Upgrade router and its power supply?

Not sure 8 switch would be better - I think AQvox have an excellent reputation actually - I know Hans Beekhuyzen is a fan (has a YT channel)

1 Like

Excellent, thank you.
Totally agree with everything you say so eloquently.

no worries, and in general Iā€™m pleased to say that these Naim forums are generally a lot more friendly and open-minded that most other hi forums I frequent

Today i can only describe the sound quality as the snapping of a fresh rhubarb stalk, straight from the garden, as opposed to the slicing of cucumber, from the fridge.:sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

would that be organic or not? It all makes a difference you know

1 Like

Ambient temperature during test?

1 Like

My 24 port cisco distributes everything around the house ā€¦ do think I would see a benefit using an LPS on my Huawee B525 routerā€¦ even though it appears to be sorting only the Internet side as there is just a single ethernet cable going into the cisco???

possibly, especially if you are not using power conditioning on your hi fi rig. Iā€™m not saying putting an LPSU on a router is going to help everyoneā€™s systems, as we all have such different setups. I mean it may be that I benefitted because the SMPS of my router was on an adjacent socket to my main hi fi rig. YMMV depending on where that Huawee is in your home in relation to your hi fi rig. I certainly would say that it is worth focusing on the switch feeding your hi fi first. Adding an LPSU to my EE 8 switch had a bigger impact than adding the LPSU to my router

2 Likes

Iā€™m not as experienced as others here, but my little project above also had health benefits. We were getting headaches from the EMI / RFI, which stopped after treatment.

If you have a high traffic router definitely worth trying. I can recommend the SBooster - very good insulating and shielding of components and cable.

sbooster are great bang for buck LPSUs - I have one on my DAC actually

An excerpt from an interesting article from Stereophile entitled ā€˜Truthiness in hifiā€™. Relevant to this and other topics? -

Iā€™m a scientist by training; I respect fact and evidence. I also understand that life is hard. Music is an escape. Iā€™m sympathetic to the impulse to find ways to feel good about it. Keep your stories, but also keep your moorings.

The best way to keep your moorings, Iā€™ve found, is simply to remain skeptical, in a good-humored wayā€”skeptical, not cynical. Believe in your stories, but donā€™t take them too seriously. Subject them to scrutiny and revise them as needed. Donā€™t take yourself too seriously, either.

Trust your ears, but verify. If you hear something that you canā€™t explainā€”some improvement, sayā€”donā€™t reject it outright. Instead, ask yourself, ā€œAre you sure you heard that?ā€ and listen again.

Or donā€™tā€”itā€™s up to you.ā€”Jim Austin

1 Like

Same here. The iFi one had a small impact on my EE8ā€¦but not in a good way.

G

1 Like

interesting

1 Like

I bought my EE8 used and the guy who sold it to me designed the ENO filter.

He recommended using the IFI PS as a worthwhile upgrade.

Everyone sees it differently. Itā€™s all a bit IFFY if you excuse the pun.

I didnā€™t like the ifi on the EE8 but do on the Router. I have an HNC in Construction which couldnā€™t be further removed from IT. So after initially considering safety ( I have a fair understanding of AC) I can only go on how these power supply changes effect the sound of my system. Some of Simonā€™s posts are too technical for me to fully ā€œgraspā€ but his knowledge should be respected regardless of how he goes about expressing it.

1 Like

Ok i have just removed my ifI iPower supply after a couple of weeks or so to my TP-Link AC2100 router and have now reconnected its stock one. I prefer the stock one. To my ears the iFI introduces a high frequency ā€˜sheenā€™ that IMHO makes the music sound more unnatural, less analogue? Oh well iā€™m not missing it in anyway soā€¦ Hmmmā€¦

2 Likes

Stephen - sorry to hear that. I have heard a few folks who are disappointed with ifi power supplies used with switches or DACs but itā€™a hard to find many comments about their use with routers. I am happy with my linear power supply from MCRU on my router - I think it has the opposite effect than the one you talk of - if anything, my streaming is sounding less digital and more analogue - certainly less fatiguing.

2 Likes

I guess with all of these things theyā€™re so system dependant, not one size fits all. I may have just gotten lucky with my TP-Link router to begin with, who knows? :man_shrugging:

At first go i thought the ifI was an improvement but as time has went by i was becoming a little irritated, especially when listening to internet radio. I ended up plugging the stock wall wart back in and voila. Did that a couple of times to re-affirm my preference.

Where did you find it?

Now Tidal sounds more on par with my local streaming (as before) from my NAS. This was another obvious difference that came to light as time went by, between the two - with the iFI there is an artificial digital treble quality, with shut in dynamics, a more forward presentation with quieter backgrounds. PRaT too went AWOL. Iā€™m amazed at how much difference there now is, considering that at first i thought it was only slight improvement over the stock supply.

Iā€™m now more convinced than ever that the best way to go is to just get a decent third party router and be done with it. Forget all these fancy ā€˜plug inā€™ power suppliesā€¦

3 Likes