Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Look a little closer, there are a difference.

Never tried that :wink:

I would say the other way round ha :crazy_face:

Sure,if you think it sounds better then it is better for you.

Just to complicate matters, having found the right side, you can then decide which direction sounds better.
I am sure there was also a double check, take the belt off, hang it over something narrow like the edge of a ruler. The belt hangs with a slightly different curve depending which side is in. Peter Swain @Cymbiosis kindly marked the outside for me, but said to listen to establish which direction. Iā€™ve scanned the setup files from his website, but I didnā€™t find anything about the belt.
Of course, once you have that sorted, then you can try clocking the platter, you can find the instructions on the Collaro website. That is a some say it works, some say it doesnā€™t. I found it more obvious when I had a Lingo 4 than with the A Radikal 1.

1 Like

I feel Iā€™m back to square one as to what to do with this darn LP12 :smile:

1 Like

Ha - just enjoy it as it is Mike for some time

You will sort it out

2 Likes

Add a little bit more weight to the cartridge tracking force, and see how you get on

1 Like

Me? Itā€™s at 1.75, top of the recommended range of 1.25 to 1.75, thought it was at 2.00 when I bought it. Will in sit down more for a bit more cohesion?

As said try adding a bit more above the max.
I could never get my exquisite ST cartridge to rully click, i added a slight bit more weight to it and it all came good.
Certainly worth a go and if nothing changes go back to what it was

1 Like

Okay but back in ā€˜85 Ariston80/Rotel/ Heybrook bought record (occasional one went back), swept with brush, every few plays cleaned stylus, end of, sounded great :sunglasses:

1 Like

Iā€™d love to be that guy but being a nerd, borderline hoarder, always thinking about improvements in combination with vinyl records and turntables is exhausting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I donā€™t know who you talked, to but please put the smooth side in contact with the pulley, not the rough side as the smoother side will give a better sound.
Also the newest belts are super smooth and much better than before. If the deck is well set up you will hear a benefit. If not well set up then possibly not.
Once inside and outside are determined, turn the belt end on end (not inside out) to determine which way (direction of rotation) the belt runs on the pulley, sounds better. Itā€™s a small but worthwhile difference again but not as big as with matting with the standard felt mat. If its a Collaro, donā€™t bother as being woven rather than pressed they sound the same either way up.
KR

Peter

11 Likes

Oops I reread the quote and yes I said it incorrectly in the first place

Apologies to all

3 Likes

Out of interest I tried out the belt with the rough side on the inner and there was a noticeable deterioration. The up/down switch also identified the best orientation.

Turns out I had the orientation wrong ! There seems to be additional richness in the sound when you get it right.

2 Likes

The set up guide is as itā€™s titleā€¦A brief guideā€¦ Yes there are 25,000 words and 100 photographs. The guide is there to help those who wish to DIY or they live a long way from their retailer and need to do some work themselves. The guide helps. However as you have found out, there are a number of things which I prefer to discuss and show people when they visit. Iā€™m am very sure other retailers whether Linn or Naim do likewise. There is no substitute for showing people face to face IMHO whether it be Fraim set up, cable dressing or LP12 set up etc. Lots of little things make a difference, they are cumulative in effect, they all add up. But only if the basic set up is good in the first place. If itā€™s not, then some of the suggestions may not be audible. Some report cable dressing has made no effect for exampleā€¦ Oh dear as it should! The old nugget; the standard LP12 mat is sidedā€¦ but if the LP12 or system set up is poor, you may not hear the difference and itā€™s not that the difference does not exist (Snake oil etc).
Just my 2p worthā€¦
KR,

Peter

12 Likes

No worries and thank you for your correction :+1: :+1: :+1: Social media has many, many examples of well intentioned miss-information which then can spread, making it difficult to know right from wrong. Thankfully here, itā€™s not a common occurrence, as the Naim forum remains one of the very best information exchanges :slight_smile:
KR,

Peter

5 Likes

Best upgrade you could do would be a wall shelf.

1 Like

Your right R.K. I had a wall shelf previously and have changed the stacking to 3 Fraim racks on side of room. Would have to get another wall shelf, as previous one was oak and doesnā€™t hang plumb over time. Itā€™s all possible and will definitely stop the problem.

Something to do in the new year!

1 Like