Upgrade NAP200 to NAP250

Dear all,

I have audiophysics tempo 3i. And NAC202 with a NAP200. What will be the effect if I just upgrade to a NAP250. Is it possible that it might sound worse?
I really think that the audiophysics like to have a little bit more power.
Other components are CHC NAPSC HICAP non DR.
NDX and CD5X and flatcap.
A NAC252 or NAC282 will probably to expensive.
There for I am wondering what the upgrade from NAP200 to NAP250 might do.

Forum lore says don’t do it. Sorry because I have a sense that this is not what you want to hear.

1 Like

I didn’t get on with a 200 in my system and the 250DR is a pretty great amp. I’m not sure how it will be with a 200 fronting it though. Maybe sell the 202/200 and get a SN2 or SN3 if funds allow. Then upgrade from there as funds allow.

1 Like

…I would go reach a bit even if you have to wait and replace the NAC 202 with a NAC 282. Then move to the NAP 250 down the road.

6 Likes

The 250DR is a great power amp, but in this case I agree with ‘forum lore’, to me it doesn’t pair well with a 202. So given that you already have a Hicap I would say get a 282 first. You won’t need your NAPSC as the 282 is normally supplied with one, so you can sell yours so cut the cost a little.

If you are serious about streaming, I would add an XPS to your streamer, as I find that it’s not really a good enough source without one when your amp gets more revealing. A DAC upgrade would be another option here.
Could say much the same about your CD player too. Good though it is, it’s an X level source trying to compete with a Classic level amp.
A used NDAC might be a good option to consider here as it would upgrade both NDX and CD player with just one box. You probably wouldn’t then need the Flatcap either.

Edit: you can’t upgrade a CD5X with a separate DAC as it has no digital out, unlike its successor, the CD5XS.

3 Likes

I have had the 202 with a 250-2 and it never sounded «right» until I finally got the 282. My end game was 282 Supercap and 250 (… last words) and buying second hand as the opportunity arised meant that I for a short period had 202 and Supercap. That was rather amusing, 202 on illegal substances :grin: I can only echo @ChrisSU, improve your sources and get a 282 before the 250.

1 Like

I’ve a 202/200. They will be going in the next year or so. I’ve heard the 202 paired with both a 282 and 250 and, whilst long standing forum members will know of my antipathy towards the 282, I have to say a 250, which in other contexts is a very decent power amp, absolutely does not pair well with a 202.

1 Like

Many thanks all. I will reconcider my choices.

1 Like

At one point, I had a 102 with a 250. It was my worst (*) Naim combo. Which I never really managed to get to work well. A 72 was better. But an 82 fixed it - and some…!!! Back on track.

(* - Relatively… Still OK, just didn’t quite ‘gel’…)

1 Like

I agree with the comments recommending pre amp and source changes first. I actually prefer a serviced 82 over a 282 and if funds are an issue you could go that way.

3 Likes

I would get an 82 with a 250 personally. I still have my 82 with Supercap 2 and 2 x 135s. The 202 isn’t good enough with a 250. Upgrade your preamp first is my advice.

1 Like