Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

If you didn’t have the 555 on the NDS before than that will also be providing extra goodness

1 Like

Yeah, I think I’ve got carried away at times :flushed:. Still, it should see me out system wise and it saved an extra shelf and box……

1 Like

Yep you’ve joined my club Mike

Too many naim pieces , luckily at this stage they are over 2 places

Heaven knows what I’ll do if one day I’m in one place or even worse one room in a nursing home :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

The 555PS has always been on NDS. It’s all bedding in well now as had on low volume last night.

1 Like

One room in nursing home would be a Nova :sunglasses:

No thanks Dan

Haven’t tried the nursing home yet but did try the Nova a few years ago

Certainly not for me

That’s great! Fighting with just getting music played is a nogo of course so I’m glad you have removed that problem :slight_smile: And Qobuz itself is a pretty big difference compared to Tidal and a huge difference compared to Spotify.

Happy listening!

1 Like

I went through everything with NDS trying Tidal subscriptions. Spoke to internet provider. Changed settings on router. All my other stuff worked fine apart from Naim kit. The NAS drive was so slow connecting to NDS. I never gave up on NDS because sound quality is so good.

And now with ND5XS2 as streaming transport the functionality is amazing and what it always should have been. I wasn’t up for workarounds and using laptops, or whatever else.

Look it’s cost a fortune with new Fraim stack, DC1 cable and ND5XS2 purchase. But I can always sell stuff on later on if I ever reduce box count. But for me, right here, right now this has worked superbly and gives me the music I want, the sound quality and functionality.

The ND5XS2 bare is nowhere close to using the NDS with 555PS as DAC. It sounds very good but doesn’t have depth of NDS.

Time will tell but I think 3 box streamer is a keeper for me. I love it. And of course it gives flexibility to change DAC and streaming transport in future.

Streaming transports seem to change and better technologies come along. So separating DAC and streaming transport isn’t a bad way to go.

6 Likes

Dan,
I’m sure the NDS is a good machine but possibly from a software point of view it was not advanced enough. One reason why I never entertained Naim streamers was because of the software which is very important from a user point of view
The new generation software Naim is obviously better which is confirmed by your recent experiences
Anyway good that you get a good sonic result as well as the user interactive aspects which are very important for the whole streaming experience

2 Likes

Hey @Dan_M, I don’t remember, did you demo your new speakers first, and in your room, before you took the plunge with them?

I feel a complete failure, because I don’t think that I have ever caused the fans of my NAP135s to switch on in over 30 years’ ownership.

I think that I’m listening to the ‘wrong’ music, and that I need to get some heavy vinyl slabs of dub step, and some drum n’ bass!

1 Like

Hey Mike,

I listened to them at dealers before I bought them. I had planned on buying them blind but on day of purchase I was able to listen to them but with a non Naim system.

1 Like

But Graham, it’s not too late. You can remedy that!

And I could also stuff matchsticks into my ears until they bleed - which would achieve a broadly similar result!

1 Like

That’s quite brave. There’s a pair of my dream speakers here at the moment for sale - second hand and mint condition. But I’m not sure whether they will overload my room, so it would be a bit risky. Usually with my dealer it would be buy subject to trying at home.

1 Like

What are your dream speakers?

1 Like

I am very happy with the Sopra 2s. They were even better than expected. Lots of delighted owners out there.

1 Like

The Totem Element Metal V2, their top of the range floor standers. I have the Totem Forest Signatures at the moment and can’t fault them. They’ve been run from my Novs through to the 552/300 DR’s.

1 Like

If you have the funds then get them. You only live once.

1 Like

I doubt that stuffing matchsticks in your ears will make the fans come on on your NAP135s!

2 Likes