Upgrade HDX-DAC-XPS to NDS-555PS?

What software did you use for this? If you mean HDX software such as N-Serve you should be fine. Most other audio transcoding software will lose the metadata from an HDX rip, so test this on your non-Naim server (Minimserver?) if you haven’t already done so.

Software is called “to flac converter” (can I write this here?) - it is not for free.
Works perfect - I checked all files. Only a very little had wrong tags. All Flac are tagged and ready for NAS Play. I did this as I liked to keep a WAV copy of the HDX Rips one the HDX

Does the Naim App control the HDX like the old n-Serve app? I could never get the Naim app to work with my HDX.

N-serve for hdx as Player only. Naim app does not work.
When Steamed frim nd5xs2 the hdx is shown as server in the naim app

Ah, OK, that’s what I figured. Although a steamed HDX sounds pretty tasty…
:smirk:

There is a huge difference in sound between hdx and nd5xs2!
Hdx is a bit brighter but with limited soundstage. With nd5 it opens up and is much less harsh in the upper spectrum.
It really sound analogue - with its digital limitations. Vinyl has more information - but with nd5 the sound is very similar. Instrument separation is phenomenal! Soundstage is wider than before and wider as my Vinyl setup. Vinyl is more together but deeper in 3D soundstage.
With acoustic guitars playing nd5 clear behind vinyl, when it comes to resolution. With hdx it first sounded better with guitars (brighter sound) but … nd5 wins :o) But - my nd5 is nearly brand new. There is a lot of running in to come.

1 Like

It’s an age old debate of whether NDX2/555PS is better than NDX2 into nDAC/555PS. We’re going to start with PS on nDAC but down the line will try other option. It’s probably a personal choice based on other system components/speakers and room.

Our new system isn’t racked yet, disappointingly. Other issues taking higher priority, but fingers crossed some movement over next couple of weeks.

One more thing… :slight_smile:
The app allows me to select, which hink of output to choose. ND5XS2 runs on naimDC1 - I selected “Native” for BNC connection - is this best?

We’re using native as well. Think this has something to do with how DSD might be handled not sure! If your DAC didn’t do DSD the ND… could get into the stream and send PCM.

nDAC does DSD64 so native would be correct I think. When I play DSD “Sea Change” by Beck the SuperUniti shows DSD64 as stream type. I have to say it sounds better than using SU streaming section, something the NDX2 is doing is giving downstream a great digital signal and naim kit (even the old SU) seems to respond very well to this.

Wow - this is a lot to learn.
I have an nDAC - meaning native is fine?
DSD = ?

Sea change … wonderful album!

Iain is right, the PCM setting is for DACs that cannot handle DSD, so the streamer converts to PCM. So this is only relevant if you play DSD, and doesn’t apply to the NDAC, because it can handle DSD as long as it has the latest firmware.

Think my nDAC has the latest FW - I know there is some way to check. How this is done ? Thanks

edit: found it!

Had a “heart moment” - suddenly at the end of one title the stream stops suddenly and skips to the next (ore even one more). But have done some skipping and pausing and also had it with HDX some time. Its only a computer :slight_smile:
Hope this is only a hiccup. :o/

How can I shutdown the unit - pull the plug for 5 min?

4.11.8 - should be latest SW. :slight_smile:

I’m really happy you have found a good streamer.

Once you get a psu on the DAC you’ll be flying!

2 Likes

Thanks
I have an xps connected to DAC - still 3 boxes :slight_smile:
But 555ps will be next target.

How would ND555 sound… I fear it will be tremendous

Listened a lot - it is a huge step. It is much faster and has definitely more PRAT. Sound is really analogue wise - but still prefer vinyl :slight_smile:

Will the ndx2 (as pure transport) will much better as nd5xs2 ?
Not for display or remote - only sq.
Ok… i will enjoy the new toy first :slight_smile:

In my experience, no, I tested them both as transports and could hear no difference. That was into a Chord DAC, I guess it’s possible that the NDAC is more sensitive to such things but I’m pretty sure the difference, if there is one, will be very small for the considerable extra cost.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: so looking for 555ps is next.

1 Like

With the ND5XS2 into nDAC/PSU you’ll have a very fine digital source.

We went with the NDX2 as transport, rather than ND5XS2, for reasons other than SQ as they share the same streaming board. SWMBO likes a physical remote and I am actually finding the screen more useful than I thought I would.

1 Like