Upgrade to a Supercap (olive) or Karousel for the Linn?

Lingo4 to go with the Karousel if funds can stretch somewhat more will transform your LP12 even further.

(no experience with the Supercap)

1 Like

Similarly, I have no experience of a HiCap/Supercap comparison.

Every aspect of my LP12’s performance through my humble 72/HiCap/250/Ariva speakers set-up has been transformed with the Karousel.
Your system will let you hear even more of what the Karousel can do. I cannot recommend it enough.

1 Like

Nice set-up!

1 Like

I went from 1xHC/82 to olive Supercap. Big smiles.

I recently upgraded to Karousel (with Kore and Trampolin 2). Even bigger smiles.

You shouldn’t go wrong with either option. I would say Karousel if vinyl is your main source. But if the supercap is a good price or good condition, it may be worth grabbing while you can. It took me a very long time sourcing top notch olive gear.

5 Likes

In order …

• Karousel
  • Troika rebuild
  • SuperCap

Do let us know what you decide ?

2 Likes

Very sensible advice in my opinion regarding the olive Supercap being perhaps a rare opportunity and the Karousel a current upgrade.

Some more thoughts: Interesting that you have two upgrade paths both for the LP12-side and for the whole system. So if you’re looking for priorities and/or budget matching it would indeed also depend on what is your primary source, the CD or vinyl.
Perhaps you could give the full current spec of the LP12 to have a better picture of where that may go or should go optimally.
Finally, I’m sure you’ve seen Kuma’s thread Troika anyone? . The rebuild by Goldring looks so good, but the quoted £350 excluding shipping in 2019 could be almost double that now in these troubled times, with doubts about other rebuilders.

2 Likes

Just worth bearing in mind that the SC would benefit the LP12 and the CDX2…

2 Likes

Definitely, but that open window could also highlight work to be done on the LP12 even more, whereas the CD-side looks fine now.

So @c2photo could end up with two upgrades then. Which is fine if within planning, budget, etc. but the original question was either/or.

So that in my opinion would depend upon the SC opportunity, the general condition/spec of the LP12, the choice of primary source and of course the total budget now and later. Interesting dilemma!

4 Likes

Agreed @Svetty . I’m a big fan of what a Karousel brings, but if you listen equally to both sources then the addition of an SC to power the preamp will improve everything significantly.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your insights and views
Have one more question sort of related… is there any difference between an Olive SC vs a SC2 in sound quality?

I believe the Olive SC cannot be DR’ed - while the Black SC2 can…

1 Like

If I’ve understood others debate this in previous questions and threads, they are same basic design, although later variants, given that 10-15 years later, the SC2 is in a different case and uses some different components, in production.

In theory, that should be same, or at the least very similar.

The next variant along was DR, which you probably know is a different design and an obvious step up.

I have a nagging let’s say outstanding question about such things, as I hear a very slight difference between my Olive HC (serviced in 2021) and a HiCap2. The latter being preferred.

This difference wasn’t easily explained when I asked a similar question. The difference is not significant and may well be explained as simple incremental improvements to the basic design over time, in production (as was suggested at the time).

2 Likes

@c2photo
Just to help those following this thread to help you - question - what do you prefer or use most - CD or vinyl ?

2 Likes

@ratrat good question…I listen mainly to CD at the moment as I think its sounds slightly better than the LP12 at the moment, a little more convenient but who knows what will happen with a Karousel upgrade and possibly the Troika later on?

@c2photo
Okay, that’s useful to know.

CDX2 + XPS is a fine CD playback solution.

Given what you have just said…
Also, assuming you would like to do both, but have limited budget right now and can only do one, then here are a few thoughts.

Add the SuperCap for now. The whole system will benefit. Most immediately it will benefit your primary source CD.

The only caveat here is that others have reported changing 2xHC for SC is a minor, not major, upgrade. But in any case the important consideration is this is an upgrade that will benefit both sources.

Come back to the LP12 later. Knowing your NAC pre-amp will better resolve any upgrade improvements on the LP12.

The only reason to cause any change and go the other choice, is if you make a conscious decision to play more vinyl.

Out of curiosity, is your LP12 original bearing or later Cirkus?

KR
R

1 Like

More musing…

Just in case you are considering spending more time with vinyl, via your LP12…

My own was a basic LP12 untouched from the 1980’s. It got used and loved lots. Never any problems. Just plonk a record on and play.

Having added several upgrades concurrently, recently, it is now our best source and magical to listen to. We are transfixed listening to vinyl records and marvel at how good this old retainer has now become.

But, it now asks for more downstream and so I’ve been looking at better (best) phono stages and Naim amplifiers a new. In your case, maybe the rest of your (Naim) system is already there or there abouts.

However, for you, (adding a SC) freeing up a HC might be useful later to use with an external Naim phono stage : Pre-fix ; StageLine ; SuperLine.

Win win :wink:

3 Likes

I would always go source first - and as others have said the Karsouel on LP12 is superb, but the supercap on th 82 should be a game changer on the 82 - when I added SC to my 282 it was a game changer

both are great upgrades, SC will add to whole system - Karsouel to LP12 both will make you smile

2 Likes

So, I guess the summary is:

Go for the Supercap right away, smile;

Hear the LP12 fall behind CD more, frown;

Make an upgrade plan for the LP12, cringe (at your wallet damage);

Once the LP12 has returned upgraded, smile double. :grinning:

3 Likes

Its is a Circus but not the original. Peter at Cymbiosis changed it out last time it was there…

1 Like

Peter at #Cymbiosis would be your best guide on this, he has both LP12’s Karousel and Circus set up to demonstrate. Whilst you are there speak with Phil about going down the streaming route. If you listen to CD’s more than vinyl, then streaming could be a good choice. My LP collection is around 250 LP’s, I have determined it is not cost effective to do any more upgrades to my vinyl listening. I admit to having a Pink Triangle, the original, with a DC motor, which has being upgraded by Peter, Arm/Cartridge and a general service. It made an LP12 Majik sound quite pale. I’d do it quickly, as soon as international travel restrictions are lifted he will have two years worth of globe trotting to do visiting his international clients.

3 Likes