Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Dan, if your question was for me, I have my dream 'speakers - stacked QUAD ESL57s (plus a third pair for rear sound in the room). In terms of clarity, the best loudspeakers ever made, bar none!

1 Like

Snap, and some members complain about hearing loss! :rofl:

Indeed, but Iā€™m not sure whether they will put too much energy into the room without a home trial.

1 Like

See if they can do that for you. I am sure once in they wonā€™t be going back!

I bought our current speakers on a whim via a private sale. Listened to them in the sellers home and thought that Neatā€™s reputation c Naim was reasonably sound - and bought them on that basis. Since then whilst I find them ā€˜OKā€™ they donā€™t give me a thrill. Iā€™ve always had the nagging thought that theyā€™re a place-holder choice until I get some Titansā€¦

2 Likes

Now at a point when Lp12 needs attention. Listening to it this evening.

Very enjoyable. Spoken to dealers about Karousel bearing and possibly going Radikal.

I am looking at used Radikal 1s for starters. Couple out there for Ā£1700 to Ā£1900. If I did that would get used Urika for less than Ā£1000.

No ready yet. Karousel seems to be a massive improvement at not a big cost.

Just thinking about it at moment. Let mw know thoughts and views on Karousel.

And I do want messages saying you have done enough Dan.

This is a future project. Not here and now!

Best to save up and get them all done at once instead of getting TT packed up and dismantled numerous times.

Especially if you travel to somewhere near Leicester to get the work done :wink:

1 Like

It would also give you time to find the bits second hand at good prices.

Audio T Brighton can do all the works! :grin:

I very much enjoyed my road trips getting 52 , Supercap 2 and XPS2 serviced, and picking up Focal Sopra 2s. Itā€™s all been a great process.

System sounding awesome. Listening to Lp12 and it sounds very very good.

1 Like

They can but I doubt theyā€™d be as good as the person (expert) near Leicester.

1 Like

Mmmm. Let me think :thinking: Cymbiosis?

1 Like

Save up and go straight for Radikal 2. It simply outclasses the 1 in every department.

Karousel is the obvious first choice. Biggest bang for buck.

Keel handily surpasses the Kore, but the Kore is still good.

1 Like

How you getting on with new Keel Graeme?

Gobsmacked!!

1 Like

Thatā€™s amazing news!

Iā€™ve been a bit sceptical about how each upgrade can improve the deck, but they do and in spades. The differences are obvious to hear. They all reduce the noise floor, and improve the usual hifi things - soundstage, separation, etc. Itā€™s been a revelation to me.

1 Like

This is the thing Graeme. When I upgrade a source, having multiple sources I compare the other sources.

So my NDS with 555PS has now got an upgrade with ND5XS2 using latest streaming platform. All good.

While NDS was on holiday having new screen fitted I used 555PS on CDS2. Wow it sounds so much better. Get one Graeme. See if they can do it in Olive box! There maybe someone who can do that!

And now LP12 sounds great with Cirkus Kore Lingo 1 and upgraded tonearm by Audio Origami with new silver wiring and multiple upgrades.

The radikal 2 in Klimax casing is Ā£7k. An older radikal 1 akurate can be had for Ā£1700. Do I wait or get something as interim?

I donā€™t have the funds to shell out Ā£10k or more on turntable upgrades. And tbh, would consider a preloved one with all the upgrades on it at these prices.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a highly regarded LP12 guru in York. Not decrying PS but other talents are available :wink:

3 Likes

Radikal 2 in Akurate case is Ā£4500ish new.

I also compare my deck to my CDSii, and it is now better. Actually, itā€™s different, but I now prefer the deck to the cd player.
Iā€™ve thought about upgrading the PSU for CDSii but Iā€™m concentrating on the deck for now. I also agreed with Mrs G that when she retired I would stop upgrading the Naim stuff. She did however understand I would continue to upgrade the deck. Mrs G is now retired.

Audio T Brighton are very very good. My LP12 was set up by them with service, Lingo 1.and Kore.

I am thinking this Radikal 1, Urika, new MC cart and Karousel. That will do for starters. More than enough. And just get Karousel done to start with and see how it goes. Have just spent well over Ā£15k on hifi gear, servicing, cables, etc. Need to get bank reserves up somewhat.

Then maybe later Radikal 2 Klimax, machined, Keel and Ekos SE.

2 Likes