Upgrade HDX-DAC-XPS to NDS-555PS?

Now for first time tried quobuz streaming. There is a lot of music inside…
What I have not found yet is the possibility to choose between CD-quality and hi res format. In the app on Mac and iPad it is possible to choose, but in naim app it is always hi res, when available.
Thought it would apply, when I change it in my account in the Mac app, but did not happen.

Is the naim app always hi res based?

Maybe wrong thread?

Go to Input Settings >Qobuz and you can set the max quality there, independently of the Qobuz app setting.

1 Like

Input settings … in the naim App? Thanks - found it. You made it again!

1 Like

Thanks again - strange, but I like the cd quality more than hi res. Not new to me - had recognized before. Must be my geriatric ears

Still loving the streamer :slight_smile:
I currently run it with a DC1 and have another one to connect my hdx as well. So the hdx can still be used as player.
Is this setup fine, but does it influence SQ when 2 sources are connected to nDAC.
And is there a gold standard for a digital cable beside DC1. Any ideas for a warm sounding cable?

I’m happy to hear this drago. I have a 2017 NDS running thru an SN2 and it sounds great, but it’s good to know that the new tech streaming board is a lot better than the first gen board as I was planning to eventually add an ND5 XS2 to the front end thru the NDS.
There’s no chance of getting a loaner from a dealer in Canada, so I have to just buy pre-owned and move it on if I don’t like it. So this helps the decision.

2 Likes

Have you experimented with position of the ground switch on the back of the DAC and streamer?

I’ve tried a couple of far chaper coax cables and found them to sound more or less identical to the DC1, which is now sitting in my spares box while I use a Mark Grant HDX1 cable. It was about a tenth of the price of the DC1.

Can I ask why you use the Mark Grant in preference to the DC1?

Does it sound better or is it just more flexible and easier to dresss?

It comes in a choice of lengths, whereas the DC1 is the only cable I’ve never been able to dress properly. Its length and stiffness means that it is jammed up hard against the wall behind the rack in a loop which is highly visible.
In my system the two cables sound the same.

Good to know. DC1 is quite inflexible but we should have plenty space behind rack as we’ve two burndy to accommodate.

Mind you NDX2 and nDAC will be on adjecent shelves (vertically) so a long cable is not necessary.

A 50cm HDX1 with BNC appears to be £28 which would be a bit of a bargain.

Hi,
The 555PS needs either the NDS (or ND555) to make use of the twin connection
The NDS/555DR will sound better than anything else bar a ND555/555DR for UPnP based playback of your local library.

If you want/need support for Tidal & Qobuz playback, then Roonify the NDS with a UPnP Bridge - this moves the processing of the internet streams and any other format conversion out of the network player, allowing the NDS to do what was designed to do, play a locally served UPnP WAV stream.

I will even go further and say that a NDS/555DR playing back through Roon is on the same par as an ND555/555DR also through Roon.

I would not look to run an external DAC over S/PDIF, due to the flaws in this protocol - external DACs need a clocked connection.

So, IMO, get the NDS, the 555DR and look at the options for the UPnP Bridge and a Roon Core. The SonicTransporter range is a single box solution to this - going to be better value than a ND555/555DR

If you own an nds, this might be a solution.
If an nds is crossing no my way and an 555ps… who knows.
This might be an intersection setup, as it is easy to compare with nds as streamer or as DAC with nd5 streaming

Wow, Theses are much cheaper cables. Do you use them with BNC/rca adaptors? Have only found the rca cable with google.
DAC is chassis and streamer floating. Hdx is als floating.
Have not experiemented with it, as no hum is there and that’s fine.
Can the setting really make a difference in sound quality?

To my initial question.
Is it sound degrading, when both sources (hdx and nd5) are connected to DAC.

Most cables are available with BNC or RCA plugs so you can buy one to match the equipment without using adapters. Best to use BNC where available for a true 75Ohm connection, although either will work fine.

The NDAC is designed to accept multiple inputs so it should be OK. I think probably setting the switch to Chassis on the DAC would be best as the ground is not carried through to the other boxes on a digital connection. It’s worth experimenting with this, and maybe even disconnecting unused sources just to see if there’s an audible difference.

1 Like

I got a used Linn Klimax DS, but used to have HDX, DAC, XPS2 for 10 years. Last year got a 555PS for NDAC. It gave more infomation and a powerful sound but bass was too strong, too solid. Linn Klimax DS was better, still have the HDX and DAC

Do you play that into your 552, 2 x 250.2, and SL2s?

I used to rock a HDX-SSD, nDAC+XPS2 for 8 years. Then 272 for a while. Now I use a Melco N1Z + Linn Klimax DSM.

But given the prices of s/h NDS I tried a 2017 NDS/555PS (with my 252/SC/135) and it was superb and very musical. Adding the nDAC/XPS2 to the NDS was a negative.

1 Like

Hello yes I do. I also have a Linn Klimax Renew DS in my upstairs system.

Compared to my Naim rig, the Linn is a cleaner or more in proportion in the bass. Levels of detail are equally great. The best part is that it plays out 1700 HDX ripped CDs as well as Qobuz streams very well, but HD streams in Qobuz are awesome and really so good you don’t miss the CD version at all.

You can pick up a Klimax DS for £3 - 4k and it’s very good value.

1 Like

Still totally stunned by the streamer.
Very nice sounding. Nice Rich Sound … very involving.
Would love to Hear nd555 some day :blush:

… nd5xs2 - nDAC - xps

2 Likes

Don’t buy a 555 dr , if not, you will be tempted every day by the Nd555. Like me.

3 Likes