Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

That’s right. I have factored that in to the figures as shown in my post above.

I thought you were going to keep the 500 and use it when you moved ? Things change I guess.

That was the plan but I decided to let the 500 go, I’ll probably end up with active ATC50s with a high end Chord pre with DAVE / ND5XS2 as source, 5 to 3 boxes :grin:

1 Like

Lovely idea, reduce box count but get amazing active speakers. :grinning:

1 Like

Here’s another thought for you, a pair of NAP350s. There is a pair for sale on Pink Fish for £8,250. Virtually new, no servicing and no should I have got DR angst. Why not sell the Olive stuff privately, as you’ll get more? Taking it further, you could sell the CDS2, XPS, 52, Supercap, NDS, ND5XS2 and nDac and get a 333 and 332. Just have four boxes of amplifier and your TT. Maybe a step too far but think how much simpler it would be. If it’s too much I still think the 350s might be a good option.

I’ve heard the 500 many times and always enjoyed the 300 more. I’d take a 552/300 over a 52/500 any day.

3 Likes

Yes,

I had thought about that. That is going for 300 system and ditching the lot! So the 350s are on Pink Fish. What a come down in price so soon!

1 Like

To be honest HH, I think I prefer the sound of OC and Olive to the new stuff in mamy ways. I am not sure that it is better. And the 500 sounds better than 350s to me.

But the new kit is a new incarnation with a different sound signature. It is getting used to it. It sounds cleaner, more neutral and more modern but not sure it is better.

Obviously, it’s new. But is it as reliable or as well built? Sometimes newer stuff isn’t as well made. Made on a price and has the craftsmanship gone?

I am not saying it has but it’s a bit unknown and I am not 100% convinced as yet.

What did you enjoy about the 300 more. The amp isn’t in the same league surely?

Also don’t forget once a 500 has been dr’ed then only the case remains, so it’s only the power supply that would need a service, and not the actual amp. If it wasn’t done at the same time it was dr’ed.
To begin to even look at that ridiculous priced 500 non dr is silly, as you can find an excellent condition 500dr for not much more. Plus its a much better amp, and i mean much better.
Plus i wouldn’t gamble on getting a good price on your kit, as the market is crap right now, plus the dealer will want to make on it, as they have costs when they sell it, and even more costs if they sell using eBay.
So if you really want to change kit already, i would take a step back and think about it all, as i don’t think the 500 is going to stop you wanting to swap more boxes, in fact i see this as the start, and not the end.
There are so many other possible way’s to go, and i would certainly look at all options especially with the lp12 being your main goto source i believe?

Cheers dunc

2 Likes

I think your thoughts HH are good advice

Let me give you an example of old ( really old ) vs new but way down the ladder

I recently replaced my CB 32.5/hicap/250 and CB Nait 2 ( all serviced and in great condition ) with the new Nait 50 limited edition

For me a no brainer, the Nait 50 is excellent and for me I like the “new” sound

4 boxes down to 1 :+1:

1 Like

The 500 non DR is meant to be better than 300DR. And better than 6 x 135s.

It’s a match for what I have which is 52 Supercap.

It has many merits. Yes a 500DR is a better amp. As explained I was looking at part exchange for a reason. Time is money in my case. Time is of value and being without a system while I sell stuff and save up for 500DR is not an option.

My situation is mine. This is why I thought the 500 looked like it could be a good deal. Obviously price would be negotiated as would part exchange.

Let’s see what dealer says rather than jumping the gun and saying the deal will be no good.

Dealers want to offload kit and don’t always make big profits on gear. Sometimes clearing space is important and having old stock lying around is no good.

Deals can be had. And the 500 can be just that. It doesn’t need to be a 500DR. That could be bought another time. As can 552 and so on and so on.

As I am sure you know I dont necessarily have years to wait around for a 552DR, 500DR.

It could be now or never in my case!

So let’s see what happens and I will let you know if anything happens at all.

2 Likes

But maybe I prefer my system to 300. And prefer 500 to what I have!

I think you guys forget how good a 500 system or 52 135s are! I really don’t think a 333 bare is better than a 252 or 52 Supercap tbh. It’s different and very very good.

2 Likes

It looks to me that you have already talked yourself into dan, so hope all goes well mate.
I will stop giving any further advice on what i would do.

Cheers dunc

1 Like

Well Dan I’ve actually had the full 500 CD based system in another life ( all non DR)

It was rather good I must admit - for me the best bit was the CD555 - wish I’d kept that

552/500 was great but I don’t miss it really , time moves on , just where I was at at that time in my audio life. The 500 does give a bit of oomph to the music I must admit but it’s different , have you heard one ?

For me in my main system I now have the 252/SCDR/250DR and I’m happy with that

1 Like

I have similar experience and went from552DR/500 to 52/SC/135s and I don’t miss the 500 series at all. I have just collected my LP 12 from Cymbiosis with Karousel/Zeus and my Javelin/ XV1s and wow, what a front end. I can only say source first but you are entitled to Techno Notice as it is in my home along with my lively room.

FF

1 Like

FWIW my opinion is that the following is the upgrade path I’d follow if I were doing it incrementally. Obviously each step could be and end game in its own right. Including where I am now :blush:.
52/135
52/500
552/500
552dr/500dr (a big one admittedly)

I doubt I’ll ever go 552/500 based on my retirement income but it’s nice to think that I might given a lottery win or inheritance with no other priorities. The sting in the tail is that I’d just have to have a Klimax LP12 to go with it. Hey Ho! I’d keep the NDS though, but maybe DR the PS.

If you can do it @Dan_M without putting undue pressure on finances then I’m with you on this one. My only advice would be to pick the level you really want to be at and stick to it. This is the approach I have taken and it’s been hard but ultimately really satisfying. I am rubbish at describing what I hear, but I’m much better at describing how I feel when listening to my system and what I feel today is truly amazing. Thinking for you though, a 52/500 non dr would be something I would love to hear and after doing so I would probably weaken in my current endgame resolve.

Look forward to hearing how this pans out and whatever you choose, it’s your choice. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Bevo,

Yes I have heard 552 DR 500DR LP12 Klimax and liked it immensely.

The 252 Supercap DR with 500DR with NDX2 also sounded pretty good.

Now looking at 500DR instead elsewhere. Think that the dealer I was looking at have it way overpriced for non DR 500.

I think @Dunc is on the money with this topic. A 500DR can be had for £7000. Maybe look at getting that first then sell off my other stuff.

No mate. Think I am taking more your advice on 500DR.

Thanks @Paul52135. It’s great advice and a well thought out plan. My end game system has always been 552DR with 500DR.

First step is 500DR. A non DR 500 with no service is not going to work with end game. It will end up being sold cheaper than what I bought it for at the dealers prices.

So looks like to start with 52 Supercap 2 with 500DR. No doubt an interesting combination with the interim 52.

I agree with you about LP12. A Radikal is on cards for me as well.

Let’s see what happens on 500DR front. I have my eye on something.

These things can take time to sort out. A bit of luck, the right deal and waiting things out.

My Lp12 is sounding amazing listening to it right now. The cart, tonearm and phonostage have really taken it to a totally different level. It’s had Trampolin 2 and Karousel maybe they add something or mayne not. Doesn’t really matter it sounds great.

A Keel is meant to be a massive upgrade as well. At the time there was a review saying it was bigger uograde than Ekos 2 to Ekos SE. Maybe you should add it to you list of things you want done Paul.

Getting the LP12 sounding great has made a massive difference to my music enjoyment.

1 Like