Upgrade advice needed, ND5 XS2 or Nova

That’s very useful info, Nigel, on paper they appear to be an easy load, my mistake. That also changes the whole thread. Would Atom HE with preloved 250 be an option then?

I’ve no idea about an Atom SE, but something like NDX2, 282 and 250 would be an appropriate match.

Yes I did wonder about the synergy with the xs3. Might be worth considering thanks

If you want to stay with a matched Naim component listen to the ND5XS2 and the NDX2 in to your amp in speakers. If you are curious also try an Auralic Aries G1. You may be surprised.

If he had said NDX2/XPS vs bare NDAC I might almost believe it.

3 Likes

I’m sure the PMCs are capable of more but they sound mighty good to me already. I think it’s been suggested spending around £15k which is frankly way off where I am at. NDX2, 282/250dr? Brilliant no doubt.

I think I’ll stick with trialing the xs2 and nova. Possibly an xs3. The Aurilac sounds interesting but it really bugs me they haven’t sorted out the Android side of things… I’ll definitely look at a service on the SN.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d love a NDX2 and 282/250 as well but alas just not feasible at the moment. Get your SN1 serviced and add a ND5 XS2 and you’ll have a very nice sounding system. Add a HiCap if possible and that will really get the best out of the SN1.

2 Likes

How would an NDX compare to the newer ND5xs2? I assume it won’t have Qubuz but sq wise I guess it would hold its own. It will be difficult to do a direct comparison of course.

The thing is, when either are in your home, you’re never going to be listening to them back to back. You’ll just be sat listening to great music through very good HiFi gear.

The NDX doesn’t sound bad, at all. It’s also c. 600-1000 GBP cheaper than a ND5 XS2 depending if you buy the latter second hand or new.

I listen to Qobuz on my UQ1, using BubbleUPnP. It is less of a faff with that device than the transport and Hugo process I was describing yesterday. And neither are really all that bad once you get used to it. The NDX should be completely fine fronting your NAS.

The early generation streamers do have Tidal integration, not Qobuz, but bubble etc addresses that gap

Why are you asking about the NDX? Tempted by one!? :slight_smile:

Edited to add, a Naim dealer might have a 2nd hand NDX to demo, they’re probably less likely to have a ND5 XS2 to demo it against!

works well for me! but it is a stepping stone to ndx2…

1 Like

Have a look at this thread for a discussion of old streaming platform vs new

2 Likes

Just reading all the threads really and I see the older streamer still seems to be highly regarded and as you say cheaper :grin:. In truth most of my listening would be via NAS anyway. I think your right about auditioning, my local dealer can’t get an XS2 for love not money at the moment.

just for clarity i have the newer nd5xs2 with the same streaming board as the ndx2, not the older nd5

3 Likes

Listening to a dealers advice is all well and good but wouldnt you be happier if they had offered you the chance to make up your own mind - by listening yourself.

2 Likes

You are of course welcome to your view but PMC say different:

“ Ease of drive - They are efficient and therefore can be driven by the vast majority of good quality amplifiers”

3 Likes

So what was naim’s sales director supposed to say; that the basic product with exactly the same transport combined with a renouned but discontinued Dac might sound better???

3 Likes

I’d expect honesty from Naim TBH. I did explain that my XPS was Olive and that also went in the NDX2’s favour, He also, following a chat, knew my Naim history and I expected not to get a bull**** answer.

Same transport? Have you misunderstood?

You quoted hungryhalibut who was referring to the NDX2 compared to an nd5XS2 with an nDac.

Your statement was indeed misleading if Naim’s sales director was not referring to this comparison.

The ndx2 and nd5 xs2 use the same transport module. The ndac uses the same burr brown Dac as the nd555 and cd555.

Good point elver

If naim are saying the nd5xs2 is more suited to one of their integrated Amps and NDX2 suited to pre/power combos, surely there is a gap in their streamer products - ndx2 vs nd555 - huge jump in price

I may well be in the market for a streamer in due course but no need at moment as such a lack of stock here in Australia I can’t compare anyway

3 Likes

I’m using an ND5XS as transport although I suspect that the XS2 as transport would only be a fairly small increase in SQ so the point still stands IMHO.

Although I’ll accept that what I said could have be misleading.

1 Like