Upgrade cables or not?

I/m sure there have been many debates and threads on this subject but I’m still a little skeptical ans ‘on the wall’ regarding the benefits of mains cable upgrades. I’m really happy with my Nova and Neat Accoustics system but if upgrading to a full Powerline cable will eek a little more performance from it then it’s worth it. I haven’t got a power conditioner so would just be plugging straight to the wall so will actually make an audible difference? Has anyone any experience in the this? I’m still a little at a loss as to how this 2 metre cable at the end of a very very long mains cable (to get the juice to the wall socket) will make any difference? Opinions will be welcome.

1 Like

Covered many times and the consensus is that it works, for most. The difference is probably greater for kit that’s higher up the Naim hierarchy tbh. Plug straight into the wall socket.

Fwiw I bought one and soon added 2 more.

3 Likes

The benefit derives more from mechanical isolation, decoupling and superior clamping than any mysterious electrical properties. Enough people are happy to pronounce that it’s a worthy buy; treat it as a black-box upgrade in that it doesn’t matter how or why it works and just accept that it does.

3 Likes

The best way is to try for yourself. Can you ask your dealer to lend you one?

3 Likes

I’ve got one on order but it’s been over 2 months and still no delivery date so was thinking of cancelling the order, they have no stock unfortunately

1 Like

I started with an MCrU cable at £100 for my QB2 just to see what would happen and have since bought better/more expensive cables for everything. It improved things for me.

1 Like

Mains cable sceptic here.

I made a load of my own from belkin cable, a decent MK plug and a proper iec socket. OK, it was an £8 version of ebay. They were OK. Better than regular mains cable, don’t know. I even tried the powerline lites that I had. Can’t say it made a difference or not.

Then I bought a 4 way hydra for my HCDRs, napsc and xpsdr. Wow. Now that did make a difference in a positive way.

And recently added a couple of MCRU no85 cables for my power amp and power supply for my phono stage. Again, wow.
So yes, they can work.

1 Like

There are usually one or two available on a certain auction site. They usually go for £350 to £400. Less of a gamble buying used as you can usually sell on if you don’t like the result.

2 Likes

Might be a bit higher priced now if availability is scarce so could still be worth holding out…

@nasty I used a PL on a Nova. Good value upgrade imo. Probably made more difference than when I added one to a NAP300DR or XPSDR actually.

Btw if you are looking for a more HiFi sound then PL might not be for you. It refines the Nova rather than super charging it.

1 Like

I followed a suggestion on here about something called The Big Orange Lead and bought one for the Sky Q box, and saw an instant and very noticeable improvement in picture quality. Upgraded mains leads do work.

2 Likes

Probably a much better upgrade than a PowerLine is a dedicated mains feed. It probably costs a bit less too. It won’t look impressive but it’s a great foundation for the Nova and any upgrades that might follow.

8 Likes

Another vote for Grahams Hydra here. Though having just been bitten by the upgrade bug currently waiting on a new 4 headed hydra to replace my current 2 headed hydra! Something to try and consider if you go down that route.

3 Likes

My understanding is that the Hydra is designed for multi-box Naim systems. That’s certainly how I used mine. I believe it is specifically designed to support Naim’s star earthing, so I’m not sure it’s really appropriate for a one-box setup like a Nova.

Roger

1 Like

I think there is value in having shielded mains cable of some kind. One can experiment reasonably cheaply if you have the skills to make up your own before buying (preferably listening to first) more expensive offerings.

Personally, I have not really heard the benefit of putting hundreds of pounds of mains cable in the system but a simple shielding and cable and plugs that are good quality is worthwhile and can reduce noise especially if you have difficulty steering signal cables away from mains cables.

2 Likes

Naim presumably disagree, as none of their cables are screened including the £650 Powerline.

3 Likes

Mcru no 75 stunning in every way

6 Likes

There are many opinions on hifi equipment and although I like Naim kit I do not think they have exclusive rights to be the only correct way to do things.

As with anything in HiFi, it is worth listening to make up one’s own mind.

4 Likes

Powerlines will make a subtle but noticeable improvement in Naim components. At least in my Naim systems. These are not inexpensive however and there may be comparable products available for a better price.

4 Likes

I was looking at MCRU with interest, can I ask which Naim units you have these connected to?

Have it connected to cd player though being good in good out still comparing at the moment the results are very detailed

1 Like