Update NAC-N 272 rumors

I expect that the sales of the 272 were well below those of the latest Uniti’s though.

…yes but with the trend back to vinyl, it means 2 additional tiers are more often being taken up on a Fraim stack with TT’s and phono stages, which makes a good quality streaming pre-amp, in a single box, that technologically gets closer to separates performance, more desirable for keeping to a single stack hifi footprint. On a standard 6 tier Fraim you could have; TT/Phono Stage/272 V2/Any PS/NAP250DR or NAP300DR.

Its a powerful argument for those that desire high end quality hi-fi on a minimal footprint. I suspect an increasing pent up demand of new Naimee’s with Uniti’s sat on their sideboards that would like to move forward but (perhaps pressured by spouses) dread the thought of multiple Fraim’s and spaghetti taking over their living rooms…

2 Likes

Well there’s now one less sale, I’ve moved on.

I wouldnt worry, you’ve moved on to a much better solution, I know from experience that the 252 is a stunning preamp. Not everyone has the same criteria…

2 Likes

I’m not worried but I loved my 272 and tbh probably would have been happy with its replacement.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see what happens next, for sure. Atom Headphone was ready to go a year ago, one wonders what has occurred between May 2020 and now. Sadly I’m no longer in the fold, as it was exciting to hear what was afoot internally. Though the information didn’t flow freely, it was more a case of “can you create a new part number in the system for the atom headphone please?” oh so there’s a new component coming, then? And that was end of 2019.
So next one, full width, more analogue inputs, DIN sockets, bigger box means more mechanical isolation “stuff”, bigger psu opportunities etc. But hopefully classic and not uniti, volume control on the front panel please.

2 Likes

I just called to book an NDX2 demo, only to find the Naim distributor here has precisely zero NDX2’s available and is unsure when the next shipment is due.

Upgrading can be a tough game at times :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Maybe a good time to sit back and appreciate what one has…

1 Like

I gave up and got a ND555 and a 552 :grinning: :upside_down_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

Some thoughts for a new 272:

Volume control on front… definitely!

Please have two preamp outputs (as on 272) BUT switchable on the app! Some of us have odd setups: two amp/speaker setups in one room, “analogue” “multiroom” setups, external headphone amps etc. The new series streamers have this idea for picking the desired output (e.g. selectable DIN, RCA, DIN+RCA, Digital).

Trigger output! The streaming preamp is going to be outputting to either power amp(s) or active speakers, and I think the green issues can’t be ignored any longer.

DSP / room correction: I know this is a touchy subject in these parts. I think having the capability available if the preamp is all-digital and the DSP capacity is there could be good. Roon has certainly broken the “taboo” on this. The reality is that the Uniti & 272 are likely to show up in less-than-perfect rooms. (Maybe take the approach of Devialet and offer a parametric EQ or that of NAD where DIRAC is available but doesn’t appear unless configured.)

1 Like

Currently, the whole factory is occupied by assembling Atom Headphone Editions :wink:

3 Likes

I did the same upgrade adding a 252 into my 272 set up. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the uplift.

1 Like

Oh, yes please!

I suspect that you are right on this topic, although I concur, DSP has been very helpful for me, and I am currently contemplating a custom PC based streamer which can handle DSP and multiple DACs for active speaker implementation.

Sadly for me such a system is unlikely to make use of Naim amplification on the grounds of cost and space.

…my wet dream :heart_eyes:

I hardly think there ever will be a N272 mk2
but a Nova HE next seem more likely.
Will they provide new or revised poweramps to match design ?

2 Likes

How did you find the combo against the 272?

I’ve not heard them yet, I get them tomorrow. I’m hoping for an improvement but by how much I’m not sure. The 272/250/XPS dr has been a wonderful combo and if anyone was thinking of picking up a cheap 272 I would highly recommend it.

2 Likes

It will sound great Pete, enjoy.:+1:

2 Likes

I’m hoping so @Gazza I’ll post my thoughts tomorrow afternoon (our time). I’ve already got the albums lined up that I intend to use a my test.

3 Likes