Update NAC-N 272 rumors

I thought so as well beginning of the week - but if the product is more pre-amp focused than headphone focused, and they want to couple it with their higher end power amps… then I guess they could want to open up towards external power supplies or similar - then it could not be a “Nova XYZ”, since that range is reserved “1 box solutions”.
I briefly thought of a “NDX2 PrAE” (Pre-Amp Edition); but then again those are obvious the “streamer only” products. Or they just do, as they like.

(Should we have a naming challenge and bets on those? :smiley: )

Note, one argument for the “Atom + headphone” combination was the small size, which makes it easier to place it close to a comfortable sitting place.

1 Like

I wish for you at least a similar experience I had when moving from 272/250dr to Nd5xs2/252/scdr/250dr. The only regret being why not having made the move earlier. Enjoy!

Here’s hoping but I’ve always found with Naim the further you go up the food chain the better it gets (and rightly so).

2 Likes

I think you mean 252 not 272 in your upgrade as that’s what it says in your profile.

1 Like

Oops

1 Like

I knew what you meant. :+1:

1 Like

It was probably just envy that made me check :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Envy not, I have no headphones out :sunglasses:

Yes it’s a bit of a problem, I don’t use my headphones much but it was nice to know I could. I’ve looked at iFi Can as a cheap option. They get great reviews.

Lovely. I am thinking about a pre loved Beyerdynamic A20 to solve as a more affordable option for occasional use.

Any 272 v2 would need to be very impressive to successfully take that combination on. Unless you’re obsessed with box count, I’d think you are in an excellent place! My 282/250/NDX2 is so good.

4 Likes

If you are using Roon you don’t need the streamer. Spend all your NDX2 money on a DAC and a Raspberry Pi with hat for your Roon endpoint. Recently sold my NDX and now have much better interface and better SQ.

Moi aussi.

1 Like

If you don’t mind the box count it’s a great amp. I’ve had a 252 and I’m not interested in accumulating boxes again so I’m holding out for a 272 replacement. I’ll be happy with a 555PS/272/250DR and hopefully by the time I get a 555 the 272 replacement will be out.

3 Likes

Tbh I didn’t want 6 plus boxes either. I loved my 272 but wanted to update my streamer/DAC and as I’ve just retired needed to do it sooner rather than later. I gave up waiting on a replacement 272, the 252/NDX2 are a completely different animal and a great combo. I love how it sounds. Can’t tell you which was responsible for the jump in SQ though.

2 Likes

Indeed, while I feel the 252/NDX2 is better it is a hell of a lot more expensive too. I’ve said it before that I feel the 272 was the best value product in Naims line up the replacement had a lot to live up to.

1 Like

Similar predicament here (less the retirement piece). I ideally don’t want to increase box count.

I’ve now gotten way too deep into the rabbit hole by looking at a different Roon transport (like a Mac mini) into a high end DAC like the Hugo TT2. I like this idea because ideally the DAC can outlive the streaming tech which tends to have a shorter lifespan. I worry that either a 272 replacement or NDX 2 will have a short lifespan - I’ve only had my current 272 for about 6 years, which feels short in hifi terms. Decisions, decisions…

I’ve spent the last 25 years worrying about updates. :grin:

I really didn’t want to increase my box count either, it’s just I’ve had an opportunity to upgrade that I mightn’t get again. I’ve gone from 3 to 6 boxes (not counting my Unitiserve which I’ve moved), I’ve already got members suggesting I trade my 250 on a 300, which would make a 7 stack or 2 stacks. Surprisingly no one mentioned swapping my XPS for a PS555.

It is indeed a rabbit hole.

1 Like

A fishy one at that……

2 Likes

I tend to think that the new streaming platform is pretty evolved and don’t worry Bakst it becoming outdated. At the end of the day, they sound wonderful and it’s basically picking up an internet stream, so it doesn’t feel like there is much room for improvement. The functionality can still go along way through firmware updates.

1 Like