Upgrade Streamer for Supernait 3 + Hicap DR

I started with a ND5 XS 2 and used it into a SN3 for around 8 months. I then upgraded to the NDX 2, which is even better, as is to be expected considering the price difference. I then upgraded again with a XPS DR, with which i still have after two years of use. I’m of course now very happy. :wink:

P.S. when i had ND5 XS 2 i preferred it without the HiCap DR into a SN3. With NDX 2 i brought back the HiCap DR as it then made for an appreciable improvement to the SN3.

3 Likes

Hi NO-QUARTER I’m interested in your further experience with the P1 now that you have had a couple of weekends more with it since you upgraded to Tidal Hifi Plus and have add use of MQA HiRes material.
Also interested in what streamer/dac you previously had before upgrading to the P1 and the improvements you have found with the upgrade.
Thanking you in advance for your further observations and experience with the P1.

Hi MoonDrifter
I have used the P1 with MQA here and there for a couple of weeks now. To me it still comes down to the quality of the recording in the first place. I have had a few “wow” moments and a few reaching for the remote to turn it down moments.
All in all, I am going to stick with Tidal MQA for a few more months before deciding one way or the other.
The P1 itself is definitely all I need, it is at least equal to my previous ND5XS2 into Chord Mscaler/TT2 in terms of overall enjoyment.
One thing I will point out is at one time last week I was listening to some music after work, and I literally felt like I was transported to the venue that the musicians were playing at. This has only happened to this level a few times in my life, it is a mesmerizing experience that you do not want to end.
Tomorrow I will have all the hardware to hook it up with optical Ethernet, so that should be interesting.
I have not got around to trying music videos yet, work has been taking up a lot of my time.
More to come when fibre is installed.

I received the hardware today to hook the P1 up with optical Ethernet. Hoping to be scraping my jaw off the floor when I get home from work.:grin:

2 Likes

Little update on the Fibre Ethernet… Huge upgrade over regular Ethernet, if you use Lumin, Fibre input will unleash the beast inside.
It is like a whole new machine for $70 dollars, cheapest, stunning upgrade I have ever done.

2 Likes

Hi NO-QUARTER, sorry for the slow response i have been in the middle of the Timor Sea all week on a job with no internet access.
Good to hear your initial findings with Tidal MQA Hi- Res material, your previous source components were impressive so good go also hear that the P1 is performing very well against that benchmark.
Interesting to also hear your experience with the uplift in sound quality going to the fibre connection, was this with connection to local streaming from a NAS or other storage device or from streaming via the internet from your modem connection?
I’m only using internet streaming from my modem so interested in the fibre connection set up and if its worth getting for internet streaming.
Also interested if you are using the pre-amplifier output of the P1 directly into a power amplifier or the power amplifier input of an integrated amplifier or using P1 fixed output into a pre-amplifier or normal line input thus using the inbuilt pre-amplifier of an integrated amplifier or your experience of comparing the different P1 outputs?
I’m interested as it maybe that the P1 pre-amp output is better than my SN3 pre-amp and would therefore be better to bypass SN3 pre-amp input and go straight into AV bypass input of SN3 straight into power amp section of SN3. All the professional reviews of the P1 say that its pre-amp section/output is really great. Your experience on the P1 pre-amp output would be appreciated.
I’ve just now bought a P1 in the EOFY sales based on my demo comparison experience, the multiple positive professional reviews and helped with input from your experience and am now waiting delivery.
Could not be bothered with waiting any longer for Naim, NAD or Marantz etc to maybe bring out new high end streamer/dacs as the P1 is getting such rave reviews.

Glad to hear you ordered a P1, good job. My listening has been 95% Tidal I would say.
Since I am trying to evaluate MQA, Tidal is my only option for that really.
I am still using the Preamp of my Nagra integrated, no amp direct yet, since I just switched to fibre.
What I am trying to do is only make one change at a time, to properly assess what each brings.
I do have my own music too, but have only briefly played a few albums here and there. I think I mentioned that I have a Roon subscription, so have been using Roon App, Tidal App, and Lumin App separately to see if there is a sound quality difference…not hearing any difference to speak of.
I used to own a Supernait 2, but never tried bypassing the preamp when I did, so can’t offer you much advice there.
Hope yours arrives soon.