Upgrade itch 272 / 555PS DR / 300 DR, SL

It’s really nice that you are so complimentary about something you have moved on from. The 272/555 is terrific - if I ever moved from it I’d want a ND555 and a 552, something I couldn’t justify financially or in terms of space. As you say, good setup is needed to get the best from it. Mine has Fraim, a Powerline and SL leads, and it gives so much more than it would plonked in a heap on the floor.

3 Likes

When I listen to my 272/555dr setup even with the 250dr its brilliant no itch to upgrade but if I did it would be a jump to a 552 not sure what streamer though hard to justify the ND555.

I think the 272 performance … in a way undermined Naims hierarchy … I have a suspicion this may be fuelling reluctance…to redevelop. I think HH should start a 272 love thread … to see if Naim takes note…:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Other found 282/ hicap/ NDX better than 272/ 555ps. And I am not talking of 282/ hicap/ ndx2 or 282/hicap/ nds/ xps.
I feel the hierarchy is still unchanged.

1 Like

I think so too. I’ve said enough about the 272 in the past to bore everyone to death. I’m leaving it to others now.

1 Like

I have a legacy streamer (SU) and listen to Tidal a lot.

Installing the bubble on the NAS and using Kazoo to control Tidal streams is a night and day improvement to the native Tidal streaming on legacy streamers. If you haven’t done that I’d do that before making any new equipment decisions. And I second what others have said wrt equipment placement. Even if you can’t get a fraim I’d try getting the boxes off the floor or at least getting the streamer away from the amp and PS.

Going back to the original question…you can obviously improve greatly on the 272…I have always found it somewhat underwhelming…
A pre-loved NDS would be a considerable upgrade… but as has been said … go for the isolation and correct set up first…

1 Like

Gents, thanks for all the feedback. I already have the Powerlines and have no issue streaming with the current router, we have 60Mbps and it always works well. Looking at the comments it seems a Fraim is the way to go, i was previously always a little skeptical of how much difference it would really make… cost wise will be similar to buying the isolation feet so i might as well take the pain from the missus and just go for it. Seeing the current setup with the cables squashed down the back doesn’t sit well with me in truth. Second step will be to install a NAS with Bubble it seems, no idea how to set that up but will figure it out.

2 Likes

Going to the Fraim is a good decision, I think. I went from Hutter to Fraim and it made a big difference to the sound, and Hutter is very well regarded. Apart from SQ I would be very nervous having the Naim boxes on the floor where they are very vulnerable to accidental damage.

1 Like

Obviously a Naim frame isn’t the only option. I personally am not a massive fan of the Frame and feel it looks a bit dated. If I was in the market for a rack and I had the budget I’d be looking strongly at the Quadraspire x reference rack. Looks fantastic in my opinion. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

This is how my 272, 555 and 300 is set up
on Fraim, with my NAT05 in the middle. With the 272, then 300, then the 05, then 300PS and with the 555 at the bottom, all the burndies are off the floor and the SL interconnects hang free. The design is not to everyone’s taste but I think it’s great. It only cost my £1,250 user, which is even better. It really does make a huge difference, and I suspect you’ll be really surprised. Do try to do it if you can.

5 Likes

Hi Deegs,

I have a suspicion that a significant part of your issue is the interaction between the speakers and the room. From what you have shown, the room, although fairly large, has a lot of hard / acoustically reflective surfaces. This can result in a bright / cold acoustic acoustic presentation; but all is not lost…

To really work out if this is the main problem (or just a contributor to a wider problem) is actually quite easy, but it requires a little bit of knowledge (which I can supply) and some measurements done with a calibrated microphone.

If you get a copy or REW (Room Equalisation Wizard) and a microphone such as the miniDSP UMIK-1; and then post a few measurements on here, I can advise whether there is an acoustic problem in the room and make some suggestions as to how to improve it.

2 Likes

You might be surprised at what a 300DR brings, w/o upsetting the entire system.

1 Like

Other than than making the speakers seem two feet taller, a large increase in scale, much more drive and a huge improvement in musical involvement, I’m not sure the 300DR would bring that much to the party.

1 Like

Yeah . . . you’re probably right . . . silly me for suggesting it.

Hi Geegs.
You can actually achieve close proximity between Fraim and wall and still enjoy heavenly order in the cable dressing department…just sayin’ :+1:t3: ATB Peter

3 Likes

Yeah you are probably right, the 250 is going nowhere.

Hi Xanthe,

Very kind of you thanks, it looks like i can pick up a mic from amazon locally for around $90.

You are right, the room is not ideal at all, approximately 6m wide by 10m, 2 sets of glass sliding doors, tiled floors and suspended ceiling to house the AC…

Hi Hungry…
Very nice set of lovely naim’s classic system ,especialy on Fraim ,I would like to have one like this .
I have 272/250 dr ,the PSU will be Roon,but i’m a fan of vinyl’s and I have a question how I van Connect turntable to 272?
Thanks and regards

You simply need a phono stage, which you connect to either the din or phono input on the 272. My little Rega has a built in phono stage, which makes it really easy.