Upgrade NAP200 to NAP250

Dear all,

I have audiophysics tempo 3i. And NAC202 with a NAP200. What will be the effect if I just upgrade to a NAP250. Is it possible that it might sound worse?
I really think that the audiophysics like to have a little bit more power.
Other components are CHC NAPSC HICAP non DR.
NDX and CD5X and flatcap.
A NAC252 or NAC282 will probably to expensive.
There for I am wondering what the upgrade from NAP200 to NAP250 might do.

Forum lore says don’t do it. Sorry because I have a sense that this is not what you want to hear.

1 Like

I didn’t get on with a 200 in my system and the 250DR is a pretty great amp. I’m not sure how it will be with a 200 fronting it though. Maybe sell the 202/200 and get a SN2 or SN3 if funds allow. Then upgrade from there as funds allow.

2 Likes

…I would go reach a bit even if you have to wait and replace the NAC 202 with a NAC 282. Then move to the NAP 250 down the road.

7 Likes

The 250DR is a great power amp, but in this case I agree with ‘forum lore’, to me it doesn’t pair well with a 202. So given that you already have a Hicap I would say get a 282 first. You won’t need your NAPSC as the 282 is normally supplied with one, so you can sell yours so cut the cost a little.

If you are serious about streaming, I would add an XPS to your streamer, as I find that it’s not really a good enough source without one when your amp gets more revealing. A DAC upgrade would be another option here.
Could say much the same about your CD player too. Good though it is, it’s an X level source trying to compete with a Classic level amp.
A used NDAC might be a good option to consider here as it would upgrade both NDX and CD player with just one box. You probably wouldn’t then need the Flatcap either.

Edit: you can’t upgrade a CD5X with a separate DAC as it has no digital out, unlike its successor, the CD5XS.

4 Likes

I have had the 202 with a 250-2 and it never sounded «right» until I finally got the 282. My end game was 282 Supercap and 250 (… last words) and buying second hand as the opportunity arised meant that I for a short period had 202 and Supercap. That was rather amusing, 202 on illegal substances :grin: I can only echo @ChrisSU, improve your sources and get a 282 before the 250.

1 Like

I’ve a 202/200. They will be going in the next year or so. I’ve heard the 202 paired with both a 282 and 250 and, whilst long standing forum members will know of my antipathy towards the 282, I have to say a 250, which in other contexts is a very decent power amp, absolutely does not pair well with a 202.

1 Like

Many thanks all. I will reconcider my choices.

1 Like

At one point, I had a 102 with a 250. It was my worst (*) Naim combo. Which I never really managed to get to work well. A 72 was better. But an 82 fixed it - and some…!!! Back on track.

(* - Relatively… Still OK, just didn’t quite ‘gel’…)

2 Likes

I agree with the comments recommending pre amp and source changes first. I actually prefer a serviced 82 over a 282 and if funds are an issue you could go that way.

3 Likes

I would get an 82 with a 250 personally. I still have my 82 with Supercap 2 and 2 x 135s. The 202 isn’t good enough with a 250. Upgrade your preamp first is my advice.

3 Likes

What about a n272 with the 250.
And sell the nac202 nap200 and ndx?

2 Likes

The 272/250DR are a great two box solution. Throw an XPS DR on it and it’s even better. It really depends on where you’re going though. If you’re wanting to get up the upgrade path for separates it might make sense to go a different route. But for the money it’s tough to beat the 272/250DR.

2 Likes

I just took a good look. I could not find a phono input. And i also like my CD5X as a source.
The NAP250 is non DR.

1 Like

depending on your budget two options - as you mention 250Dr is a lovely AMP

however if it was me, I would look at 282, I had 282 /200 combo for a couple of years with NAPSC/HCDR, you would get more out of both sources with 282, if seperates is your journey plan

1 Like

Previous 250’s did not suddenly become ‘bad’, when DR came in… :thinking:

IMO, any Naim 250 is a great amp… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I compared 250.2 with 250DR on 272/XPSDR and Focal 1028be… I found that with the DR the sound gained in natural, the sound was softer but the sound lost in PRAT, in speed, in energy… on classical and acoustic I think the DR is better, but on everything else I prefer the 250.2, because I listen to all styles of music I kept the 250.2…

Just to clarify, I have the PowerLine and the NACA5…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.