Upgrade itch 272 / 555PS DR / 300 DR, SL

Thanks
I already have stageline, so can I connect simply, strait in to 272 (does 272 have a phono input)?

Yes, just plug it in.

Sorry ,I thought that 272 can’t power Stageline,but now I try to connect 272 in to analog input of nac272.

Ah right, sorry. I was assuming you have a suitable power supply. You’ll need one if you want to use a Stageline with a 272. Otherwise it’s a case of getting a powered phono stage.

Thanks, so for exemple a Flatcap xs or 2x will be fine to connect a Stageline with nac272?

Yes, either would be ok.

Thanks

Just added these, being in a Mediterranean style villa the metal feet against the tiled floor wasn’t ideal. Substantial improvement but still room for more. uPNP is the next step using a MacBook mini I have spare.

5 Likes

I demoed these under my speakers (suspended wooden floor, 3’ void) for a couple of weeks - warmer than spikes, but somehow sucked the life out of my music! Moved on to Stillpoints Ultra SS - never looked back. Cost a fair bit more than the Gaias, but in a different league musically. If you’re in a position to exchange, may be worth a punt (I believe the Cerabases used by French Rooster give similar, very good results, although I have no personal experience).

1 Like

Have not tested the Gaia and Stillpoints. Would however be interested in the Townshend platforms. Maybe in the future.
For Stillpoints, they have solid reputation. But very costly…The entry level cost near the same as Finite Elemente Cerabases.

Worth every penny!

1 Like

They must be cheaper in US or Canada. In France,

Stillpoints Ultra 6: 1000 euros for one. I need 6…

Please note: in addition to the power supply, you will need two cables: a SNAIC 5 (which should have come with the Stageline) and a 4-to-5 pin DIN interconnect. The Naim connection guide (link here) has diagrams that show you what you need to do.

Thanks Sweet.bippy
I know about two cables, thanks
I was thinking about I SUPPLY ,is much cheeper than Flatcap, but I don’t know if it will work just fine with nac272 and Stageline?What do you think?
Thanks and regards

Very expensive with no explanation as to how they work - and that’s always very suspicious.

They boldly claim that there’s “no direct contact between the component and the surface upon which it rests.”, which implies that they are using a force field (e.g magnetic) to support the component and oppose gravity.
However, they also claim that “The materials used in Stillpoints are ceramics and stainless steel.”, but neither of these are capable of forming permanent magnets with sufficient strength to achieve the magnetic flux density necessary to achieve the repulsive forces they claim at the sizes they state.

Something simply isn’t right here…
Electric forces are insufficiently strong.
The magnetic materials specified are insufficiently strong.
There’s no large power supply to energise electromagnets.

Maybe they are hiding some other materials to achieve the effect…
Such as samarium-cobalt magnets (or the so far mythical room temperature superconductors or just ‘marketing speak’, or even snake oil perhaps?), not even neodymium-iron-boron magnets could achieve the performance they claim.
Or maybe they just weren’t being honest and there actually is a direct connection based on a ceramic load bearing element within the design!

1 Like

i-Supply for Stageline will work fine with NAC-N 272. One less shelf too than if you were to have either a FC or HC for the Stageline.

Audiovarna now setup on an old Mac mini running Tidal via uPnP. Sounding fuller yet without sacrificing detail. Surprisingly easy to setup!

The difference this has made is amazing, it’s like a whole new HiFi!

…the boss has signed off on this visually. The Fraim was a definite no unfortunately! Have any of you gentleman tried this unit and can offer some feedback?

1 Like

Look like Simrack. Some threads were done on it.

3 Likes