Upgrade advice needed, ND5 XS2 or Nova

True, but as @Richard.Dane pointed out the NDX2 can be upgraded with two different power supplies

Indeed it can

Bit confusing really

I believe that the power supply upgrades for the ndx2 are designed for the dac section and are unlikely to effect the transport.

The same aim is achieved by adding a power supply to an external nDac, nds etc attached to an nd5 xs2 transport.

Thanks Richard

This might be silly question

I have cd5xs ( as transport) /nDAC/ XPS -2

Can I swap out the cd5xs for ND5xs2?

Any SQ benefit excluding convenience etc ?

1 Like

Or just add the ND5 XS2 via DC1 cable into the nDAC + PSU , as just another digital source

3 Likes

What rat rat said would be my suggestion.

I haven’t had a cd5xs but in a previous system I had a cdx2 into a sn1 both with Naim power supplies which was great. Present system is sn3 and nd5 xs2. The sn3 is great and the nd5 xs2 is fun with Apple Music via Airplay and comes on song with tidal. I have my cds ripped to a ssd attached to the usb on the nd5 xs2 and this is in turn is a step up on streaming tidal. I have recently subscribed to qobus and the sound quality to me is now at least on a par with my old cdx2 4 box system :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

And rat rat

50million dollar question

Better SQ over CD5XS?

No one is saying that :weary:

1 Like

Then there’s always the option that I took. Put all your eggs in one basket and get an NDX2 and pair it with a cheaper integrated, in my case, a Nait 5si. My little Nait arrived yesterday and the pair sounds really nice together! Much better than I expected. Very musical, and with a surprising amount of drive and punch! This will keep me going until I can save for a SuperNait over the next year.

5 Likes

Yes you can, or, as ratrat advises, just add it as an additional source to compare. I haven’t compared on SQ as transports so couldn’t say but you do get a very good streaming front end. However, if you do move away from spinning discs you may wish to consider trying an NDX2 with your XPS2.

I am surprised at how many members here trust quite blindly their dealer. If a dealer wants to loose money, he will say the Nd5xs2 with Ndac is better vs the Ndx2.
Of course, he will never say that, neither a Naim representative.

5 Likes

Hi Bevo

Try search for “If I were to order a nd5XS2”

Good range of opinions. Several posters feel sound quality is better with the new streamers running nas or qobus; this is my experience too.

1 Like

@Samwise - just checking in :slight_smile: Are you any closer to answering your question?

If it was me, and it is obviously budget dependent, I might see about holding out for second hand SN2 and ND5 XS2. That would be just over the £3k mark and think it would sound great. Second hand ND5 XS2s do turn up occasionally on auction sites, c. £1600 from what I’ve seen.

If SQ is really bothering you then the above but swapping the ND5 XS2 for a NDAC / streaming transport.

I suspect auditioning would answer the ease of use:SQ question between those two options.

2 Likes

If I had an ND5 XS2 I would happily provide some feedback. Alas, we don’t have one.

We do love our CD5 XS + nDAC very much and intend to keep it, for playing our CD collection. It’s definitely a keeper.

A Naim streamer is an option for the future. Given the components we already have, I suspect I would probably investigate using a ND5 XS2 as a transport, using it with the nDAC alongside our CD5 XS. (There is already enough said on this forum to indicate this might be a great option). But, that’s just a possibility for the future.

Also wish to say a couple of more general things promoted by this topic discussion. I completely trust my dealers knowledge and experience and always use the advice as a guide. However, I would always wish to find out a few things for myself and be sure I understood the difference between one thing and another. (Evidence based decision making).

We all hear things differently and arrive at separate decisions. Although I would expect an NDX2 to offer better sound quality compared to a ND5 XS2, for me, I would wish to know by how much and consider if that difference was worth the additional cost. In other words, there is also a relative cost consideration too.

Adding in a nDAC, I would also expect that difference to close a little. So, for me, the key question is what does that look (or sound) like? Personally, I would want to know all this for myself before making any decisions.

Just my “two pennies worth”.

For further reading on this specific set-up, there are a couple of other thread running currently. So it seems to be a popular topic at the moment.

In the meantime, FWIW, we’ve just ordered an Innuos server, (which also streams), for one of the rooms in our new house.

KR
R

2 Likes

I’ve only had two dealers (north west UK) and both have at several points over the last 30+ years suggested that I’d be better staying where I was despite me having money burning a hole in my pocket.

2 Likes

Hi gthack

Thanks for asking. It’s been fascinating reading all the options and opinions on here. I have no issue with being quality hi-fi second hand as if folks have invested a significant sun in it you can be pretty confident is well loved. My SN was second hand albeit from a dealer. I’m tracking a few items at the moment to get a feel for prices.

But I’m still going to audition a) Primare Prism with my existing chord 2Qute DSC and SN to get a kind of benchmark by adding a cheapish streamer b) try the ND5 xs2 to see the uplift in sq. As someone else mentioned there is a cost benefit factor here for me especially if buying new c) try the Nova to see the difference in sq.

I’m also waiting a response from Naim on servicing the SN.

Cheers

2 Likes

Alternatively, consider Darran at Class A in Sheffield, whom lots of members, myself included, speak of highly.

3 Likes

That all sounds very sensible indeed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sensible? Me?
Gosh. Thank you :blush:

4 Likes

I have a Mac Mini M1, to access stored music there do I connect the M1 to the Nova USB?

Sorry but your belief is wrong:

XPS DR

• Four isolated transformer windings with six low-noise DR power regulators - configured as two isolated regulators for digital at +15V, isolated +/-10V for DACs and isolated +/-23V for analogue stages

Each stage of the player has it’s own dedicated supply at their correct voltages.

1 Like