Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

A 555PS will really improve the NDS. But it’s costly. I like the fact that you have rebuilt the Kelidhs. And they will be so much more enjoyable knowing you have done the work to improve them.

1 Like

It will get better as it warms up a few days and will be spectacular after you service it. Enjoy!

1 Like

I had 52/sc/xps serviced and Pots 8 on 52 all done while I waited. Dropped them in to Darren first thing in the morning and they were ready to take home by mid afternoon. I was listening to it all that evening.

I had however phoned Darren and arranged all this about a month before going up there. So call him now, discuss your needs and arrange a mutually agreeable date. Worth noting, if your 52 requires Pots8 upgrade, this is not included in the service price.

3 Likes

As an aside, it’s interesting how much an improvement Dan has made to the sound by investing in a superior pair of speakers, rather than “source first”, although the 52 is nearer the source end.

Not that I could afford it, but I never subscribed to the maximum source/minimal amplifier and speakers extreme view.

As ever, it’s a matter of balance…

2 Likes

The Nac 82/SC is very good,the 52’s I have had has been a side step,more “hifi” but not more enjoyable.
It’s the 552 that is the big upgrade, in my opinion.

What does the 552 need to work well with?

Naim Fraim

Source, power amp and speakers.

1 Like

I was wondering what the range of specific components is that it plays well with.

But on reflection, it’s probably not a question that has a simple answer.

Apologies for thread drift.

Err…no it doesn’t. Capacitors simply age from when they were made. Power on or off, makes no difference. Apparently… :thinking:

Darran has done a HiCap and a 140 for me, in one day. So 2 ‘small’ boxes. Three ‘big’ boxes might be a push…?

Personally, I have found that there is a simple answer - my 552 has worked wonderfully and symbiotically with everything I have ever used it with, from a Nap 90 and ancient Rega Planet CDP to much more expensive and perhaps more predictable kit (NDS/500/Klimax/LP12 etc).

2 Likes

On off cause more stress and shorten lifespan of capacitors vs keeping them always on.

1 Like

No, not a push. See my post further up from yours about my 52/sc and an xps being done in one day while I waited.

2 Likes

I’m in no rush. Flat out at work. The 52 sounds excellent. But will get 3 boxes done in a day will stay in hotel the night before.

Its got the POTS 8 upgrade. Will speak to Darran soon.

3 Likes

If it’s only 10 years old I wouldn’t be in any rush to get the pre done. The Supercap is a different story though. I was recommended 10-12 for Supercap and 15 for NAC52.

1 Like

The Supercap 2 is 2012 and Naim recommend 12 to 15 years for black boxes. So probably doesn’t need doing as such. But will probably sound better all recapped.

1 Like

I would follow his advice… :thinking:

This is the official Naim line -

I had an XPS2 serviced before and sold it. I had CDS3 and XPS2 at the time. Got the XPS2 serviced and when I got it back it sounded no different. But it was done. I guess alot of it is peace of mind as well.

I think sometimes it can make a big difference if caps are on the way out. If caps are good then it may not sound any different.

I may as well get the three boxes done at same time.

3 Likes