Unitiserve ssd- please help

I have recently had to change my desktop computer and I now have Microsoft 10 instead of Microsoft 7. I had a problem ripping cds and I could see that the last update on my Unitiserve was 1.6c. I am therefore processing all of the updates up to the most recent (1.7c). I put the first disc into my Unitiserve about 1 1/2 hours ago,. How long should this process take?

I believe that my problems are due to the change to Microsoft 10. Can anyone help.
Phil Harris has now left Naim. Does anyone have the name of someone at Naim who can help me?
Many thanks.

It takes about 15 mins.

You put the CD into the US, it spins up and is read. After a minute or so it is ejected. Then you wait. After about ten minutes the US should restart itself. Eventually the logo goes on steady. You may find it is now updated, or you may have to shut it down again in the normal way, then restart it and let it finish. You can check the firmware state using n-serve. If you are wanting to use the Windows desktop client then you need to be using the right version for the software. It should be on the upgrade disc.

So what has happened since you put the CD in?

Best

David

1 Like

Answering other questions, W10 should be OK but you have to re-enable SMB1 because the US uses that to talk to your PC.

There is one guy at Naim who understands US fully and that is Steve Harris (no relation to Phil so far as I know). He won’t particularly want to get involved though unless you really are stuck as his job isn’t support per se (he’s software R&D Director).

You can tell whether you have properly burned the CD image on to a CD by reading the CD. It should have lots of files with product names etc in them.

Best
David

1 Like

Hi David.
The disc sounds as though it is ripping. I think I,m going to have to eject it and try again.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry. Excuse my ignorance but what is SMB1?
Paul.

It’s a protocol used by computers to talk to each other but SMB1 is disabled in Windows 10 for security reasons. If you google how to switch on SMB1 in Windows 10, you will find lots of answers.

Did you burn the update CD yourself or get them from Naim? If the answer is you burned it yourself, try reading it in a PC with a CD drive. If it doesn’t show up as a normal computer CD with file names etc then you may not have burned it right. A common problem is that you could copy the iso file which you have downloaded, whereas what you are supposed to do is burn the image.
Best

David

1 Like

Yes I suggest eject the CD, restart the US in the proper way and then put the CD in. If it doesn’t eject within a couple of minutes then it’s not going to update the firmware.

Best
David

1 Like

You only need to worry about SMB1 if you are trying to talk to your US with your PC over your network. You don’t need it to burn the update CDs or to complete the firmware update process of course.
Best
David

1 Like

Hi David,
Thanks for all of your help. I,ll try your suggestions out and let you know how I get on.
I have received discs 1.7a,b&c from Naim. In the instructions it says to upload disc 1.6g first. I can’t find this anywhere. Any ideas?
Many thanks,
Paul.

you have to use 1.6d first according to Naim’s website. It’s in Customer Support - Updates. You can download it from there but you have to burn a CD as I was mentioning earlier.

You could just ring Naim Support and get them to send you a CD with 1.6d on it. They should have done that already if you are still on 1.6c

Best

David

1 Like

One point - I think you’d be on a safe side if upgrading in order i.e. 1.7 a then 1.7b and 1.7c only once 1.7 b is safely intsalled.
I might be wrong on this one @davidhendon - please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Yes after 1.6d, then you have to do them in order 1.7a, 1.7b and 1.7c, completing each one before attempting the next, as Adam says.

Best

David

1 Like

Thank you both for your kind help. I tried updating my US without success, I believe that this is due to ripping cds stuck in the queue. In the past I have gone into my computer, readynas files and have deleted the problem discs out but my computer won’t allow access to these for some reason.
This all happened whilst I was ripping a disc earlier in the week and has also resulted in the edit functions disappearing from the n-serve app. I think that I’m going to have to contact Naim and ask for help from their tech people.

Ok well let me type the magic name @Stevesky who is the key man at Naim and experience shows that when a Unitiserve is completely stuck, then he can often dial in and sort it out. He will pick up the problem from this posting if he is willing…

But you might want to first try enabling SMB1 on your Windows 10 PC. It’s easy to do and then your PC should be able to talk to your Unitiserve OK. Steve may need you to do that before he can help anyway.

Best

David

Thank you both for your kind help. I tried updating my US without success, I believe that this is due to ripping cds stuck in the queue. In the past I have gone into my computer, readynas files and have deleted the problem discs out but my computer won’t allow access to these for some reason.
This all happened whilst I was ripping a disc earlier in the week and has also resulted in the edit functions disappearing from the n-serve app. I think that I’m going to have to contact Naim and ask for help from their tech people.

Sorry I should have said. The SMB1 is enabled on my computer.
Paul.

Ok well let’s wait for Steve to come along…

Best

David

I think it’s best if I try to contact Naim tomorrow.
Many thanks-Paul.

Paul

Keep an eye on this thread because Stevesky is the man at Naim who knows about Unitiserve and normally he responds to postings here which ask for his help (but it’s Sunday evening so he may not today).

Good luck

Best

David

If you rip CDs on the Unitiserve, you should never modify them via a computer using a non-Naim interface. You can do this in the Downloads folder, but not in the Music/MQ folders, as this can break the database.

1 Like