Upgrade NDX: NDS vs NDX2?

+1

Yep i tried them both at the time, a few years ago, down at hifi lounge, on the naim system he uses.
I went down to buy a new NDX2, and tried it and the NDS, the NDS as i said was slightly better, but it wasn’t much different, the NDS/555 just sounded abit more analog and smooth, as said the NDX2 wasn’t using a power supply.
I decided to get the NDS at the time as it was £2000 cheaper, but regretted it as time went on, due to its limitations.
Qobuz definitely sounds better than tidal, and if buying today, then for simplicity then the NDX2 would win for me, as i am sure running the new software ( ment to be better sounding), qobuz over tidal, running an XPS on the NDS, i think this will all to to much for the NDS to win the day.

2 Likes

I have an NDS with 555PS and it sounds sublime. The problem I have with it is lack of reliability with TIDAL and lack of availability with other music service providers. It is not state of the art by any stretch. I’ve also had some problems with the Naim App and NAS drive.

It’s great with NAS drive, Spotify and Internet radio.

I have heard the NDX2 with a 555PS on a 252/ 500 NAP system. It sounded good but I felt my 82 2 x 135s with NDS 555PS sounded more natural and better overall.

A brand new NDX2 with warranty and being up to date with the music services is a big plus.

It depends on your priorities and if they may change.

The NDS sounds great, the NDX2 offers the advantages of the new streaming platform.

1 Like

I have had NDS/555PS from new for circa 4 yrs,…recently did a longish demo on an NDX2 bare and with my 555PS.
Really wanted the NDX2 to be at least as good/ better sounding, it wasn’t, the NDS to my ears was better…

5 Likes

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions …

I see that almost all of you confirm that NDS should be even better than NDX2 in terms of sound quality.

I would like to clarify that I am also interested in qobuz but that it is not a problem if it is not managed in a natural way by the streamer as already today I use it with the NDX through Audirvana installed on a Mac.

qobuz managed in this way goes very well with the 'ndx and I could continue like this also with the nds.

however I use qobuz only to evaluate the news or for some “disinterested” listening. for “serious” listening I use my music in hi res stored on the Nas …

at this point I think the right way forward could really be NDS …

5 Likes

I use an NDS …for about 5 yrs now
First 3 were with an XPS dr
Was quite pleased with it…but always felt it could sound better

Eventually saved enough for a 555 none dr

Made a nice and noticeable improvement for about the same money as I got for the XPS

1 Like

If one reason why the NDS edges the NDX2 is the extra attention given to internal separation / isolation of the digital and analogue pathways, would the former still outperform when both streamers are used as transport-only into external DACs?

Anyone have experience?

1 Like

Indeed asked several times before and the answer I suspect is the same as it is determined by their respective designs.

As a streamer the NDX2 is superior to the NDS
As a DAC the NDS is superior to the NDX2.

Therefore if streaming tasks are limited, like limited to local streams where you can optimise your media server and network equipment then the NDS will provide the best performance.

If you cloud stream as well and/or use Roon and other access methods such as via Chromecast… ie really use the device as a flexible streamer , then the NDS will disappoint or limit. You could address by adding after market bridges and media proxies to the NDS, but it will get cluttered.

Of course as the NDX2 and NDS use different remote methods… and you got a good price for a used NDS… you could consider using a NDX2 streamer to feed an NDS DAC (in digital input mode and bypass its streamer functionality) … I suspect that would work rather well and be closer to a ND555.

6 Likes

I have an NDS and wanted to access Roon and Qobuz but keep things simple at the same time. Just added a Roon Nucleus connected to the switch and a Sonore Bridge (very small box) connected to the router (away from the rack). That works very well, not expensive and no need to add a streamer on top of the NDS.

3 Likes

I concur, an NDS/555DR with Roon through the SonoreUPnP Bridge, provides all the additional streaming capabilities of the newer Naim streamers (Qobuz, FLAC Radio streaming, better Tidal including support for Tidal Masters), plus the Roon system provides MQA support, works with other hardware for multi room usage, better UI, etc.
I wouldn’t use a streaming system without Roon, regardless of where my library is local or through thr use of internet streaming services. The majority of my listening is local streaming, with Tidal being there for new discovery, ‘hole filling’, 3rd party playlists etc. against the 90k tracks stored locally.
Unless you want the latest software & streamer support in the NDX2, I believe you will be happy with a NDS, and maybe with the different can upgrade to the 555DR, plus try a Roon environment.

5 Likes

@angelodipa , Or even just eventually add an ND5 XS2 to the NDS. That’s most likely the route that I will end up taking. Cheaper than the NDX2, and controllable by the NDS.

2 Likes

Yep that’ll work, though you loose that glorious colour control and media display screen… but sure if your Naim is hidden away then indeed why not…

3 Likes

I’ve never heard the NDS or NDX2 but I own NDX & ND5. In this context you should get the NDX2 because that awful little green screen on the NDS will die soon. Both of my streamers failed in past 18 months. Currently the ND5/X aren’t worth repairing. My dealer won’t even bother to look into it for me.

I believe I read recently that Naim will now do just a screen repair for one of the green screen streamers/Unitis for a lower figure. Perhaps someone who knows will post, but I recall less than £150 although you need to add the courier charge to get it to Naim, say £30.
Best

David

1 Like

I finally made my decision and, deciding to give maximum importance to the audio quality, I am happy owner of a fantastic NDS …

10 Likes

That must be a recent thing. I had my screen replaced around 18 months ago. My NDS was around 7.5 years old at the time so my retailer requested a service at the same time as the cost was the same (approx. £350).

The return paperwork stated that the screen had been replaced but no service carried out as “it’s not required for a unit of this age” so, £350 for a new screen.

Hi Angelo, let us know about SQ compared to your NDX :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes it is.

Best

David

Asap😉

Hi, very happy NDS 552 owner here especially now with the ND5XS2 (BNC) allowing access to the new platform goodies esp Qobuz,Radio Paradise etc

1 Like