UnitiServe Flac to Wave decoding

I have activated it yes, the question was about technical aspects, not the settings in the app

It’s done by software not hardware.

Best

David

What I can say for sure - after doing yesterday night several tests, US connected to my 272/XPS combination, them being connected to active ATC 50s - US sounds really better, compared to my WD PR4100.
I can’t explain why, but its another level of sound - especially in high frequencies territory, and ATCs has outlined that clearly.
I don’t have Qnap or Synology to test it with Asset to compare, but so far US is a winner.
Will try to find one for the test.
And I have to think again - to keep the US or not.

Can Asset be installed on my Mac and used as a gateway to my NAS and 272?
I am trying it but 272 says “Can’t Play”

Yes, a UPnP server can be installed on a Mac. It doesn’t have to run on the same device that stores your music files. So for example, a Unitiserve could serve music files stored on your Mac, or Asset running on the Mac could serve music files stored on the Unitiserve, or on any other networked storage device.

FWIW I have a Synology NAS running Minimserver as a backup to my Unitiserve, and the two sound identical. Over the years a number of people here have posted here that either the NAS sounds better, or the Unitiserve sounds better. Perhaps in some cases there is actually a difference, but that is not my experience.

Ok thanks, it works now, I will try to compare today with the US

I’m not sure Asset UPnP will sound better or worse than another DLNA/UPnP audio server, there is little or no difference IME.
But running Asset on a Mac, with files on a US, it might degrade, who knows, I’ve not read of anyone with that structure & comparing SQ.
I’m a great experimenter, but you do seem to be making something simple more complicated than it needs be.

My US experience is very limited, I just helped a friend, mostly with unreliability issues, over about 2 years. I was relieved when he eventually decided to change it for a standard Synology NAS. He did comment he preferred NAS SQ, but reading the forum comments on that shows some say US is better, other the other way, others that their is no difference.

A decent NAS such as Synology or QNAP is (imo) far better than risking all the potential complications of a used US.
A NAS loaded with Asset or Minimserver is as good as it gets.
Use your WD as backup
Rip with dBpoweramp
Life is not any simpler

Other than just playing a CD of course! But yes, your suggestion is one I’d support and is what I do here. For @Tesilk the US seems entirely pointless.

He already has the U-Serve and plays his music through it with great results. It would be entirely pointless getting rid of it based on one individuals personal gripe about it.

It simply does not help.

I understand he has borrowed the US from a dealer to try it & compare with his WD.

Correct

I have a unitiserve and have found a use for it. As HH rightly says, it is old tech and is limited in its functionality. I wouldn’t buy one now, especially if you have a WD nas.

I thought the OP had borrowed it, and has now bought it
Ok.

To the OP, If it suits your needs (functionality) and you think your music sounds more engaging served from the U-Serve than the NAS, then go for it.

The most important thing is if you prefer your music from the UServe, if you don’t hear any difference, then don’t buy it.

The generalisation of ‘poor functionality’ is a red herring, as that aspect relies mostly on how the user wants to use it. I for one have no issue about it’s functionality because it suits the way I want to serve up my music library.

I think if you already have one your thinking is sound, but buying one now, when other options are available?

don’t buying it no, but if i like it i think I will have a very nice price.
That’s why I am thinking

I think I will be in Charente next month, what about a glass of wine somewhere close to AngoulĂȘme?

I really like how it sounds yes

If the price is right and you like it then yes.

Can you tell us the price expected?

Re a drink- yes that sounds like a good idea if Covid restrictions allow us to.