Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

No, not a push. See my post further up from yours about my 52/sc and an xps being done in one day while I waited.

2 Likes

I’m in no rush. Flat out at work. The 52 sounds excellent. But will get 3 boxes done in a day will stay in hotel the night before.

Its got the POTS 8 upgrade. Will speak to Darran soon.

3 Likes

If it’s only 10 years old I wouldn’t be in any rush to get the pre done. The Supercap is a different story though. I was recommended 10-12 for Supercap and 15 for NAC52.

1 Like

The Supercap 2 is 2012 and Naim recommend 12 to 15 years for black boxes. So probably doesn’t need doing as such. But will probably sound better all recapped.

1 Like

I would follow his advice… :thinking:

This is the official Naim line -

I had an XPS2 serviced before and sold it. I had CDS3 and XPS2 at the time. Got the XPS2 serviced and when I got it back it sounded no different. But it was done. I guess alot of it is peace of mind as well.

I think sometimes it can make a big difference if caps are on the way out. If caps are good then it may not sound any different.

I may as well get the three boxes done at same time.

3 Likes

Here’s a fun tune.

If you give this a spin on the NDS, please let me know how it sounds in your new system. :grinning:

1 Like

Even if Dan hasn’t tried it yet, I thought I’d check it out (Qobuz 16/44.1 FLAC). It’s always fun to have a listen to other people’s recommendations. I found it certainly has a very realistic piano sound and ‘dry’ bass.

1 Like

Love reading a good upgrade thread

Bet Dan’s post upgrade glow is pretty strong right now :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m loving the system. I have asked Darran for some advice. He has the serial numbers of my kit and am waiting for the advice on whether to get them serviced or not.

5 Likes

Darran has the service details of my three boxes due for service so we will discuss this during the week. Be good to get his advice and take if from there. Quite keen to get the Supercap 2 and 52 serviced. There is possibility that I may want to upgrade the XPS2 at some point, although this is probably what most needs a service being 2006.

2 Likes

Servicing the SCap & the 52 will benefit the whole system.

The XPS could wait a bit… :thinking:
(its at +17 years, out of 15)

2 Likes

Yes but may want an XPSDR or 555PS on it. So servicing it could be a waste of money. I had a CDS3 and XPS2 and serviced it and then sold it on. You dont get back your money on servicing mid range kit.

Just spoke to Darran. So we are looking at servicing 12 to 15 years 52, 10 years on Supercap 2. Will get them done with XPS2 (which is cheaper to service than other units) in early September.

4 Likes

Great move @Dan_M. I did the same and had all my Naim boxes serviced by Darran a couple of years ago. My CDS2 failed recently, but lucky for me Naim fixed it and serviced it while they were in there. So all my Naim boxes are early into their service windows. It a lovely place to be, knowing you have done your best to get the best out of our beloved boxes. You won’t regret this move at all.

Hope you’re enjoying the music as is, in the meanwhile.

2 Likes

Hi Graeme, I previously had my 82 and 2 x 135s serviced. So getting the other 3 boxes serviced will keep things in a good place.

Although the 52 doesn’t need doing yet it will keep me going for another 10 years.

I am going up there and will take about 6 hours to complete unless there are any issues, which Darran said would be unlikely.

2 Likes

Is that 12-15yrs for the 52? If so that’s great news for me, I was expecting 10yrs which gives me another 5-10yrs left on my 52. :grinning:. That means I only need to get the 52PS done in 3yrs which is not too bad. My 135s have got a good 5yrs in them yet.

Just had my 52 and SuperCap serviced by Naim and thoroughly enjoying the uplift in the quality of sound and enjoyment. Thinking now about trying out some KS1 loudspeaker cables to finesse the sound. Spoke to Wayne at Cymbiosis and am arranging a loan of a set of cables.

1 Like

No.

Here is the official Naim line (again).

YMMV… by your own choice, at your own risk.