB hard disc drive inside, but the hard disc drive has been replaced with a 2TB (or similar) SSD?

If itā€™s the former then you donā€™t store downloads in the internal SSD, which is for the firmware and a ripping buffer. If itā€™s the latter then you should be able to navigate with a PC or Mac to see the Music/MQ folder where the USā€™s own rips are stored and the Downloads folder where you can store downloaded or other rips that werenā€™t made by the US.

In any case, if you are using the Naim app, the downloads and the rips appear in one listing, so they should be there somewhere. If you are using n-serve for IOS then you can see the downloads folder separately, but there is no reason to do so.

Not sure if that helps at all?

Best

David

No its the original SSD 2TB from Naim

I see the DOWNLOADS Folder on my Macā€™s Desktop, can copy files to it - but donā€™t see them when navigating the US via the Naim app

So far as I know, Naim never made a Unitiserve with a 2 TB SSD in it. Are you quite sure that no-one has modified it?

Best

David

As David says, the Unitiserve is either 2TB HDD, or itā€™s the SSD version which has no internal music storage.

Sorry, itā€™s not the SSD version, just 2TB

1 Like

I want to move my Best music folder to its HD from Nas if possible

I think weā€™ve had this conversation before :slightly_smiling_face:
Just open the folders on a computer then copy the files from one to the other, just like any simple file transfer.

Yes I did - but they donā€™t appear after that on the list of available files. Is there additional scanning option there?

You have to wait until the US scans the downloads. I remember it taking several days sometimes and rarely less than an hour or two before it picked them up. You could try restarting your US and see whether that helps. So far as I remember, the only way to force a rescan is to use the Windows Desktop Client which does include this control.

But I donā€™t think the Mac version of n-serve has this feature, but @ChrisSU may know better than me.

Best

David

Wow, several days? Itā€™s really a toy then and not a streaming device ā€¦

Will have a glass of wine to think )

2 Likes

On earier firmware (or possibly that was just coincidence) I recall that downloads could sometimes take a while to show up in either N-Serve or the Naim app. Itā€™s not an issue I still see though.
You can rescan the drive on N-Serve for Mac which might help.

1 Like

My advice to you is give it back to your dealer. Get yourself a decent nas and load Asset. Itā€™s cheaper, more flexible and very likely will sound better. The UnitiServe is outdated, inflexible and a challenge to back up. Give it a miss.