Upgrade from 282 / HicapDR / NDS / 555DR

Great to see the history like that. Must have been a lot of fun with each step forward.

I agree the din to xlr is a bottle neck, was in my system. But i think witch hat Morgana will do the same for this system for a fraction of the cost of SL, and money back if not satisfied.

1 Like

Hmmm not the same. But definitely less expensive

I could not get SL to work for me, gave up on the third home demo.

Well these cables take very long time to run inā€¦but good to know Morgana is a viable alternative along with the chord din xlr offerings

Hi Gazza.
Out of curiosity how did you find them not to work?
ATB Peter

I really could not hear much of a difference. I tried the din to din source, not really much better than the hiline. Then borrowed the din to xlr as well as the din to dinā€¦not really much better. Then after trying tellurium q and true signal offerings, i had a full loom demo by my dealer which was better. I took the same full loom home and after 2 weeks, put my old interconnects back in and naca5ā€¦again i felt the SL was not delivering. These cables were run in.
I can only put this down to my room which is heavy curtains, carpets etcā€¦at a bit of a loss really.
So i then tried Kudos ks-1 instead of naca5, i liked it and it stayed. Then tried the new Witch hat Morgana din to din source and din to xlr, the latter was a big improvement over stock cablesā€¦this improvement i never heard with SL for whatever reason. I guess we are all listening for different things?

Why?

Thanks Gazza, pest me, but how does the Kudos speaker cable differ from Naca5 in your humble opinion? ATB Peter

Its more detailed in the mid range and bass, and a bit brighter which is helping in my room. I mostly listen of an evening we have a 16 foot window with heavy lined curtains which tends to damp things out.

1 Like

Once i had found a din to xlr that improved on the stock Naim cable was surprised at how much more of everything in my music was coming through my system. I kept both Morgana cables, but it was the din to xlr made the big improvement in SQ.

1 Like

I think that really hits the point ā€“ and thatā€™s why I find it sometimes slightly patronising when people implicitly if not explicitly get criticised (if not attacked) when they do not, for instance, consider SL cables the best thing since sliced breadā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Gazza, thank you very much for your break down. I might give it a listen actually :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

My dealer has demo sets available and a large cable drum, its pretty cheap at Ā£30 a metre.

1 Like

Have just bought a Supercap DR to replace the HCDR on my 282, so lets see how that goes.

G

6 Likes

Wow congratulations :+1: and I will wait your report

Eager for your assessment. Iā€™m running hicap/282/SN2 and thinking my next upgrade will either be a supercap or NAP 250. Cheers

1 Like

i used a fair amount of Angelo Saxon when when I put a SC on my 282

enjoy

1 Like

In a good way I hope!

G

prev had 282/HCDR/300DR, for me it really showā€™s what the 282 can offer as a Pre - just get the burndy and SNAIC dressed and wait for the music!