Upgrade to Cisco switch...do I need two

:small_blue_diamond:Quinn_MIT,…Contrary to what you think,.I have respect for that No-Quarter takes its installation seriously.

Everything is important when installing a product in a music system.
It knows everyone who has experience of installation work with music-systems.

Therefore, “Attention To Detail” is a good benchmark to consider.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:James_n,…Have you tested,…so that you make such a statement from your OWN experience.??

/Peder🙂

Peder - actually I have. I borrowed a Chord Shawline and a Chord Epic ‘Streaming’ cable to try as the last metre in my setup. Roon Nucleus > Cisco 2960 > 30m Cat 5e > final metre > Devialet 220 Pro. Both cables sounded different, but I ended up with a Farnell branded Cat 6 cable which to me sounded the best (IMHO). From a technical perspective I can’t understand what goes in to the engineering of an Audiophile Ethernet cable to make it so expensive.

No quarter…I too use the spdif input and upnp connections…to answer your question …no the Cisco switch will not affect the direct connection performance of the uniticore via your DC1 cable …totally different inputs …and I’m sure you have noticed that you can play different tracks on the core and swop between inputs on the app …and hear different songs at the same time…so to speak
By the way …I use a chord interconnect instead of the DC1

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:Swedish Entreq Powercable £ 7000:-.

:small_orange_diamond:Do not comment :grin:, I have promised to help him with cabledressing.

:small_blue_diamond:James_n,…1. This I have respect for, you should always try in your own music-system before you pronounce yourself.

I have another experience that you probably understand :wink:.
Even Darke Bear has changed the perception of Audioquest Vodka ehternet cables in his music-system.
I have tested lots of different ehternet-cables,…in lots of different music-systems.

Only once we heard no difference,.yes,two thought the usual played better,.and two thought the expensive played better.
But the difference was really very,very small.
But otherwise,.always special ehternet-cables have played better where we have tested.
What it depends on,I have no idea.

1. And what you write above,.it probably applies to all cables,…and also other HiFi-products.
    We pay for performance,not for manufacturing cost.

Example…The new ND555 cost not so much to produce,in relation to the consumer price.
Or,.see the powercable on this two pictures above,.it costs in Sweden £ 7000:-.

According to me,insane money for a powercable.
But my friend,who owns the cable thinks it’s worth the investment.

/Peder🙂

Are you sure the switch will not help the DC1 connection? I thought it might better isolate the Core, thus improving the sound…I might be wrong though.Have you received your 2960 yet ?,I am hoping to get mine within a week or so. I use a powerline on my Core and NDS,I might go out today and grab various cat 5e/cat 6 cables to experiment with, along with those couplers that Simon suggests.I have an empty shelf on my Fraim I can “try” the switch on too…

Isolate the core from what? Output from the core via SPDIF has no relation to an Ethernet connection.

You’d hope not but in practice there will be some subtle interaction between the S/PDIF output and what the Ethernet interface is doing.

Hi,
I have decided to check out a Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-L switch in place of one of my current TP-Link switches. The Cisco switch will come without a power lead. Can anyone advise me as to the correct fuse rating for this switch. I have tried to access this information from Cisco manuals online, but haven’t had any luck.

Thanks.

It should say the fuse rating on the back of the Cisco by the IEC inlet.

It doesn’t appear to give the fuse rating, but I reckon that it must surely be 3 amps.

3 amps is what I would have expected.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve got a spare Powerline Lite on mine and I’ve no idea what fuse it has. 13 amp probably.

James, I don’t think it’s anything to do with technicalities :wink:

1 Like

3 Amps

Thanks Simon.

I have now got the Cisco switch up and running, but had a minor glitch which I don’t think can be attributed to the switch change, but it does seem to be a bit of a coincidence.

When I powered up the new switch, to which my Roon Rock NUC and Sonore microRendu are connected, I was able to successfully connect to Roon Core, select my microRendu as the zone (on this occasion) using my iPad and begin playing an album - all fine and dandy.

However, my Roon Remote app quickly lost its connection and I wasn’t able to reconnect. I was able to connect via the Roon app on my (hard ethernet wired) Windows 10 PC. I tried a number of things including rebooting my Roon Rock NUC but without success - I still couldn’t connect from my iPad. Finally I uninstalled Roon Remote from my iPad & re-installed it from the Apple Store. This did the trick and I am able to connect to the Roon Core once again. A bit of a pain since the configuration has been lost & so I am going to have to configure it again.

I have never had a problem of this sort since installing Roon a number of months ago. Am I correct in my assumption that the issue occurring at the time I swapped from the TP-Link switch to the Cisco switch has to be a coincidence? I don’t see how replacing the switch could possibly have had anything to do with it.

Ok, that might be because your home network isn’t handling multicast discovery correctly… or more to the point the device that sends the discovery advertisements might have an issue (for cheap unmanaged switches, they don’t care and blindly transmit this information whether it’s correct or not)… but the Cisco switch expects this to be correct (if memory serves me right) and one would need to log into the switch to disable to get it to act like a cheap consumer switch, The functionality I am referring to is IGMP snooping.
One thing that might help with Roon Core and your iPad, is ensure IPv6 is running and enabled on your router… that is more efficient for discovery and Roon will use IPv6 if available. This will only help Core / iPad connectivity, as Naim don’t yet support IPv6.
A similar thing happened to another forum member, and when they enabled IPv6 the issues went away.

BTW if you enable IPv6 on your router, you may need to reboot devices so they configure with an ipv6 and IPv4 address.

I took Simon’s advice and configured my 2960 to perform IGMP querier services. This certainly aided multicast discovery for me.

Thanks Simon.

Looks like I am going to have to give your IPv6 suggestion a go, because my iPad has just lost its connection to Ron Core again after around 30 minutes and I can’t get it to reconnect.

I’ll have a look at this tomorrow if I can remember how to get Admin access on my Sky Q router.

Hmack,
i have already read in a past thread that someone had the same problem, switching from a common switch to the cisco. Your roon lack of connection is not a coincidence.
It was debated in the new forum.