Upgrade Path options

My NAC-N 272 was dropped off to my dealers on Saturday. They tested it yesterday and got the same faults that I was getting - wouldn’t stream from TIDAL, Spotify, no time, unable to change between inputs etc. The tested it again this morning and on the 2nd or 3rd reboot the faults disappeared and it is back to operating normally!

So, being without it for a few days, I spent my time researching how I might move to the next step in my system, with a view to ultimately splitting the streamer/pre amp out (probably 2nd hand/nearly new/ex-demo 282) into separate boxes.

My thoughts are the following:

1 - Source first - add an XPS DR to the 272 (will this also benefit the pre-amp stage for vinyl etc?)
2 - Add a 282/NAPSC/Hi-Cap in between the 272 and the 250 DR and continue using the 272 for streaming and DAC duties
3 - Upgrade the streamer to the NDX2 or audition others outside of the NAIM family

Does that sound like the right approach or should be I be taking a radically different approach?

Many thanks all

Mike

1 Like

272/XPSDR/250DR is a potent combo, one we used to own. The XPSDR does help preamp for sources such as a TT.

However at demo an ND5XS2/282/HCDR sounded better and started us on our upgrade journey.

We tried bare NDX2 into 272 - it massively improves on the 272 streamer/DAC, the strength of the 272 is the pre section.

We tried nDAC into 272 with only an iPad as source. Again much better than 272.

2 Likes

The 272 is a great box but you could do this in stages. First a 2nd hand 555 PSU, as you say would benefit the streamer and pre. Then later on trade the 272 for a 2nd hand NDX2 brilliant with the 555, and a 282/HC or even 252/SC. Lots of 2nd hand stuff around.

3 Likes

Use 272 as preamp (turn off all inputs), you will have a very competent pre with his own headphone amp, add ndx2+xps and enjoy.

3 Likes

Do you mean that you can use the ndx2 with the xps and then connect it to the 272 and use it as a pure preamplifier?
I have a 272 myself and it plays well. Thinking that you might also get a further improvement by connecting another xps to the 272? Or is it overkill?

1 Like

You can’t have too many power supplies :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So it can be done :blush:

272 by itself is Really good, keep the psu for eventually an NDX2, l’m using nd5xs2+ndac+psu, not sure a other psu is a must. With 250, you have a nice kit, let’ s play music.

2 Likes

I too had 272/XPS/250DR at one time and very enjoyable it was, but I did come to wonder about the XPS. I already had one when I bought the 272 so it was natural to use them together. However, shortly before I traded in that system I was without the XPS for a while and to be honest the bare 272 was not far behind using it with the PS. I’d only get one at a price you could easily sell it on for. A 555PS is another matter and they can be picked up surprisingly cheaply at the moment.

But, things have moved on and I’d seriously look at the 272’s natural successor, the NSC 222. The full 200 series demo I heard was very impressive and a setup I’d happily own. Or of course, if budget allows, there’s always the 300 series!

Roger

3 Likes

Thanks Roger - Sadly the NSC 222 is beyond my reach! I’ve seen 555PS’s go for £2700-£3000 which would be fine, I just can’t see any at that price at the moment!

@PeakMan - just spoken to my usual dealer and I’ve just booked a listening session to compare the NSC 222 to my existing 272 - given the additional boxes of splitting out the Streamer/Pre section and associated power supplies, additional rack levels etc, he thinks I should seriously consider the 222…So never say never, I’m now considering the 222 and the logic does seem sound!

2 Likes

If you use a subscription service for streaming I’m with your dealer - it could be a costly demo beware!

3 Likes

:rofl:

I have TIDAL and Roon…

1 Like

Does anyone know if the CD 555 PS can be used with the NSC 222?

Yes I think @ElMarko uses a 555 but he can hopefully confirm if it needs to be DR or not. I know he has experience of the burndies required too so hopefully he can respond to you :+1:.

1 Like

I’m using a 555DR with 222 to great effect. You’ll need legacy to NC burndies for both outputs of the 555.

1 Like

Keep looking - I got a 555ps 3 weeks ago. DR and £2450. Blew me away putting it on the NDX2.

4 Likes

I have demoed all the new kit and for the money have ended up not moving to the white light…. Bit by bit I have upgraded you can pick up a 282 and a pair of hicaps or a supercap for good money. I have a ndx2 now with a 555dr ps and wow. Just put in the 552 pre as well and I think I would need new ears to get much better….

2 Likes

Just looking at the prices you could get so much out of £6k spend on the 222 out of some pre loved kit….

1 Like

2450 GBP for a 555 dr is low. Congrats !
But how old it is? Does it need a service ?