Upgrade HDX-DAC-XPS to NDS-555PS?

I would be looking at succession planning for the hdx as priority

1 Like

The 52 has no system automation so you cannot control its volume from the app. There is an optional digital volume control in the ND5XS2 which you could use instead but enabling it can affect sound quality.

If you want to stop (rather than pause) a stream you need to clear the play queue.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what I planned - but there is the decision to do it SQ wise (which I always feel to be first) or for latest tech.

I clearing queue is possible via App - thatā€™s fine. Had not found it for my current streamer (Qute and UnitiLite).
I think I will disable the digital control due to sound reasons.

You can clear the play queue, either during playback or after itā€™s finished, from within the Naim app when controlling any Naim streamer.

1 Like

FOUND IT - Thanks so much! Works as double tapping Stop on Remote

Hi,
similar setup = 52/135/SBL as well?
That would be interesting, as I felt in the past that olive and black does not always fit together (only my opinion with a superfine vs Prefix - and I am very alone with this impression :slight_smile: )

My black streamer, dac, supercap and 555DR sound sublime with olive 52 and 135s.

(Some people insist on their box fronts matching visually, but Iā€™m focussed on SQ).

3 Likes

so - on Saturday I will look for an ND5XS2.
The 555PS is currently parked as I have a full timetable and will have to find a matching oneā€¦

1 Like

I went from HDX/nDAC/555ps to NDS/555ps in 2015 and for me it was a significant upgradeā€¦ in all areas.

People seem to have mixed results with the success of the NDS - if Iā€™m honest I donā€™t know why, but I have found it is very sensitive to what you feed it (noisy Ethernet muddies the presentation, so you need to get the basics right I think). The various software updates over the years have also given varying results, but I think the latest has been by far the best. I now run mine with Roon via a bridge and the results are just sublime, so itā€™s going nowhere.

Wouldnā€™t suggest you buy one blind, but if you can get to try one, you might just find your bargain of the century!

Edit: just seen youā€™re running a 52 with 135ā€™s. I would expect the NDS to show the ND5 XS2 a clean pair of heels with that setup. Of course you wonā€™t get the latest platform with the NDS but if sound quality is your priority, I would recommend the extra effort to give one a try. Good luck!

4 Likes

I will give it a try some day.
First step is the streamer - think it will be better as source as HDX. But like the HDX as well. When a 555ps comes up, the nds is worth a try.
All 3 also might work together :slight_smile:

Soā€¦ ND5XS2 is here and it sounds perfect! Oh yeah it is better than HDX.
Will test much more tomorrow.

One questionā€¦
When powered up coming from standby there is a louder clicking inside. It is louder - does not sound any damaged.
Is this normal?
How is yours when switched on?

Think it is normal behaviorā€¦ Click

I think I will not shut it down it to standbyā€¦ will keep it in operation as all my units :o) so no click

You should hear a single click from the relay when you turn it on. More than that may indicate a fault.

2 Likes

It is more like a very fast double (or triple) click (Less that half a second) - it sounds exactly like a Relay clicking. After that total silence. Single click when turned off.

Is this fine?

Really like it and want to keep it

Yes, itā€™s normal.

3 Likes

Thanks - Made my Night!
Was a Bit surprised. Never had such Mechanical clicking at naim before. My older onkyo avr also has a eben longer triple Relais when Switched on.

But nd5 is (except - muso 2) my newest naim Gear.

I am very surprised how much better the streamer is compared to HDX. Very happy with it! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Congratulations on the new streamer. We are enjoying our new one as well.

Now you just need a 555 :laughing:

1 Like

Yess - looking hard for a 555ps.

As the new streamers are so good. What do think ā€¦
Is it worth to compare a ndx2 in this setup. Meaning going digital in the nDAC.

What I really like is, that the punchy sound is still here - Think it is DAC related.
Does the ndx2 streamer is recognizeable better when used without internal DAC. Board is the same - do not need display or remote. We have a lot of iOS devices here (iOS 15 :o)

Wonderful the nd5xs2 - I am in love.
Now I need a push to change to NAS.
Currently the HDX is doing his job as a server - organizing his iternal files as well as the ones from NAS.
When I select HDX in naim app, it is better organized. Even with last played option and top 20.
When I open minim server I can stream - but it is more folder structured.
Have tried the nd5 as server - but with no effect. Maybe this will help. Have transcoded all wav files from hdx with software on my macbook, so I have all flac available for NASā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like