Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

I believe the wireworld matrix 2 is star earthed and was at one point the go to for Naim systems. I think I’ll let things be for now. Having the amps plugged directly into the mains is also recommended by some.

Anyway, details, details, details.

The big thing is the 52 now and the rest is minor stuff that I can live without.

3 Likes

In which case, I’d agree with the first bit and sorry about the distraction.

As for the second bit about the 52 being rather more important anyway, yes absolutely.

I hope it sounds as great to you as you envisage - you deserve it.

2 Likes

You really ought to try a Hydra before spending a lot of money on five more Powerlines!

I think that Grahams HiFi used to offer them on a sale or return basis, but you would need to check with them - must be worth a phone call.

3 Likes

I reckon what I have is good enough. The Chord purple cables are expensive new. All the cables are top notch, but not powerlines.

This is something that can be experimented with at later date. The powerline has tidied things up as I had a massive HB labs cable going from the mains to the block, now it goes from block to 555PS. Looks neater and more unified. Can’t say it sounds much different tbf. But I am happy with it.

2 Likes

Dan, don’t sell the 82 until the 52 is serviced.
Then u won’t be without music when 52 is away
You’re a lucky guy!
David

2 Likes

I would go further and suggest keeping the 82 if possible. Backup in case the 52 needs attention, and it’s fun to swap things around occasionally. Just in case Dan forgets how good his forthcoming 52 is. I kept my 102 and 82 for these reasons.

4 Likes

Yep, I reckon it’s time to stow the wallet, put some music on and lose yourself in it.

2 Likes

Got the 52. All set up and playing a CD. Sounds great out of the box. Immaculate condition.

12 Likes

I’ve got my 15 year old son staying with me at moment for next few weeks and we both noticed the difference with the 52. Slightly wider soundstage. Bass deeper, wider frequency range. Not as big uograde as the speakers but very very good.

I think I am done for some time now. On amps and speakers anyhow. It works.

Still think a Radikal and Urika are on the cards further down the line. I love my vinyl and to have LP12 up to higher spec makes sense. Ekos 2 as well. It will also get rid of the two small boxes on the right stack of the Fraim.

For now going to enjoy my wonderful system. It is absolutely epic.

5 Likes

I noticed the buttons stick out a few mm more on the 52. The box is browner than my CDS2 but it looks cool.

2 Likes

Yes my 52 is a little browner than my 135’s/scap/cdx. Doesn’t bother me as they’re in a cupboard and not on show!

1 Like

Lovely set up you have @Blackstar with all Olive and SBLs. Mines a mix and match of three generations of Naim gear. Not really feeling it with latest stuff for my system tbh.

It’s not unlike yours! No, not bothered about ‘upgrading’ to classic or NC. At the end of the day they all play music and the olives do that in a wonderful way according to my ears.

3 Likes

As I feel a little guilty at having encouraged you to spend more, I decided to do the same to make me feel better. As a result I’ve ordered a set of 4 Monacor drivers for my Keilidhs. I recently upgraded the tweeters and recapped the crossovers to great effect and have been putting off the monacors for a bit. There, I’ve done it now. Really hope you enjoy the 52. I think the recap will take it to another level.

2 Likes

:joy: I love that rationale.

2 Likes

Tbh, it sounds box fresh. Can’t fault the amp. Lights illuminate perfectly. It’s immaculate and sounds perfect.

I will get it serviced in a few months time. I just want to live with it now.

Noticing subtle changes and improvements. It doesn’t have a massive wow factor like the speaker upgrade. It’s more of a distinct but 10% incremental improvement, whereas speakers were 30% improvement.

It’s all sounding very special.

1 Like

I had Linn Kelidhs and found them very musical soeakers. The upgrades aound fantastic.

I don’t think my 52 had ever been serviced before I bought it. I’ve not checked with Naim but when I received it, it sounded uninspiring and I was a bit worried. It was 25 years old. When it came back from Darran after a service of both the pre and 52PS I was blown away. I would say with much confidence that there is more to come. Long live this thread :wink:

2 Likes

Mine was serviced 10 years ago, so it’s on the line for servicing. Depends how much its been used. Right now I don’t want to be separated feom it. My Suoercao 2 is 2012 and XPS2 probably needs a service. So that’s 3 boxes for Class A. Maybe I will take a trip up there and see if he can do them all in the same day.

2 Likes

Yep, I retired 2 years ago at 55 and have tried to be be careful with the old tax free lump sums. I treated myself to an NDS at a bargain £1800 and funded an XPS for it via eBay sales. The Keilidh upgrades have cost £590 in total which compared to a new pair of speakers to better them seems an incredible bargain. I’m handy with a soldering iron so save a lot on labour :grinning:. I’m done now. Next step in a few years will probably be a downsize to a pair of Dynaudio Focus 30 active/smarts but that all depend one whether my wife can get early retirement so we can sell up and move to France. If that pipe dream never happens I’m stuck with the 52/135s. It’s a hard life.

2 Likes